Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    How the fuck could a hub be noodly?
    Lack of material (light), small diameter axle, small diameter hub shell, spongy engagement of freehub mechanism.

Shimano hubs have gone from an old style road hub design, to "paralax" style shells with traditional axles, and then to oversize axles even on QR hubs.

Aftermarket hubs started to get oversized in the 90's, and now all but the lightest weight weenie hubsets use an oversized design. For stiffness. If you think about it, its easy to see that hubs are constantly subjected to a huge amount of point forces and torques. Especially with the goofy ass overly stiff plastic wagon wheels people insist on running.

How the fuck could a hub be noodly?
    I always associate noodly wheels with flexy rims, poor spoke tension and/or thin sidewalls. I've had less than high end SRAM hubs on my bike for 1500 miles and they feel stiff and solid.

Tension is the biggest issue.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I can buy the idea of a hub making a wheelset feeling stiffer than others. Take a hub that's got short flanges, and you're going to have less bracing. That was one of the arguments for boost, push the flanges further out and get better angle of spokes going to the rim. From what I remember, DT Swiss's hubs have shorter flanges than others, so could be some of it.

I've had DT 240s with straightpull for 2 years now, and can't imagine how they'd be perceived as noodly. They're on LB carbon rims, and have been on carbon frame bikes with carbon handlebars, so it's not like the rest of my setup is particularly flexy. I now have the 54t ratchet, and like that a lot better than the 36t - the faster engagement is noticeable when working over roots or rock water bars, or trying to get a couple pedal strokes in between turns. Likewise, I found going to an XD driver was an improvement for engagement as well - I found that I tend to mangle HG drivers, which then creates a bit play when I stomp on the pedals.

I'm calling bullshit on the idea that hub shell shape and flange size is going to be noticeable by anyone other than Greg Minnaar.

Light weight alloy xc rims vs heavy carbon rims? Sure. Any machine built OEM wheelset vs anything handbuilt to adequate balanced tension? Fuck yea.
    Change the tires, the trails being ridden, the frame materials and linkage design, shock/fork quality and days since last service, or just how the average dentist rider is feeling on any given day and tell me he can feel the hubs through all that feedback? Seriously? You my friends should be doing bike part reviews professionally. That's a level of knowledge and sensitivity previously unseen anywhere in the world outside of the Syndicate pits.

But hey, if you can drive down the price of DT hubs, be my guest.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I just love throwing seeds of doubt into things. Geometrically, it can make sense.

Bike nerd sniping has become a favorite past time lately.

If anybody doesn't believe there is a subtle but noticeable difference in the feel (perceived flex) of hubs, they are hallucinating.

JHC, of course hubs make a difference, just like all the parts make a difference, but who has 2 exact tire-hub-spoke-rim etc. setups with just hubs being different to compare back to back?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    If anybody doesn't believe there is a subtle but noticeable difference in the feel (perceived flex) of hubs, they are hallucinating.
    Have you noticed how black anodized hubs flex less than silver hubs? I'm pretty sure the anodizing adds a small, but perceptible, measure of stiffness.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Come on EVERYONE knows red hubs are the stiffest.

This is a universal truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I just love throwing seeds of doubt into things. Geometrically, it can make sense.

Bike nerd sniping has become a favorite past time lately.
    The most honest statement in this thread. Maybe in all of TGR Land today. I concur.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Come on EVERYONE knows red hubs are the stiffest.

This is a universal truth.
    How dare you, sir? The red hubs are the Fastest. Stiffness is a whole different matter and requires careful examination of the pigments' interaction with elasticity, relative thickness, and leverage. Obviously their impact on weight, aerodynamics and simple friction may be ignored when discussing stiffness, despite their universally-recognized impacts on speed. Please keep this serious discussion on track. For the integrity of the archive. For the children. Thank you.

Even if it's narrower, and has shorter flanges, that's still not the actual hub shell that is noodly.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    JHC, of course hubs make a difference, just like all the parts make a difference, but who has 2 exact tire-hub-spoke-rim etc. setups with just hubs being different to compare back to back?
    I had the opportunity. With the same tires. Tested on a bike whith no plastic save for the m730s.

DT stands for dentist. Everyone knows that.
    bumps are for poor people

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    All this. Another satisfied E13 customer here.

Had Hopes on my last two bikes and the E13s on my current bike are even louder.
    I rented a Scout and it had E13 hubs and damn those were so loud. Not a fan of that noise.

Took a walk thru the SC assembly factory. The spokes are put in by hand, then put into this machine, and the finishing touches are done by hand.

There's nothing magical about handbuilt wheels. I've seen mislaced spokes from machine and artisan™ alike. I've seen more mistakes from handbuilt. Usually just a spoke that doesn't cross the others correctly. They're all supposed to be checked by hand anyway. I doubt that applies to sub 2k bikes from specialized etc however.

If I had a lacing machine you can be damn well sure I'd use it. Those things are awesome.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I rented a Scout and it had E13 hubs and damn those were so loud. Not a fan of that noise.

Took a walk thru the SC assembly factory. The spokes are put in by hand, then put into this machine, and the finishing touches are done by hand.
    I repacked my hub with copious amounts of a lighter weight grease recently and the noise is much improved. So much so that walkers aren't hearing me coming any more. More cowbell.

In other news, the rear hub axle is bent and it's fucking up my shifting. That Eagle is sensitive. I heard it's a known issue and e13 has been super responsive. Just sent them out pics of the parts I need, they say it'll be in the mail tomorrow. Waiting to hear back if they'll send me a couple since it is a known issue. I bet they do.

Also think they addressed this on the new hubs. Mine are first gen.

edit: Damn, they are fast. They're sending me out two axle assemblies. Props to e13.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 04-30-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I pulled the trigger on a set of Stans with a DT hub. Hanging in the shop discussing it became more and more clear that I could easily damage a carbon wheel much easier than an alum on the trails we ride like Fort Rock. More from being sloppy and a side shark hit than a blunt head on impact at speed.

I pulled the trigger on a set of Stans with a DT hub. Hanging in the shop discussing it became more and more clear that I could easily damage a carbon wheel much easier than an alum on the trails we ride like Fort Rock. More from being sloppy and a side shark hit than a blunt head on impact at speed.
    Nice. I haven't done anything on wheels yet, but my ribs are ride ready!

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Nice. I haven't done anything on wheels yet, but my ribs are ride ready!
    That's good. The rib thing is so tough. Time and patience.

I've been riding a set of carbon wheels for about a month now and haven't taken a direct hit to the rim yet. I have noticed myself rolling through the rocky stuff differently though so I guess that intuitively I'm protecting the investment. On my last ride I started pointing it through the rough stuff a bit more directly so we'll see. I'm currently running 2.8's on 51mm (outer) so will probably bump that to a 3.0 for a bit more piece of mind having a touch more bulge above the rim. It sure is nice having a rim that spins up so quickly though Now I just gotta get my fat ass to live up to the gear

What wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    What wheels?
    https://www.dirtcomponents.com/produ...pine-dirt-hubs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1359.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	235286
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1361.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	235287
    Pics are to show sidewall profile. Tire measure 2.82 at sidewall bulge. I'll try to get a better shot in the daylight while out riding tomorrow.