Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Never mind what ski threads, how about a what wheelset thread?

Probably could cough up around $1500 for some new hoops. Maybe a little more if I was convinced there was a reason to.

I don't Enduro, I just ride my bike and try not to get hurt at this point.

Considering the SC Reserve carbons and just found the I9 ano lab tool on their site which got me thinking about just getting a boss AL setup.

Anyone?
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 04-29-2018 at 06:44 AM.

I'll sell you a near new (6 rides) set of Roval SL Fatties for $800.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I'll sell you a near new (6 rides) set of Roval SL Fatties for $800.
    That’s a good deal. Do you have any in wagon wheel flavor?

I'm a practical guy- I rock DT Swiss 350 hubs laced to XM481 rims- solid, simple. Sure, carbon is more sexy, but they can break and leave you stranded.

Check out lacemine29 online. Mike Curiak does all kinds of sweet custom wheels for bikes. He's based out of Grand Junction, CO and has a nice website that may give you some ideas.

What size tires are you running?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got some I9 Enduro 305s for my 16’ Bronson. They’ve been stellar. Held up to everything and, since I didn’t give a shit about spoke color, I got them in 2 days. The lifetime warranty on the reserves is silly but I bought my i9’s 3 months before they released them (and for Over $1k less).

Allspeed deals with both. I’d stop by there and see if they can set you up with a side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    That’s a good deal. Do you have any in wagon wheel flavor?
    I do, but not for sale.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Buy the Rovals if you count grams, buy the i9s if you want looks.
    My only concern with carbon is; what’s your replacement option WHEN they break?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    I'm a practical guy- I rock DT Swiss 350 hubs laced to XM481 rims- solid, simple. Sure, carbon is more sexy, but they can break and leave you stranded.
    This. 350s with a XM 481 front & EX 511 rear here, built for €400.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What size tires are you running?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Buy the Rovals if you count grams, buy the i9s if you want looks.
    My only concern with carbon is; what’s your replacement option WHEN they break?
    SC has a silly lifetime warranty on the Reserves

[/QUOTE]Allspeed deals with both. I’d stop by there and see if they can set you up with a side by side.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I talked to Chris about the Reserves awhile ago then I stopped in last week and Mike was playing on the I9 site, got me thinking about skipping on the carbon and getting better hubs
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 03-06-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post

Check out lacemine29 online. Mike Curiak does all kinds of sweet custom wheels for bikes. He's based out of Grand Junction, CO and has a nice website that may give you some ideas.
    Is that Mikesee on MTBR?

I was just at a local shop last week and a guy riding our local tech area blew up two carbon rims in his last two rides recently. Stories like that keep me away from carbon wheelsets.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I was just at a local shop last week and a guy riding our local tech area blew up two carbon rims in his last two rides recently. Stories like that keep me away from carbon wheelsets.
    Right? I think I could only justify going carbon would be with the warranty SC has on theirs.

How's your knee dood?

Stans Flow MK3 on Hope Pros or DT 350s - $550

Skip the carbon, save some money, and just go ride and have fun. You'll never think twice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Right? I think I could only justify going carbon would be with the warranty SC has on theirs.

How's your knee dood?
    Knee is back to my perfect! Hoping to get a fatty ride in tomorrow during the storm before it gets too deep...if it doesn't rain down here.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post

Skip the carbon, save some money, and just go ride and have fun. You'll never think twice about it.
    Hope and flow. Laugh at your friends who spent $1000+ more than you for 40 grams weight savings and a "sweet warranty"

Only justification I can see is if you are a big guy, ride hard and on 29er, then bet you'll get some benefit from the added stiffness of carbon. Otherwise just an insane price jump.

I say all this without having ridden carbon wheels, I'm sure they're pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post

Is $550 building them yourself?

Is $550 building them yourself?
    About $550 for the Hope / Mk3 series custom wheelset with revolution spokes and alloy nipples, or about $900 with DT 240s:

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/27-5...bike-wheelsets

Strongly consider the Arch MK3 if you're ok with a 26mm internal width rim. Set of 240s with the 27.5 Arch Mk3 and 28x Revs/alloy nips comes in at 1510g, which is super light for a trail wheelset under $1K.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-we...alculator.html

Cost is a valid reason to avoid carbon wheels. I'm not sure that durability is. Quality, well-built carbon wheels are tough as nails. Based on what I've seen and experienced, if a hit destroys a carbon rim, there's a pretty good chance you would have destroyed an AL rim as well. Conjecture and all that...I can say for sure that I've had some teeth-jarring, tire killing hits that barely made a mark on the rim.

Any wheel can be destroyed, and that definitely stings if it's a carbon wheel, but warranties and crash-replacement policies offset that. You want the Reserves. Get 'em.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I got some I9s for sale in your size.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2307455/

Could do better on that price. I think the choice between carbon and alu is pretty straightforward : do you regularly destroy alu rims? If so, avoid plastic.

Rovals have $250 rebuilt crash replacement.

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I got some I9s for sale in your size.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2307455/

Could do better on that price. I think the choice between carbon and alu is pretty straightforward : do you regularly destroy alu rims? If so, avoid plastic.
    Thanks, I'm a boost user though. And I'm not a rim destroyer, I think the only rim I've ever dinged significantly was on my fat bike from having too low of pressure in it.

Never ridden carbon wheels so not sure if the ride is even noticeable, I'm guessing it's not a game changer when compared to a quality AL setup.

So I don't have any douchey wheels on my pimpy '16 CC Bronson so apparently I need some. Probably could cough up around $1500 for some new hoops. Maybe a little more if I was convinced there was a reason to.

I don't Enduro, I just ride my bike and try not to get hurt at this point.

Considering the SC Reserve carbons and just found the I9 ano lab tool on their site which got me thinking about just getting a boss AL setup.

Anyone?
    What is the exact wheel and tire combo you're running, and what do you weigh? What are you looking for from an upgrade, besides "more douche"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    What is the exact wheel and tire combo you're running, and what do you weigh? What are you looking for from an upgrade, besides "more douche"?
    Rider weighs 160#, currently running WTB asym i35's w/non-boost BHS hubs and adaptors to run in boost frame/fork shod with with Minion DHR/DHF 2.5. Wanting a boost hub wheelset to see if I'm really missing anything, also have a curiosity towards carbon wheel ride. Am I missing something in ride quality that I might find favorable? Kind of sums up why I'm shopping.

The wheels I'm running were built for a different project that has been ridden and moved on from, have them earmarked for a steel hardtail 27+ visionquest which leaves me 'needing' wheels for the Bronson.

Is that Mikesee on MTBR?
    Yes