Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    E13 builds their own hubs. 6 degrees of engagement and nice and loud like I9 (personal preference but I like the sound).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Chill dude, only one person is allowed to do the fact giving around here. His facts are the best facts.

Here is a sweet vid of me gaping it hard on some Ibis 741's.... no rims were hurt in the making of this video.

a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

E13 builds their own hubs. 6 degrees of engagement and nice and loud like I9 (personal preference but I like the sound).
    After years on Hopes, I got sick of all the noise. Got a Project 321 rear with quiet pawls. The silence is glorious.

Front hub is a cheap SRAM, both ends built onto a set of Nox Teocallis. By far the nicest wheels I’ve owned. Light, burly and stiff AF (sometimes I think maybe too stiff). I ended up getting a screaming deal on the set, so they weren’t that much more than some of the AL options I was looking at. Certainly more expensive than a set of Stan’s, but also not really comparable.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    After years on Hopes, I got sick of all the noise. Got a Project 321 rear with quiet pawls. The silence is glorious.
    Interesting. I told my shop that the noise of a good hub is annoying. I'll have to check those out. The DT isn't too bad, but then again my wife keeps telling me I'm going deaf, so...

That video kicked ass. Thanks for sharing.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Aren't you the guy claiming Arch EX's (XC rim) is beefy enough for trail riding and comparing them to 450-500g carbon rims designed for enduro racing?
    The Stan's Arch is their trail riding rim. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    The Stan's Arch is their trail riding rim. Look it up.
    Probably be better to really dive into facts if you are going to take the attitude you have. Arch EX had a history of being very flimsy and not doing well. They made the Arch MK3 much stronger and it does stand up to actual use now. Few guys on the Rocky EWS team ran them at times last year.

IMO don't waste too much time worrying about which rim, find some around ~30mm wide internally, get some good hubs (won't go wrong with DT Swiss for 99% of people), and have them built by a good wheel builder, and you won't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Probably be better to really dive into facts if you are going to take the attitude you have. Arch EX had a history of being very flimsy and not doing well. They made the Arch MK3 much stronger and it does stand up to actual use now. Few guys on the Rocky EWS team ran them at times last year.
    No, it doesn't. The Arch EX has always been regarded as a solid trail riding rim.

Arch EX is what my experience with and it was weak AF, went to Flow EX for trail riding and it was much better. No experience with Arch MK3.

Re: quiet hubs, here's a freshly rebuilt Onyx spinning forever:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgkgRmoH...-by=bicyclehub

Wow. That's some convincing shit right there. Could sneak right up on someone!

Anyone have real world experience with the Trek Line Pro TLR 30 wheelsets? Can be had direct for $960

I'm guessing they're from Ghina

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Anyone have real world experience with the Trek Line Pro TLR 30 wheelsets? Can be had direct for $960

I'm guessing they're from Ghina
    I don't know anyone that has those.

My shop likes this line for 'budget' carbon. They have quite a few out in the field taking a beating around here and seem to do ok, but like any of them they fail from time to time. Made in - Our design and manufacturing is done through an Taiwanese company

Lifetime Crash Replacement
    We understand that accidents happen and damage can occur, regardless of how strong and durable a product is. If you damage Atomik Carbon rims due to impact or other circumstances not covered under warranty, we offer a crash replacement program to the original owner valid for the life of the product. Rims can be replaced for $310 each MTB, $350 each Road, $450 each Chubby 43 and $500 each Phatty 85, which includes new spokes, nipples and complete rebuild. Customer is responsible for shipping and handling.

https://atomikcarbon.com/

^^saw those but hadn't looked closely, pricing is on par with SC. And you can choose decal color!

Just thought I’d throw out an alternative. I’m on the E13 TRSr SL Carbon wheels and love them. I’ve beat the crap out of them last year and they are still perfect. E13 now has lifetime warranty on all carbon wheels and rims as well, and their carbon wheels can be found at a few online retailers for under $1300 (I paid $1275 from Worldwide). PB just did a good review on the TRSr SL’s too. And if it matters Gwin rides E13 carbon!!! Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Not a bad wheelset overall, but I'd have a hard time paying over $500 for a wheelset with what appears to be no-name Asian built hubs.

All this. Another satisfied E13 customer here. Been on the TRSr Carbon wheels for almost a year now, 1700 miles. I'm on the 31mm internal rim, not the "SL". They're nice and stiff but not 'too stiff', reasonable weight, at 1800 grams in this width, 28 spokes. The 31i rim in 650b comes in at 475 grams, not featherweight but about 50 grams lighter than a Flow per wheel. Plus since you CAN run 28 spokes (and you probably actually WANT TO, for better compliance), you're saving a little more rotating weight, about 25 grams/wheel. The hubs have carbon bodies bonded to alloy flanges, they don't look too light though. Engagement is good and yeah they're LOUD, louder than my old Hopes. I'm kinda over the noise but whatever, they've been maintenance free and perform consistently. They do have more drag than some but not noticeable while riding. [edit to add: my wheels are 2017, looks like the hubs are all alloy now.] My biggest takeaway is the rim durability. I run relatively low pressures and I've broken some carbon wheels in the past but these things have taken some abuse. Hard rim dings and some heavy cases. Shredded a couple tires on them, one from a bad rim hit. No issues. The failure rate is so low that E13 extended the warranty from two years to lifetime. Three thumbs up for the E13 carbon hoops and wheels.

In general I think Carbon wheels have matured a lot and across the board, failure rate on NEWER carbon mountain rims is a lot lower than even just a couple years ago. I'd say unless you routinely crush Aluminum rims, like several/year, you're gonna be pretty safe going carbon if you want to now.

All this said, I'm pretty sick of loud hubs. If you've never been on a really loud hub beware, that shit gets old. Had Hopes on my last two bikes and the E13s on my current bike are even louder. I'm a bit hard of hearing, especially in my right ear due to an injury. It can be tough to have a convo while hike-a-biking. I'm waiting for Onyx to bring out their lighter mountain hub and I'm going with them. Zero degree engagement is a huge plus too. I would have already but the current rear hub is really fucking heavy and it's tough to justify the expense for a heavier wheelset. I'm liking the We Are One rims for my next build. Quality and durability seem off the charts, hand laid in CA. NOBL look pretty good too, they're made in China but distributed out of WA I think?
    Last edited by beaterdit; 03-23-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ticket, did you end up commiting to a wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ticket, did you end up commiting to a wheel?
    Not yet.

GPNEMBA social is this week at Bayside Bowl, gonna try my luck at winning a set of I9's in the raffle. Also starting a new job next month that has some industry privileges with it too so may have other options soon.

I ride in phoenix and hit my share of square edge hits and random rocks. I've been running some 'premium Nextie' rims laced to older i9 hubs for 1.5 years with no issues. I'd also check out nobl rims/builds as well.

Both of these can be had for $1500 or less.

NOBL looks like a contender, less warranty than SC but more options for hubs/colors etc. Anyone have experience with the Onyx? looked pretty smooth rolling in that vid gramboh posted

NOBL looks like a contender, less warranty than SC but more options for hubs/colors etc. Anyone have experience with the Onyx? looked pretty smooth rolling in that vid gramboh posted
    A long time riding buddy of mine runs the Onyx hubs and I've ridden his set a bit. They're heavy but (at least the manufacturer claims) their engagement system has zero drag, which compensates for the extra heft. They're also silent and have amazingly instant engagement.

I want a set of Onyx hubs so badly but can't convince myself to pay the weight penalty, they're really heavy The silent aspect is super enticing though and the instant engagement is sooooo nice. I hate loud hubs too. I'm hoping the new wheels I have coming are reasonable in that dept. The rear hub is 36POE/4 pawl/5 degree which should be pretty sweet but with the heavy duty pawl spring I am concerned about the volume. We'll see...

I had a wheel built about 20 years ago with a Shimano Silent Clutch rear hub, silence is in fact golden

Yeah that old LX with the silent freehub was my hub of choice when we were building wheels at my old shop. I still have one or two NOS freehubs in my box o' stuff. I wonder if it will fit any of the current Shimano hubs?

All this talk of noise. When you coast aren't you going fast?

I had been on DT swiss 240 with various enve and mavic rims and I have finally realized that they suck balls. I never thought a hub has so much to do with the way a wheel rode until I started riding Kings, i9s and Mavic hubs. The hub seems to have a tremendous effect on how a wheel rides. Kinda like a ski binding has a huge impact on how a ski skis.

this is prob common knowledge already but I just discovered it last year. so much attention to sexy rims it is easy to lose sight of the full picture.
    bumps are for poor people

I have a set of Nobl TR38’s laced to Onyx hubs (built by Fanatik bike co) and they are bees knees. I have them on a new build that hasn’t been ridden more than 20 times so I can’t comment on how they ride when compared to a different wheelset on the same frame, or the need to warranty, but they are solid, silent and allow a nice tire profile with a 2.5 WT minion. I dont care about the weight, guess ill get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    All this talk of noise. When you coast aren't you going fast?

I had been on DT swiss 240 with various enve and mavic rims and I have finally realized that they suck balls. I never thought a hub has so much to do with the way a wheel rode until I started riding Kings, i9s and Mavic hubs. The hub seems to have a tremendous effect on how a wheel rides. Kinda like a ski binding has a huge impact on how a ski skis.

this is prob common knowledge already but I just discovered it last year. so much attention to sexy rims it is easy to lose sight of the full picture.
    I'd love to know what is so shit about DT 240 hubs. Honestly, your comments have left me thinking that there's something I just been missing.