On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Lower volume boot than Nordica Strider?

So, in a moment of weakness after dealing with boots that didn't work I.....bought another pair of boots that didn't work. Hastily, I tried on the Striders on a Saturday night and bought them then and there. I should have known better when they felt that good right out of the box. The strider seems like a really great boot, but just not for my feet.

Anyway, for the last month I have been trying to make them work, but damn the forefoot has a ton of volume. It's a 100mm last, but it feels "tall" if that makes sense.

My gut says Lange Freetour. I skied lange boots for maybe 8 years or so. They always worked really well. The freetour is also a 100mm last, but I would think it has to be slightly lower volume than the strider no?

I have narrow ass feet. Normal alpine boot is Doberman plug boot. I've struggled in many touring boots that were too wide and too tall as you say. For me the best solution has been scarpa freedom 're. Not very light but skis well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    I have narrow ass feet. Normal alpine boot is Doberman plug boot. I've struggled in many touring boots that were too wide and too tall as you say. For me the best solution has been scarpa freedom 're. Not very light but skis well.

Freedom RS? 101mm last, but maybe not so tall?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So, in a moment of weakness after dealing with boots that didn't work I.....bought another pair of boots that didn't work. Hastily, I tried on the Striders on a Saturday night and bought them then and there. I should have known better when they felt that good right out of the box. The strider seems like a really great boot, but just not for my feet.

Anyway, for the last month I have been trying to make them work, but damn the forefoot has a ton of volume. It's a 100mm last, but it feels "tall" if that makes sense.

My gut says Lange Freetour. I skied lange boots for maybe 8 years or so. They always worked really well. The freetour is also a 100mm last, but I would think it has to be slightly lower volume than the strider no?
    XT Freetour comes in a 97mm last as well.

LANGE XT Freetour, LV

Highly recommend with last 97mm same as their race RS130.
    i compensate for "high feeling" with other thin insole, under regular insole for my asymmetrical left foot

BTW. Scarpa Maestrale is mor or les same width as Lange LV, but Lange is definitely much more comfortable, light and stiff. Better as Atomic hawx LTD and i dint ski Nordica strider.

I was thinking LV model, but measuring my foot on paper my last is righ around 99mm. Pretty close and I do plan on throwing some intuition luxury liners in whatever boots I get.

Maybe 10 years ago I used to ski these green Lange Banshee boots. I think they were a 98mm last and were fantastic. Hmmmm.

I have the freetours 100mm. The bootfitter told me to have a narrow foot and went for 100mm anyways wich was confusing but they are a great boot and I think the toebox is really "flat", so there is litte to no space above the toes wich gives a nice snug feeling. From the discussion along the boot-fitting I remember that the rest of the last towards and with the instep got a bit higher than older Lange models... so maybe you want to consider this when comparing to your older ones.

"Freedom RS? 101mm last, but maybe not so tall?"

I realize the stated last seems large. But I went to backcountry and tried on every touring boot they have. This was the only 1 that had a performance for without having to downside too much. I even have a punch on 6 to area, which my Dobermans don't. Lange LV would only work for me with considerable shim work which decreases performance too much.

I was thinking LV model, but measuring my foot on paper my last is righ around 99mm. Pretty close and I do plan on throwing some intuition luxury liners in whatever boots I get.

Maybe 10 years ago I used to ski these green Lange Banshee boots. I think they were a 98mm last and were fantastic. Hmmmm.
    My foot measures about 110mm with bunions and I ski the 97mm Lange last with some punches at the fifth and first met heads no problem. You don't have to ski them the way they fit out of the box.

Tecnica Cochise is in the same category and much lower over the instep.

Lange XT Free LV (97mm) would be the next option, with more room over the top of the foot but much less overall volume than the strider.

Lupo AX would be the closest to strider while still having less overall volume.

my foot measure 104mm across the forefoot, I ski the RS 130 LV no problem, with no boot work.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    my foot measure 104mm across the forefoot, I ski the RS 130 LV no problem, with no boot work.
    In what size?
    Doesn't width change with mondo size.
    My foot measures 104 too but no way I can wear a lange lv in 26 without boot work. The 100mm last is good without stretching though.

When manufacturers (and us) state last width what is the reference mondo size - 26?? 27??
    And is it usually +/- 2mm as you go up/ down a size??

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    In what size?
    Doesn't width change with mondo size.
    My foot measures 104 too but no way I can wear a lange lv in 26 without boot work. The 100mm last is good without stretching though.

When manufacturers (and us) state last width what is the reference mondo size - 26?? 27??
    And is it usually +/- 2mm as you go up/ down a size??
    The reference size for men's boots is usually 26/26.5, and yes the forefoot width usually changes by 2mm with each shell size change.

Freetours are also "tall" boots. The 100 last version is down right cavernous. Quit listening to your gut and listen to what you have been told and find someone that knows this shit. I'm not trying to be a dick but asking here likely isn't going to help you.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Damn. I've been looking all over for a pair of strider 130s in a 27.5 and have had no luck. That Corbetts sale linked in gear swap seamed to have a number of lower volume stiff tour boots available as of this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Tecnica Cochise is in the same category and much lower over the instep.
    I found the striders to be quite comfy but went with the ever so slightly tighter and significantly cheaper Cochise. There really isn’t much difference at all between the strider and Cochise. When i was trying boots on I couldn’t get my feet in the atomics or Solomon’s, both due to instep height, might want to have a look at them.