Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Did you get them in fruit loops colors?
    No, Johnny Cash motif

GET ON IT!!!!!

Santa Cruz Reserve 27 Wheelset 27.5" Boost DT 350 XD - $899 with coupon "ARTS10".

https://www.artscyclery.com/Santa_Cr...SCR2727DB.html
    No longer on sale. I'll bet SC got ahold of them and enforced a MAP.

I'm looking for a 29" alloy setup. 29-30mm internal width, 54 poe or better, boost spacing, shimano freehub, < 1900 grams for the set, < $550.

Through Colorado Cyclist the Stan's Flow MK3 Flow w/ Hope Pro 4 hubs and DT 14/15 black spokes would be $550 after the 10% coupon, but shipping would put them over my budget. Also, the Hope 4 hubs are only 44 poe and, according to wheelbuilder.com, this configuration would be ~1980 grams. Anyone have experience with the Hope Pro 4 hubs?

I've been searching for some new takeoffs (e.13 TRS+ or similar), but coming up empty.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    I'm looking for a 29" alloy setup. 29-30mm internal width, 54 poe or better, boost spacing, shimano freehub, < 1900 grams for the set, < $550.

Through Colorado Cyclist the Stan's Flow MK3 Flow w/ Hope Pro 4 hubs and DT 14/15 black spokes would be $550 after the 10% coupon, but shipping would put them over my budget. Also, the Hope 4 hubs are only 44 poe and, according to wheelbuilder.com, this configuration would be ~1980 grams. Anyone have experience with the Hope Pro 4 hubs?

I've been searching for some new takeoffs (e.13 TRS+ or similar), but coming up empty.
    Bontrager Line Comps or Elites have gotten good reviews on NSMB and would fit that bill. 29mm internal. 54 POE on the Comp, 108 POE on the Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Bontrager Line Comps or Elites have gotten good reviews on NSMB and would fit that bill. 29mm internal. 54 POE on the Comp, 108 POE on the Elite.
    Thanks, I'll look into them. I had Rhythm Elites on my last bike and really liked them.

So the chase ended with a i9 Trail 270 24 hole wheelset, dropped noticeable weight off the bike, feels stiffer and boy is it nice to be rolling on quality hubs again.

Mission accomplished

Sold my Intense with the e13 TRS Race carbon hoops. Hopefully they do as well for the new owner as they did for me.

Took the Reynolds wheel upgrade on the new whip. 2019 Black Label Enduro 29. 34mm Internal, asymetrical rims, Sapim CX ray straight pull bladed spokes, i9 torch hubs. They're not on the website yet but supposedly weight the same as the 28mm internal ones at 1750g. Definitely feel a bit lighter than the 27.5 e13s even with the big rubber. Crazy. They look sick, can't wait to ride them, just waiting on a fork, and this stupid collarbone to heal. Downside is the centerlock brake rotors, hard to find a 200mm, and the not so common spokes. Already picked up a handful of extra spokes but hopefully won't need them. TRP has a high quality slotted 200mm centerlock rotor that's relatively affordable.

Def the nicest wheels I've ever owned. Lifetime warranty too!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	243129

Name:	IMG_4390.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	243128
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Sold my Intense with the e13 TRS Race carbon hoops. Hopefully they do as well for the new owner as they did for me.

Took the Reynolds wheel upgrade on the new whip. 2019 Black Label Enduro 29. 34mm Internal, asymetrical rims, Sapim CX ray straight pull bladed spokes, i9 torch hubs. They're not on the website yet but supposedly weight the same as the 28mm internal ones at 1750g. Definitely feel a bit lighter than the 27.5 e13s even with the big rubber. Crazy. They look sick, can't wait to ride them, just waiting on a fork, and this stupid collarbone to heal. Downside is the centerlock brake rotors, hard to find a 200mm, and the not so common spokes. Already picked up a handful of extra spokes but hopefully won't need them. TRP has a high quality slotted 200mm centerlock rotor that's relatively affordable.

Def the nicest wheels I've ever owned. Lifetime warranty too
    Hopefully the warranty covers those goddam bladed spokes, too?

Never mind what ski threads, how about a what wheelset thread?

I never knew what they hype was all about with the Cx rays until I owned them and looked into them. Apparently, due to the alloy and forging process, they’re considerably stronger than the round ones, at a lighter weight. Who knew? They’re even used on high DH wheels.

Still feels like kind of a leap of faith on my part.

At any rate, Reynolds has more wheel engineering and building experience than most of the other guys combined. Hopefully they’ll be good.

I never knew what they hype was all about with the Cx rays until I owned them and looked into them. Apparently, due to the alloy and forging process, they’re considerably stronger than the round ones, at a lighter weight. Who knew? They’re even used on high DH wheels.
    Hopefully you have better luck than I did - broke 2 almost immediately after putting my wheels on. Broke more on another ride and had the whole wheel rebuilt locally with DT Swiss double-butted spokes. They all broke right where the spoke goes from round to bladed.

I'm still kinda pissed.

Well fuck. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Hopefully you have better luck than I did - broke 2 almost immediately after putting my wheels on. Broke more on another ride and had the whole wheel rebuilt locally with DT Swiss double-butted spokes. They all broke right where the spoke goes from round to bladed.

I'm still kinda pissed.

Shit, I would be too. Now I’m scared. Do have Reynolds wheels or something else? I guess at least Reynolds is here in town, and I have a buddy over there. If I have chronic problems I can harass them face to face.

Shit, I would be too. Now I’m scared. Do have Reynolds wheels or something else? I guess at least Reynolds is here in town, and I have a buddy over there. If I have chronic problems I can harass them face to face.
    Don't be scared.... it's not like you crash alot......

That would be advantageous...

And no - they weren't Reynolds wheels. And perhaps they've sorted out this issue on current Sapim bladed spokes.

For the record: these were all rear-wheel breaks, and I'm not easy on rear wheels. Eventually I cracked the rear rim in addition to all the spoke woes.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Don't be scared.... it's not like you crash alot......
    Who asked you! :P

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post

I love my Pro4s. One of the lighter hubs on the market, cheap, durable, j-bend interface, easy to service, sound great and smooth (replaceable) bearings. The engagement isn't class leading, but still a step up from most OEM or formula hubs. I have a Profile Elite rear hub w/ 204 POE and the drag isn't worth the tradeoff for me on my trailbike so I run it on my DJ. It's a rare move on very technical climbs that I ever miss the quicker engagement.

That would be advantageous...

And no - they weren't Reynolds wheels. And perhaps they've sorted out this issue on current Sapim bladed spokes.

For the record: these were all rear-wheel breaks, and I'm not easy on rear wheels. Eventually I cracked the rear rim in addition to all the spoke woes.
    D’oh! Historically, I’m not easy on wheels either, ha! Broke three Derbys in one summer a while ago. Think things have gotten better since then though. Oh well, guess we’ll see. I’ll post updates as they develop.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    So the chase ended with a i9 Trail 270 24 hole wheelset, dropped noticeable weight off the bike, feels stiffer and boy is it nice to be rolling on quality hubs again.

Mission accomplished
    Those look really nice, great choice all the way around. What did you pay for them?

Still feels like kind of a leap of faith on my part.

At any rate, Reynolds has more wheel engineering and building experience than most of the other guys combined. Hopefully they’ll be good.

I'm still kinda pissed.
    Cx-rays have been around for a long time and are generally regarded as being very strong. I've never heard of them having unusual problems, but a quick search does shows people breaking them due to inadequate spoke tension or possibly being fakes from china. Ultra thin spokes are considerably more elastic and can experience high fatigue stresses depending on a combination of spoke count / pattern, rim stiffness, hub flange dimensions and tension.

I've personally used DT Revolution spokes for over 20 years and have never had one fail. They are the same weight and strength as CX-Ray's at about 1/3rd the cost. My current preferred lacing is 32h, 3x, 14/15g disc front - drive rear, 14/17g Revs non-disc front, disc rear. Alloy nipples. This uses the thinner (more elastic) spokes on the wheel sides that have a higher bracing angle, balancing out wheel stiffness side to side. Builds a very strong, stiff wheel especially with modern rims, while shaving a bit of weight.

Those look really nice, great choice all the way around. What did you pay for them?
    Glad you approve

$850

I've had cx-rays on a few different wheelsets. Never broke one. *shrug*

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So this happened, probably on U Line yesterday:

Name:	rim_crack.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	936.1 KB 
ID:	243378

I don't actually know what the rim make/model is, since I bought my bike used and the seller said they were some rim he got direct from China, and there are no decals on it. Looks a lot like this Light Bicycle rim, though: https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/29-...mm-carbon-rim/

Still holds air and is pretty true, and I put some G-flex epoxy on/in the crack and have it clamped, but I guess I should be shopping for a new rim now. What's the best-value 29er rim that will hold up to abuse?

Why not a new Lightbicycle Carbon rim? Find the rim with the same ERD and rebuild the old wheel onto the new rim. If the ERD is off by a few mm you can use longer or shorter nipples to compensate the difference.
    Lossen all the spokes until the 3/4 of the threads show, place the old wheel over a garbage can (or something that can support it). Place the new rim on top of the old wheel, lining up the valve holes. Transfers the spokes one at a time to the new rim, only threading the nipples in enough to hold the spokes. Once fully laced tighten each spoke up equally until the threads are just covered. At this point you can 1/4 turn each spoke until desired tension, or take it the shop to have it fully tightened and trued. Cheap and easy wheel build.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Why not a new Lightbicycle Carbon rim?
    I agree that a wheel build would be pretty easy with a new LB rim, but I don't want to deal with another cracked rim anytime soon--especially if rims are $300 each or more. I only have about 200 miles on this rim, and I have no idea how many the first owner had on it, but I can't afford to replace $300 rims every 200 miles.

The other complicating factor is that I have a 28h rear hub, which limits rim choices significantly. I guess I could buy a new hub too, but that would be a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I agree that a wheel build would be pretty easy with a new LB rim, but I don't want to deal with another cracked rim anytime soon--especially if rims are $300 each or more. I only have about 200 miles on this rim, and I have no idea how many the first owner had on it, but I can't afford to replace $300 rims every 200 miles.

The other complicating factor is that I have a 28h rear hub, which limits rim choices significantly. I guess I could buy a new hub too, but that would be a bummer.
    DT Swiss makes most of it's medium weight rims in 28h 29er, but the ERD is going to be significantly larger so you're going to need new spokes too. The overall cost vs. a new carbon rim will be pretty comparable. The DT XM481 is the closest as far as weight and width goes.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...untain/xm-481/