Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Not my cup of tea but a pretty good deal if you can make them work for you...$1300 or less:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Wheels?brand=Reynolds

^^thanks, I'm a boosty though. Not my cup of tea either but thanks for heads up

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    ^^thanks, I'm a boosty though. Not my cup of tea either but thanks for heads up
    They are available in boost. I'd get these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Reynolds-En...Boost-Wheelset

Straight pull I-9 hubs, sapim bladed spokes.

$1299.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...t-ride-review/

That's a lot of rim and wheel for $1300:

https://gearjunkie.com/carbon-bike-wheels-reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    They are available in boost. I'd get these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Reynolds-En...Boost-Wheelset

Straight pull I-9 hubs, sapim bladed spokes.

$1299.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...t-ride-review/

That's a lot of rim and wheel for $1300:

https://gearjunkie.com/carbon-bike-wheels-reynolds
    That seems like a good deal--anyone got a jenson coupon to drop it down a little more? with activejunky and another 75$ off I want to pull the trigger.

Deal or not, I just can’t swallow $1300 for wheels when I’m perfectly content with my Hope/Stans combo that has lasted me years and still feel like the day they were built.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

never seen a jenson coupon other than the 20% or 15% on full price items only, usually very limited and lots of exclusions

$1300 for a Lifetime Warranty Carbon wheelset built up on i9 hubs? What's not to like about that?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quick question for the collective. When I bought my bike used, it came with a pair of enve xc wheels (19mm internal width) laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs. This is a non boost (15x100 and 10x135) wheelset and has been a big upgrade from previous wheels. I have wanted to run a little larger tires at times but I think I'm maxing out size for the rim width. I really couldn't care less about the brand name. Questions are:

Would I get similar performance out of a non-enve rim (light bicycle, etc.)?

Any dream of selling these and picking up the off brand rims for about the same price? (I.e. is there any market for a non boost 19mm internal width rim?)

I may be limited to a ~2.6" tire on the rear of my tallboy, but I could go a little bigger in the front.

I'm not positive that the hassle is worth it, but occasionally this thought crosses my mind.

Thanks,

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Quick question for the collective. When I bought my bike used, it came with a pair of enve xc wheels (19mm internal width) laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs. This is a non boost (15x100 and 10x135) wheelset and has been a big upgrade from previous wheels. I have wanted to run a little larger tires at times but I think I'm maxing out size for the rim width. I really couldn't care less about the brand name. Questions are:

Any dream of selling these and picking up the off brand rims for about the same price? (I.e. is there any market for a non boost 19mm internal width rim?)

I may be limited to a ~2.6" tire on the rear of my tallboy, but I could go a little bigger in the front.

I'm not positive that the hassle is worth it, but occasionally this thought crosses my mind.

Thanks,

Seth

I can't speak for older enve's, but modern enve's ride noticeably better than any other carbon rim I've ridden. Damp and smooth, but still stiff. That said, there's not a fucking chance I'd ever pay anywhere close to retail for them.

I've seen a lot of light bicycle rims explode. They seem to be significantly lower quality. But there's a lot of decent options between LB and enve. I've spent a bunch of time on some ibis wheels that have held up well, and full retail is $1200 ish. Deals can probably be found for less than that. I'm sure there are other wheels in that ballpark that are similarly worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, is that a typo? You have a 2.6" rear tire and you want to go bigger? Is this a 27.5+?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Not a typo, but I didn't explain very well. Enve days these rims support up to a 2.5" tire. I'm running a 2.3 minion SS on the back and a 2.5 DHF in the front.

Elsewhere I've read that a wider rim performs a bit better with wider tires. I haven't been disappointed with the enves by any stretch, just wondering if there are performance gains to be had by considering a wider rim.

Seth

Those are QR?
    I don’t think it’s the worth the hassle just so you can put a 2.6 tire on the front of a Tallboy.
    I also doubt that you’d be able to flip them for a comparable price for the wheelset you’re looking for.
    Run what ya brung, son.

Thanks,

Seth

You could get some Arch MK3's or WTB KOM i25's on Hope Pro4, that would be about $500 and a nice upgrade. You could go Flow MK3's if you really want the wider rim, but they'll be heavier.

The Arch's would be good for up to a 2.5 tire with normal pressures, but if you were going to run inserts and lower pressures with a 2.5 or wider, you'd want the Flows.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Those are QR?
    I don’t think it’s the worth the hassle just so you can put a 2.6 tire on the front of a Tallboy.
    I also doubt that you’d be able to flip them for a comparable price for the wheelset you’re looking for.
    Run what ya brung, son.
    Rear is QR. I think you can get adapters for the 350 hubs to go TA, but I would need to replace the rear triangle to use them. Still passively looking for a warranty replacement rear triangle...

Are those 29 rims or?

If 29, you could use them on a road bike. I thought about doing just that with some narrowish carbon wheels I have on my Ripley, but for now, still using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Not a typo, but I didn't explain very well. Enve days these rims support up to a 2.5" tire. I'm running a 2.3 minion SS on the back and a 2.5 DHF in the front.

Elsewhere I've read that a wider rim performs a bit better with wider tires. I haven't been disappointed with the enves by any stretch, just wondering if there are performance gains to be had by considering a wider rim.

Seth

I'd say that 2.5 is definitely on the wide side for a 19mm internal rim these days. Make sure you keep an eye on pressure, pretty easy to fold a tire.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Are those 29 rims or?

If 29, you could use them on a road bike. I thought about doing just that with some narrowish carbon wheels I have on my Ripley, but for now, still using them.
    That's what I'm passively shopping for, a set of high end "older" 29er rims. Narrow and outdated for fat tires and outdated by boosts spacing.
    To find a killer deal and use them for a road disc or gravel bike build.

Seth

Eh. Those tires run narrow.
    Does the Butcher Slaughter combo come in 2.6 now? That sounds like some serious rubber. Especially in Grid. What are they, 4lbs each in 29" size? lol

On my old bike, I have a 26x2.4 Purgatory on a 317 rim. 17mm internal. It didn't explode and frag everyone in a 50 meter radius.

Remember to keep the bikes own tire clearance in mind too.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

OK, I've been slogging through online new-wheel research for my Giant Reign 2 from 2015. I added a coil rear shock to it and now it's a bit of a tank on the uphills. I'm hoping to save weight with a new wheelset, but I think I have to go carbon to make it worthwhile. My stock wheelset is roughly 2100-2200g now. A lot of Reign-owning people went with hope hubs and Stans Flow to save weight it seems, but those weigh only a bit less, or are identical to the stock rims and hubs. Am I right on this???

What would I need to do buy weight and spend to make it all worthwhile? My guess is minimum .20 pounds per wheel lighter, but for this how much should I expect to pay? It seems silly to spend $1200+ on a $3000 bike, so 600-800 is doable. Which means aluminum and about a 2000g wheelset which I already have, right? I can't go to a super light XC rim unfortunately.

Plan B is lose a half pound with a lighter coil spring, convert to tubeless, and convert to one chainring. This may cost about $750-$1000, not sure, and I might lose 2-4 pounds.

Plan C is lose a half pound with a lighter coil spring, convert to tubeless all for under $100.... and save up to buy a second bike, a used 29er that is great on climbs and OK on descents for a lot of the mellow Park City riding we have.

Any advice on wheels would be awesome, the math to get proper strength-to-cost-and-weight ratio is killing me.

^^ Up your fiber intake for a few days and poop out that pound. Far and away the most cost effective approach 😄

And wtf, it's 2018. Go tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    And wtf, it's 2018. Go tubeless.
    Start there, fer sher, then go 1X, then blow $.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Plan B is lose a half pound with a lighter coil spring, convert to tubeless, and convert to one chainring. This may cost about $750-$1000

Plan C is lose a half pound with a lighter coil spring, convert to tubeless all for under $100
    Wait, what? Does your plan to go 1x involve a complete XX1 Eagle drivetrain? Otherwise, I'm at a loss as to how the 1x conversion costs you upwards of $900. Also, baby Jesus is crying knowing that your bike has tubes in it.

I didn't have a 1x plan thought out, but I thought a go-ride employee told me yesterday to plan for $500 without a carbon crank, maybe he meant with everything? I'm probably not going for a carbon crank though, whats the best weight/cost ratio for 1x, XT/XTR combo? (XX1 is expensive, dang!)

Copy on the tubes, I'll stop the flow of tears soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^ Up your fiber intake for a few days and poop out that pound. Far and away the most cost effective approach ��
    All jokes aside, this cannot be overstated. It's so true, but it's so much easier to just throw money at it. I'm guilty.