Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Never mind what ski threads, how about a what wheelset thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Hope and flow. Laugh at your friends who spent $1000+ more than you for 40 grams weight savings and a "sweet warranty"

Only justification I can see is if you are a big guy, ride hard and on 29er, then bet you'll get some benefit from the added stiffness of carbon. Otherwise just an insane price jump.

I say all this without having ridden carbon wheels, I'm sure they're pretty awesome.
    Iíve ridden carbon. Not worth the price difference.

Iíve cracked a carbon rim, but never an aluminum rim.

I bought some 29er Light Bicycle carbon wheels, about $1100 for the set new. I was skeptical, but the stiffness difference made a great difference in the cornering ability of the bike, and the weight difference was noticeable. Dt 240 hubs with the 36T ratchet were sweet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Am I missing something in ride quality that I might find favorable? Kind of sums up why I'm shopping.
    That's a seriously heavy setup. 570g rims with 950g tires.....yikes. Are you running a maxxterra DHF? I'd look at some nice Arch Mk3's with 2.3 minions, maxxterra front - that's well over a half pound lighter per rim+tire.

Youíre welcome to give mine a go when we get riding weather. I think youíre in the area. Mine are currently set up boost with 2.35 on them front and rear (which will be a difference from your 2.5) but, youíre welcome to go for it.

Original premise: Youíre looking to treat yourself to something nice. Bling things up. So, enough with the debates on how you can custom build good hubs to good rims for $5-900. He has a good wheelset. He wants something thatíll feel more awesome. Not practical. The thread title is not ďHopes/DT 350 with Stanís Flow: is it a solid boring choice for a frugal enthusiast?Ē

Now, with both the i9 and the SC wheels, you achieve the stated goal. One is slightly lighter. One gives the option of being very visually blingy. You wonít feel a difference in ride quality, other than POE. Just pick one and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

Reserves w/ DT hubs if looking for carbon. Not much else to talk about for the warranty and price. Folks can pooh-pooh carbon rims all they want, but carbon has some superior qualities over AL, if you're looking for that sort of thing. I've broken carbon rims in ways that would have destroyed AL rims, and have ridden them 10 miles home still holding air tubeless. YMMV. Currently, I run a 30mm internal carbon hoop in the front, and a narrower AL hoop in the rear because that is what works. If going AL, go DT Swiss.
    Collectively enlightened since 2008.
    Eddie would go.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    You’re welcome to give mine a go when we get riding weather. I think you’re in the area. Mine are currently set up boost with 2.35 on them front and rear (which will be a difference from your 2.5) but, you’re welcome to go for it.
    Thanks MSA! I'm in Portland, headed for CV this afternoon to see what this storm is going to be all about

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Now, with both the i9 and the SC wheels, you achieve the stated goal. One is slightly lighter. One gives the option of being very visually blingy. You wonít feel a difference in ride quality, other than POE. Just pick one and report back.
    That's what I was looking for and bonus points for bringing the concept back to OG stated goal

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    So, enough with the debates on how you can custom build good hubs to good rims for $5-900. He has a good wheelset. He wants something that’ll feel more awesome. Not practical.
    Lol. There's a very large number of riders who have tried carbon rims (including high end options like Enve) over the last 5 years and are now back on modern aluminum rims. Durablity, high cost and debatable value of the excessive stiffness are the issues.

The stan's arch Mk3 650b is 425g and 26mm internal, while the Santa Cruz Reserve equivalent is 435g and 27mm internal. For the cost of the Santa Cruz wheels, you can build up the Arch's with some Chris Kings or DT 240s and have a pile of money left over for a half dozen spare rims (that can be swapped out in a hour or so by a mechanic anywhere). Performance will be just as good from the Arch wheelset, if not better. Last time I checked, Chris King's were more bling than any carbon rim on another hub.

He has an "Ok-ish" wheel set. Horribly overweight PLUS!!!!!1!! rims with cheap hubs and adapters. Ok for a backup beat around wheelset or bike park abuse. Any modern high end mid weight wheelset is going to be far, far better for general trail riding. Good hubs are very important.

Don't believe the carbon hype, the newest light alloy rims under 30mm internal offer just as good performance overall with less drawbacks. The only time carbon makes sense is if you need a 30mm+ internal rim on a 29er that weighs under 500g.

Here's some feedback from MTBR, keep in mind they have the worst hype cancer on the internet:

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...orums.mtbr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Lol.

He has an "Ok-ish" wheel set. Horribly overweight PLUS!!!!!1!! rims with cheap hubs and adapters. Ok for a backup beat around wheelset or bike park abuse. Any modern high end mid weight wheelset is going to be far, far better for general trail riding. Good hubs are very important.
    LOL was right, that was funny shyte.

The wheelset I have now was built for a plus project and it's going back to another one, just going to use a steel hardtail this time instead of a FS frame.

Before I did that plus project I was still riding my 26" Trance with a Arch/Hadley wheelset that had been built like ten plus years ago and never needed any attention. It's still in the Trance which gets ridden occasionally, that setup made me a Hadley whore

Hadley's are one of the best high end hubs on the market, and by far the best value. Only drawback is the rear hub is a bit on the heavy side.

They are about as "anti-douche" as you can get in a bike part, so probably not what you're looking for.

Here's the new DT XMC 1200 30 wheelset for about $1800, definitely a MUCH nicer wheelset than the santa cruz.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...heelset-666153

1450g, 30mm internal carbon rim, $2600 USA MAP, all mountain rated, 100% exotic douche baller vip status.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...c-1200-spline/

$2600? That's insane.

I dig carbon for a few places on my bike but I'm all set with carbon wheels. A few guys I ride with dished out serious cash for carbon wheelsets and I just think it's absurd. I run Hope hubs with Stans Flow on one bike then Hope hubs with WTB i35 on another bike. Both wheelsets are light, stiff and strong and I paid a fraction of what a carbon wheelset would cost.

LOL was right, that was funny shyte.

The wheelset I have now was built for a plus project and it's going back to another one, just going to use a steel hardtail this time instead of a FS frame.

Before I did that plus project I was still riding my 26" Trance with a Arch/Hadley wheelset that had been built like ten plus years ago and never needed any attention. It's still in the Trance which gets ridden occasionally, that setup made me a Hadley whore
    I put Flow MK3's with a 2.8 on my Hightower. I didn't ride them much, but was happy overall with the wheelset. All in I was over 1100-1200 maybe more...I don't remember exactly. I like to commit to a cost and then completely forget about how much money i just spent on a bike part. That included everthing for the superman change from 29 to + out of my trunk. So wheels w/ DT, rotors, cassette, and tires. My shop built them up for me.

I'm now looking to upgrade the 29er wheelset and thinking I will run the same Flows.

Looks like I could build up a set of Hadley/Flow MK3 for around a grand.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    $2600? That's insane.

I dig carbon for a few places on my bike but I'm all set with carbon wheels. A few guys I ride with dished out serious cash for carbon wheelsets and I just think it's absurd. I run Hope hubs with Stans Flow on one bike then Hope hubs with WTB i35 on another bike. Both wheelsets are light, stiff and strong and I paid a fraction of what a carbon wheelset would cost.
    Well, they are a bargain at under $1800 if you buy them from Europe.

I don't see myself buying carbon wheels from EUR, I'd only go carboner with a clear path to warranty happiness

I don't see myself buying carbon wheels from EUR, I'd only go carboner with a clear path to warranty happiness
    this
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I see. So the expectation of failure is so high, that you wouldn't risk buying without a warranty.

So why would you buy it, period?

I see. So the expectation of failure is so high, that you wouldn't risk buying without a warranty.

So why would you buy it, period?
    Who would risk buying anything without a clear path to a warranty if a much clearer path to warranty was available? That would just be fucking stupid and TC is not dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Who would risk buying anything without a clear path to a warranty if a much clearer path to warranty was available? That would just be fucking stupid and TC is not dumb.
    Just curious if there's any logic or common sense behind this purchase decision process.....evidently not.

I personally try to avoid buying products that "I would not own without a warranty." That directly indicates it is a shitty product. Sorry I have to spell it out for you so explicitly.

If you are afraid to own carbon rims without a warranty, then carbon rims are by definition an inherently shitty product.

Lol. There's a very large number of riders who have tried carbon rims (including high end options like Enve) over the last 5 years and are now back on modern aluminum rims. Durablity, high cost and debatable value of the excessive stiffness are the issues.

The stan's arch Mk3 650b is 425g and 26mm internal, while the Santa Cruz Reserve equivalent is 435g and 27mm internal. For the cost of the Santa Cruz wheels, you can build up the Arch's with some Chris Kings or DT 240s and have a pile of money left over for a half dozen spare rims (that can be swapped out in a hour or so by a mechanic anywhere). Performance will be just as good from the Arch wheelset, if not better. Last time I checked, Chris King's were more bling than any carbon rim on another hub.

Don't believe the carbon hype, the newest light alloy rims under 30mm internal offer just as good performance overall with less drawbacks. The only time carbon makes sense is if you need a 30mm+ internal rim on a 29er that weighs under 500g.

Here's some feedback from MTBR, keep in mind they have the worst hype cancer on the internet:

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...orums.mtbr.com
    I can't see the OP's weight, but how can you compare Stan's Arch EX rims with SC Reserves? If OP is a super light dude or riding very smooth terrain maybe the Arch makes sense, but those things are NOT durable for rough terrain or heavier dudes, nowhere near the level 500g carbon rims.

Note: I do not own and have never ridden carbon rims but have destroyed multiple Arch's, have had reasonable success with Flow + Hope which is what I recommend for value.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I can't see the OP's weight, but how can you compare Stan's Arch EX rims with SC Reserves? If OP is a super light dude or riding very smooth terrain maybe the Arch makes sense, but those things are NOT durable for rough terrain or heavier dudes, nowhere near the level 500g carbon rims.

Note: I do not own and have never ridden carbon rims but have destroyed multiple Arch's, have had reasonable success with Flow + Hope which is what I recommend for value.
    He's said he's about 160lb and "I don't Enduro, I just ride my bike and try not to get hurt at this point."

The Arch's are VERY widely used and robust for an AL rim trail riding rim barely over 400g, tons of history on the EX, and the new MK3 is widely spec'd on newer bikes. Sure, if you abuse them without enough tire pressure or spoke tension you can hack them up. Flow's are a full on DH, enduro and freeride rim.

The santa cruz rims are chinese made and 435g. While they look well engineered and well made, tons of other chinese rims in that weight range have failed in the last 5 years. I'm leery.

Just curious if there's any logic or common sense behind this purchase decision process.....evidently not.

I personally try to avoid buying products that "I would not own without a warranty." That directly indicates it is a shitty product. Sorry I have to spell it out for you so explicitly.

If you are afraid to own carbon rims without a warranty, then carbon rims are by definition an inherently shitty product.
    Common sense?

Who said anything about buying carbon rims without a warranty? If you scroll up a bit you'll see that I'm pretty keen on the SC warranty as a consideration. How's that for common sense?

Common sense?

Who said anything about buying carbon rims without a warranty? If you scroll up a bit you'll see that I'm pretty keen on the SC warranty as a consideration. How's that for common sense?
    I think you're missing the point.

If something requires a blanket lifetime warranty in order for you consider buying it, you should probably avoid it like the plague.