Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Colorado Fishing Cabin

This may be about more then just fishing and larger audience may be needed, but you all seemed like the right place to start, as I am feeling discouraged about the process.

Short and dirty, the wife and I are looking to buy some land and build a cabin. We live in Denver and want our two young kids to experience the outdoors like we did growing up. The search so far seems a bit overwhelming and like Colorado is just too crowded and too expensive to make this dream come true. I am hoping not, but everything seems to be in a subdivision or more then we can afford. The broad strokes of what we are looking for are as follows:

1. Within 4.5 hours of Denver
    2. Within 1.5 hours of Skiing
    3. Close to good wade fishing
    4. Within an hour or 30 minutes of a float-able river
    5. Land budget is $100K...$200K if we can find a larger property to build two cabins on (preferable)
    6. Cabin budget will be $100K to $200K with a build completed in next 3 summers
    7. Close access to Wilderness/BLM/National Forest
    8. Not in subdivision with heavy handed HOA

We are pretty flexible on the area, anywhere from Steamboat to Cimarron to Taylor Park, etc.. Any mags have advice? Know a good land realtor? Obviously, there is a lot to consider with water, power, sewage, seasonal access, etc. We would be fine with an off the grid property with running water and septic and winter access via snowmobile.

If you want to brag about your sweet ass cabin...this also the place to do it. Thanks
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

For some reason, South Fork sticks out. I don't know what the schools are like.

For clarification...we won't be moving there. This will be a second home...so the schools can suck ass.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Dude. Wyoming.

/thread

When I was on a similar search I found a lot of land around South Park in areas that looked like they were carved up and subdivided. Similar story down near Alamosa. When you say skiing, are you talking resorts only or do backcountry options count as well?

I would prefer a resort, or something that I could do sled skiing versus just skinning. Not sure what Kebler pass is like for that? Obviously, the Irwin guys are there.

Ranch of the Rockies
    South Fk of South Platte in same valley
    Over the pass to the Arkansas
    Monarch an hour or so away
    Lots of open space
    Not sure of HOA

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Dude. Wyoming.

/thread
    This is looking more and more like a better option...just so far.

N of Silvethorne checks all your boxes. Gold Medal waters, floatable, direct access to Gore Range, Summit county and Steamboat for skiing,

Here's one on the water for $180K

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/11_zm/

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    N of Silvethorne checks all your boxes. Gold Medal waters, floatable, direct access to Gore Range, Summit county and Steamboat for skiing,

Here's one on the water for $180K

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/11_zm/
    The one major drawback: it's too close to the Front Range.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    The one major drawback: it's too close to the Front Range.

And it is almost double my budget as I can't foresee them letting us divide that 2.2 acres into two parcels.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    And it is almost double my budget as I can't foresee them letting us divide that 2.2 acres into two parcels.
    I was going off this:
    5. Land budget is $100K...$200K if we can find a larger property to build two cabins on (preferable)
    And figured two cabins wouldn't be a problem but I don't know how those restrictions work.

But there are definitely more cheaper options in that area. Blue Valley Acres is where a lot of locals live and it has access to the blue as well. I know a few friends who have built out that way recently and love it. The access to the Blue and Gore can't be beat.

There's these too:
    https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...62_rect/12_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...62_rect/12_zm/

Really, there's a shitload of stuff all over CO that fit your qualifications, might want to be a little more picky.

Colorado Fishing Cabin

Another vote for South Fork/ Rio Grande area. PM that dude BFD, he seems to be pretty in touch with that area.

Having fished my way through that region for a decade, I keep finding new and excellent waters all over the region. The Rio Grande is great though I haven't float fished it. The Rio's got decent public access upriver from South Fork, below town is better suited for float fishing. Funny story: I'm sitting in Wagon Wheel Gap scarfing down a burger before dusk fishing. Two guides sitting next to me are telling a story and laughing about a fellow veteran guide who got side ways going under the old railroad bridge and dumped his clients and all their gear. Moral of the story-- that bridge is not to be fucked with.

Every time I pass through there always seems to be a lot of real estate available. South Fork isn't isn't exactly booming despite having a fabulous ski area just up the highway. I mean, holy crap, the Hungry Logger is still closed. Appears to be lots of house lots available all the way up the valley to Creede. If I didn't have to maintain a career I'd move there in a heart beat.

My second vote would be Arkansas river valley. Fuckin love that area.
    Last edited by Rico in Flag; 03-05-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico in Flag View Post
    <snip> despite having a fabulous ski area just up the highway.
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? Telluride is pretty far from South Fork...

Any thoughts on Somerset? Seems like pretty protected from development...no jobs now that the mine is shut down, out of the way but closer then places like Creede.

Will they ever pave Kebler Pass?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My thinking on Somerset is that it gives you relative remoteness and the land is a bit cheaper. Additionally, you have Paonia lake/state park right there, as well as Kebler and the North Fork of the Gunni. Grand Mesa and the Raggeds are right out your back door, then if you want to do the town/ski thing, pretty much everything is within 2 hours, most of which could be on your way back to Denver, so you could hit things up on the day you head home. Here are google drive times from Somerset.

Skiing:
    Aspen - 1.5hrs
    Telluride - 2.5hrs
    Vail/Beaver Creek - 2hrs
    Silverton - 2.5 hrs

Other Recreation/Summer Towns:
    Crested Butte - 2 hrs (when Kebler is open May thru November)
    Ouray - 2 hr

Fishing:
    Crystal - 1 hr
    Cimarron - 2 hrs
    Gunnisson - 2 hrs

All of those ski towns have good fishing, hiking and summer activities around them as well and again, most of them you could pass on your way home on a Sunday, etc. or on your way up if you took the day off/were flexible.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 03-06-2018 at 12:29 PM.

I would vote for Wyoming too. As a new resident on the Gunnison I can say unequivocally this is not the place if you are on a budget. We are still searching for a permanent residence here. Probably doesnt help that I dont want to spend a million dollars and still want to live on the river. There are some great spots in Wyoming that defintley falls in your radius.
    As far as what I have. This is our place in Irwin, Idaho on the South Fork of the Snake. AKA my summer residence

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irwin.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	999.0 KB 
ID:	227000
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I would vote for Wyoming too. As a new resident on the Gunnison I can say unequivocally this is not the place if you are on a budget. We are still searching for a permanent residence here. Probably doesnt help that I dont want to spend a million dollars and still want to live on the river. There are some great spots in Wyoming that defintley falls in your radius.
    As far as what I have. This is our place in Irwin, Idaho on the South Fork of the Snake. AKA my summer residence

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irwin.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	999.0 KB 
ID:	227000
    Nice spot, L! Looking forward to over serving myself on that porch after over serving myself on the SF this summer.

Good luck, Gretch!

Walden or Cowdrey area
    Fishing the North Platte - Rawah, Zirkel and Never Summer wilderness all reasonably close - ski at Cameron Pass and Steamboat.

Schwerty...long time! Hope the family is doing well.

Telee...you have a wonderful spot! I must say, floating the Gunni out of Almont when everything else in the state is blown out is one of my favorite things.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Nice spot, L! Looking forward to over serving myself on that porch after over serving myself on the SF this summer.

Good luck, Gretch!
    You know it! there will be some brown water consumed this summer on that porch for sure! There is a furnished guest room in the shed with your name on it! Our plan is to spend the entire month of July there, and some of June.

Gretch, I am looking forward to getting my float on and exploring the Gunni. The drift boat will be coming out on my next trip from Utah at the end of the month, so if you want to come down and get a float in yo know where to find me.
    I am with hatchgreenchile, the Walden area is perfect!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Telee...let's do it. A little July float action on the upper gunni with my dad this summer, his first time on my boat (spent alot of time growing up back east on his!) and his first time with a fly rod. Went through about 10 leaders in 3 days...but he got the hang of it.

For the millennials...

Colorado Fishing Cabin

Was thinking the same, Gretch. All is well up here. Working too much, not fishing enough...SSDD. Kids are better skiers than I am. At least I throw a line better tho.
    How are things with you?

If you look to Wyo, the Encampment area would be my choice with the perimeters you set. Steamboat probably the only resort skiing that fits the bill there and a day trip wouldn’t make sense if unless you were headed back south. Snowy range ski area is apparently a fun little mom and pop joint. Haven’t skied there myself. That’s reasonable for a day trip. Probably some decent sled access around there too.

As far as the fishin goes....Encampment is fun and the Upper N Platte is an excellent fishery. They do get a little toasty over the dog days of summer.
    Reasonable drive to the Mile, Reef and Fremont.
    The UNP in Wyoming has good float options, especially with a raft. There are some other wade options around there too.

Thanks Schwerty. All is well. The wife and I just had our second baby and now have a 2.5 y/o son and three month daughter..hence my lack of fishing!

I have enjoyed floating the portion of the N Platte that goes across the CO/WY boarder, although I have only floated it in late June/early July as that section is good during runoff and then is unfloatable when levels drop.

My concerns with WY relate to something I did not put in my original post...the hunting. God bless WY, they really support their residents first when it comes to hunting tags. Even if you own land there, it is hard to get a decent tag every season. I am a "Huge Elk Hunter" and need to be close to a couple good units that I can get tags for most years. I am really hoping the son takes an interest in it as well. So far, he loves watching elk and fishing shows on the boob tube.

This ranch was divided into twelve 35 acre parcels, plus what they kept for the ranch. Well for water, septic tank and solar power. Low HOAs and max house/cabin size is 2,200 sq ft...so it shouldn't be full of super rich douches. It is about halfway between Marble and Somerset, just over an hour south of Aspen. Should have easy access into the Crystal river valley.

It is technically a subdivision...but the low HOAs and max build size is really tempting. Does anyone have any experience with this type of "subdivision"?

https://www.landwatch.com/Gunnison-C...e/pid/25028634

The wife really loves Steamboat, so up around that area has the benefit of that and we wouldn't have to drive I-70 (YAY!) I really need access to a town like Aspen or Steamboat since the wife doesn't ski. She loves to fish, hike and camp in wilderness areas (she hates campgrounds)...but she also likes the spa.

Gretch, I shot you a PM last night with a pretty cool cabin outside Tincup that fits what you described. Somerset, I don't know, I'd be looking farther downstream than that, like Paonia or Hotchkiss. But that's a long drive from the front range. And those drive times are crazy, there is no way you can get to Ouray in an hour from Somerset. Or Silverton or Vail in 2.