Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    [QUOTE=gravitylover;5318504]I want a set of Onyx hubs so badly but can't convince myself to pay the weight penalty[QUOTE]

holy fack, they're 300g more than I9's. I'm not a huge weight weenie but I pay attention when it's hundreds

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    NOBL looks like a contender, less warranty than SC but more options for hubs/colors etc.
    NOBL is yet another company that has popped up offering Chinese rims in US distribution with a 400% markup. If you feel the need to pay hundreds for a name and support, by all means go for it.

I am more than happy with my wheelset. Chris King hubs Sapim spokes and brass nipples lace to Light Bicycle rims. 2 years and no issues with the rims, I love the stiffness. As far as noise, I kinda like the buzz of the hub. Chasing someone through a pumpy trail section they can hear the buzz, buzz, buzzzz of you pushing. Also super easy to tear down and re lube.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

holy fack, they're 300g more than I9's. I'm not a huge weight weenie but I pay attention when it's hundreds
    Makes me feel better about the 347g weight of a Hadley rear hub, especially considering its durable machined titanium freehub body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    NOBL is yet another company that has popped up offering Chinese rims in US distribution with a 400% markup. If you feel the need to pay hundreds for a name and support, by all means go for it.
    400% over what?

Wheelsets price out at a couple hundred more a complete from LB and you don't have to deal with Ghina

400% over what?

Wheelsets price out at a couple hundred more a complete from LB and you don't have to deal with Ghina
    Meaning, they source the rims from one of the factories in China and pay about $80 a piece, then sell them for $400.

Which is a 400% markup.

Meaning, they source the rims from one of the factories in China and pay about $80 a piece, then sell them for $400.

Which is a 400% markup.
    Ahh, you've seen their books. Cool

Which is a 400% markup.
    You may want to consult a mathematician.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Which is a 400% markup.
    Your insider knowledge of everything in the bike industry is truly astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    It's almost like he's Highway Star, Damian Sanders, and Rog, all rolled into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The main mechanic at the LBS here is riding Onyx hubs and has blown them up twice. I'm assuming he likes them because he's still on them, but that's twice the failures of any other non-shit (i.e. discounting Novatec, SRAM) hub for people I directly know.

I'll refer back to boring old alloy rims advice.

I'm shopping wheels for my Hightower and a committed to Hope hubs laced to an alloy rim in the $100 range. Thinking about Stans Flow or WTB i29s. Anyone riding anything similar from Mavic or DT Swiss? I want to keep the width to around 30 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You may want to consult a mathematician.
    https://www.omnicalculator.com/business/markup

Dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    How much do you think you can directly bulk buy Qty 100 or more carbon rims from the factory in China for? I'd say if you're paying any more than $80 a piece, you're getting ripped off. Heck, I'm sure the Stan's MK3 alloy rims cost $20 or so each from the factory in large quantities.

Why do you think there are all these copycat "MUH CARBON WHEELSSS!!!!!!@!!11!!!!!!!!" companies popping up to tap into the cash cow?

Do you really think you'll be able to get a warranty (or even crash replacement) from half these companies in a couple years?

thread hijack, because fuck Highway Star

Anyone use Bitex hubs? They seem legit. Might like a pair laced to i23's.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I'll refer back to boring old alloy rims advice.

I'm shopping wheels for my Hightower and a committed to Hope hubs laced to an alloy rim in the $100 range. Thinking about Stans Flow or WTB i29s. Anyone riding anything similar from Mavic or DT Swiss? I want to keep the width to around 30 mm.
    Just curious, what tires are you planning to run?

Just curious, what tires are you planning to run?
    Got a fresh new set of 29 x 2.35 Minions, DHF and DHR, not the WT.

Got a fresh new set of 29 x 2.35 Minions, DHF and DHR, not the WT.
    The 2.3 or 2.5 minions?

2.3s

I built up some DT Swiss XM 481 & EX 511 (front/rear) just before the snow arrived last year. Had a few real rides on them now and I like em. Haven't felt any dings yet but the 511 is the wider version of the 471 so should be able to take some hits.

thread hijack, because fuck Highway Star

Anyone use Bitex hubs? They seem legit. Might like a pair laced to i23's.
    I have a pair that have two seasons on them and have been bomber for a value hub, mine are laced to WTB i35's.

They don't seem to roll as nice as my old 26" Arch's w/Hadley's. Maybe it's the mass of the i35's maybe it's the hubs, haven't been able to A-B them in a meaningful way. YMMV

2.3s
    30mm internal will work, but 25mm internal is preferred, and lighter.

DT makes great, expensive rims, in a wide range of strengths and widths.

I'd take a serious look at a XM421, that's 25mm internal and 465g in a 29".

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...untain/xm-421/

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'd love to know what is so shit about DT 240 hubs. Honestly, your comments have left me thinking that there's something I just been missing.
    always feel like I have better tracking with the other hubs...almost like they are stiffer but less harsh. the dt swiss hubs make the wheelset more noodly...like with the old M70s on a 240 never felt planted. trying out the new m730s on the 240s versus the kings it was skittish versus planted. cornering on the kings always felt smoother and snapier.

maybe it is more of a spoke count versus tension thing? either way, I shouldn't be spraying since the wheels I am on right now are the decidedly-out-of-favor Deemax pros and they are super awesome on my GT sanction.
    bumps are for poor people

How the fuck could a hub be noodly?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

How the fuck could a hub be noodly?
    Prolly soft ball bearings. I have no fucking clue. I’ll ask around.
    bumps are for poor people