Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks for keeping the thread alive fellas. I still haven’t bought anything. getting close tho

I still don't have mine. Was told this week tho.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I didn't have a 1x plan thought out, but I thought a go-ride employee told me yesterday to plan for $500 without a carbon crank, maybe he meant with everything? I'm probably not going for a carbon crank though, whats the best weight/cost ratio for 1x, XT/XTR combo? (XX1 is expensive, dang!)

Copy on the tubes, I'll stop the flow of tears soon.
    Get a narrow wide chainring, 40 tooth cog, and a goat link for the derailleur, maybe $150 total? Remove front shifter and derailleur and voila.

Carbon crank is kinda dumb if you don't have fuck you money. All of my cranks are way dented up. Just do what zzz said.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

i think I can save some good weight getting a specific 1X XTR crank though. Copy on the carbon though, I bent a Deore one last year, carbon would be sketchy.

You can do this in steps. My wife was perfectly happy with just putting on a narrow/wide. She doesn't miss the smaller gears, but I could add it if we start riding different terrain.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

OK, I've been slogging through online new-wheel research for my Giant Reign 2 from 2015. I added a coil rear shock to it and now it's a bit of a tank on the uphills. I'm hoping to save weight with a new wheelset, but I think I have to go carbon to make it worthwhile. My stock wheelset is roughly 2100-2200g now. A lot of Reign-owning people went with hope hubs and Stans Flow to save weight it seems, but those weigh only a bit less, or are identical to the stock rims and hubs. Am I right on this???

Any advice on wheels would be awesome, the math to get proper strength-to-cost-and-weight ratio is killing me.
    According to the calculator here, a hope/flow mk3 27.5 wheelset with DT revs and alloy nipples is 1750g or a solid pound less than your stock wheels. You can get this build for about $550 from Colorado Cyclist. You can go 14/15g spokes on the disc side front and drive side rear for a bit more stiffness at a 25g per wheel weight penalty, wheelset still under 1800g.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-weight-calculator.html

Last edited by Jonny Snow; 06-19-2018 at 05:30 PM.

What would I need to do buy weight and spend to make it all worthwhile? My guess is minimum .20 pounds per wheel lighter, but for this how much should I expect to pay? It seems silly to spend $1200+ on a $3000 bike, so 600-800 is doable. Which means aluminum and about a 2000g wheelset which I already have, right? I can't go to a super light XC rim unfortunately.

Plan B is lose a half pound with a lighter coil spring, convert to tubeless, and convert to one chainring. This may cost about $750-$1000, not sure, and I might lose 2-4 pounds.

Plan C is lose a half pound with a lighter coil spring, convert to tubeless all for under $100.... and save up to buy a second bike, a used 29er that is great on climbs and OK on descents for a lot of the mellow Park City riding we have.
    Well, the good news is that almost everything on that bike is fairly heavy, so you could upgrade almost anything and save some weight! Look on the bright side!

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/reign-27dot5-2-2015

Lets start with what's NOT all that heavy.

- Crank arms are about 650g, only 50g more than XT or SLX, have to go XTR (500g) or something expensive and fancy to really save weight
    - Brakeset is only a few grams heavier than XT or SLX, an XTR race brakeset is about 1/4 lb lighter
    - Dropper post is a bit over 600g, not much more than most
    - Shifter and rear derailleur aren't that much heavier than XT M8000
    - The Pike is still the benchmark for light, stiff long travel forks

I'd do the following, in this order:

- Go tubeless ($20-30), save about 200g or nearly a half pound
    - 1x with a narrow wide 30 or 32t ring ($35+), 11-42t sunrace MX3 10spd ($50), XT m8000 cage mod ($20), new chain ($15). Should drop well over a pound - ditching the very heavy steel chainrings, guide, derailleur, shifter, while the cassette and cage will weigh about the same
    - ESI chunky foam grips ($15), lighter, feel good, but not durable if you hit trees or crash alot
    - Maxxis DHR2 27.5x2.3 3C front ($60), DC rear ($50), should save about a half pound over the stock Hans Dampf "performance" model
    - FOX SLS coil ($100+) saves 200g nearly a half pound. However a Monarch RC3 would be over a pound lighter and can be had for $250 as a takeoff
    - Hope Pro 4 / Flow Mk3 wheelset as discussed above ($550). Or just do it with the tires/tubeless at the same time
    - New cockpit, Answer carbon bar 215g on ebay ($65), light short quality stem 150g ($50), SDG Ti seat NOS 200g ($50), should save at least a half pound, probably more
    - Switch to 180mm rotor front, 160mm rear with no adapter. Cost is for 160mm rotor ($15) only, saves maybe 100g or so? Loses a bit of braking power and fade resistance, if that matters to you, but still fine for trail riding

Overall, by my math, that comes to a grand total of around $1100 and a weight savings of around 4.5 lbs with the coil spring. That's a pretty huge difference. The bike should currently be around 34lb, that gets you below 30lb, a viable trail riding weight, with much more maneuverable wheels. If you like the geometry and the bike is in otherwise good shape, it's totally worth it, this is a major comprehensive upgrade.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 06-19-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Per JS, there are pretty deep wheel discounts on Colorado Cyclist. I just priced a Stans Flow/Hope wheelset built and shipped for around $500. Get that while it lasts.

Johnny, I appreciate you took a half hour-hour break from posting bat-shit racist alt-right posts on other forums to do that research. Some of what you posted is a bit off, as in I have a Cane Creek DOuble barrel Coil as a rear shock, but it s helpful and I'll come back to reference this over time. Sounds like my wheelset issue is solved thanks to a very generous friend, so time to make it a 1x and maybe do a few more "fun"upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You can do this in steps. My wife was perfectly happy with just putting on a narrow/wide. She doesn't miss the smaller gears, but I could add it if we start riding different terrain.
    My bike is about 36 pounds, I can't get rid of my smaller gears with a popular section of trail here called "Puke Hill". The whole reason I haven't gone 1x is because I didn't want to compromise gears, now it seems like there are easy, plentiful options to avoid this....maybe. I hate spinning out on fast downhills and I hate not having some easy gears on a big-pig-rig.

My bike is about 36 pounds, I can't get rid of my smaller gears with a popular section of trail here called "Puke Hill".
    Harden up, Nancy. My 45 lb kid rode it on a 25 lb bike on Sunday

Jokes aside, I would not have expected that. That's almost as much as my old Demo7 weighed. You may actually need Eagle. So, you have 2x10 now? One option you have is to just remove the FD/shifter, replace your big ring with a NW, but leave your little ring on there. For those extra suffery climbs take 30 seconds to hop off the bike and hand shift it. Not glamorous, but it's cheap, drops some weight and preserves your current gear range.

Also, excellent Damien burn.

My bike is about 36 pounds, I can't get rid of my smaller gears with a popular section of trail here called "Puke Hill". The whole reason I haven't gone 1x is because I didn't want to compromise gears, now it seems like there are easy, plentiful options to avoid this....maybe. I hate spinning out on fast downhills and I hate not having some easy gears on a big-pig-rig.
    Call me simple, but XT cassette, shifter and derailleur with the biggest granny gear you can get on the cassette (46 tooth). 30 or 32 tooth nw chain ring, and harden up for grunty climbs like Puke Hill.

My wife is 1 year post-partum from our second kid and winches herself up all the Park City stuff on a stock Liv Hail 2 (ladies Reign) with that drivetrain setup. On flat pedals. Because she's stubborn and doesn't want to hear that she's making things irrationally difficult on herself. But I digress.

OK, so an eight year old and a post-partum older woman are tougher than me. Fair enough. Anyone got a blind 90 year old grandma doing puke hill on a DH bike for the trifecta?

Johnny, I appreciate you took a half hour-hour break from posting bat-shit racist alt-right posts on other forums to do that research. Some of what you posted is a bit off, as in I have a Cane Creek DOuble barrel Coil as a rear shock, but it s helpful and I'll come back to reference this over time. Sounds like my wheelset issue is solved thanks to a very generous friend, so time to make it a 1x and maybe do a few more "fun"upgrades.
    OK, good luck.

Who runs cane creek shocks these days anyway? You're stuck in 2010.

OK, so an eight year old and a post-partum older woman are tougher than me. Fair enough. Anyone got a blind 90 year old grandma doing puke hill on a DH bike for the trifecta?
    Hey now - by the time Mrs Shred is older, she will probably have more common sense in the bike weight department.

But it's Park City - I'm sure we can find a grandma who can stomp all of us up Armstrong-Pinecone if we look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    But it's Park City - I'm sure we can find a grandma who can stomp all of us up Armstrong-Pinecone if we look around.
    Should take about five minutes of dead cat swinging, tops.

PM Rontele

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Should take about five minutes of dead cat swinging, tops.
    I saw her about 3 minutes after riding Puke Hill on Fathers Day, she was almost at the top of Pinecone and looked like she could crush my soul.

I just saw Devinci announced the new Troy with superboost spacing. Tell me this isn’t really coming from everyone

I hope so. Boost is pointless and dumb. If 135/142 is going away (which it is), replace it with an adaptation of an existing standard that's backwards compatible. Super Boost isn't a great name, but it's a much more practical standard than Boost.

ETA: I hedged my latest bike on SB superseding Boost, so I'll admit that I'm a bit biased in favor of its success.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Probably could cough up around $1500 for some new hoops. Maybe a little more if I was convinced there was a reason to.

I don't Enduro, I just ride my bike and try not to get hurt at this point.

Considering the SC Reserve carbons and just found the I9 ano lab tool on their site which got me thinking about just getting a boss AL setup.

Anyone?
    GET ON IT!!!!!

Santa Cruz Reserve 27 Wheelset 27.5" Boost DT 350 XD - $899 with coupon "ARTS10".

https://www.artscyclery.com/Santa_Cr...SCR2727DB.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    GET ON IT!!!!!

Santa Cruz Reserve 27 Wheelset 27.5" Boost DT 350 XD - $899 with coupon "ARTS10".

https://www.artscyclery.com/Santa_Cr...SCR2727DB.html
    Bump. Wheelset still available.

^^thanks for heads up, already got an i9 ALU setup on the way. Guess I could sell that...

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    ^^thanks for heads up, already got an i9 ALU setup on the way. Guess I could sell that...
    Did you get them in fruit loops colors?