Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    re: naming where I skied ...
    It's not about parking or giving up secrets, most info on most spots is all on the Internet.

It's about not having named spots handed out on a platter, in a thread that is really about managing a specific avalanche problem over the last 3 weeks ... we use topo maps, traffic patterns, practical logistics about where people live and where we can meet up to carpool, available parking and a multitude of other factors to plan specific trailhead decisions ... this is an avy problem thread and I disclosed aspect, general elevation, slope & terrain characteristics that went into my avy decision making.

Also if I had been staying on someone else's couch I probably would have skied in a completely different location, but with almost identical terrain characteristics.

Check caltopo.com (aspects and slope shading) and GoogleEarth (treeline and cliff characteristics) if you really want some beta about how to plan your next tour to manage for specific avalanche problems!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Hahaha - classic. "Brovakia" strikes again.
    sproing!

DPS Problem in Tahoe, spring 2018

Cal topo? Never heard of it.... lol

I’d also recommend checking out the SAC advisory. ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I’m with Shralph. There are plenty of good sources about Tahoe Backcountry spots available. Posting amazing pics with a location is not a good idea as the hoards will come to just that spot ruining it for those who put the time and effort to find it. With some research you can easily pick safe terrain to ski in almost any avy conditions in Tahoe. Just go out and safely explore which is a big part of backcountry skiing and you will find tons of untracked. Yes, there are other safe places in Tahoe than Waterhouse to ski when conditions are sketchy. Or if you don’t want to put in the work, hire a guide and he will break trail and take you to some good safe snow. And if you do have mag take you to their spot, don’t reveal the location on the internet.

Jeez, I wasn’t looking for tips! It was just a casual question... I know where I likely would have gone this weekend if I wasn’t resort skiing.

What’s with all the jong-splaining?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Jeez, I wasn’t looking for tips! It was just a casual question... I know where I likely would have gone this weekend if I wasn’t resort skiing.

What’s with all the jong-splaining?
    My post wasn’t directed at you but a general rant on publicly posting backcountry locations online, especially for spots that are not super well known like Waterhouse, Hourglass or Andesite.

I’d say all three of those are extremely well known. Hourglass gets downright gang-banged on a regular basis. Same deal for Andesite and both houses.

I have zones I wouldn’t name either but let’s not act like every single place is a secret stash.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’d say all three of those are extremely well known. Hourglass gets downright gang-banged on a regular basis. Same deal for Andesite and both houses.

I have zones I wouldn’t name either but let’s not act like every single place is a secret stash.
    That’s what I meant to say. It’s ok to post pics from Waterhouse or Hourglass and name the spot. But lesser known spots, I would not be posting the location.

Post pics with location or not, it's your choice.
    I'm just saying it's not relevant to the thread, and also, yes I have stopped posting exact locations, just overall location characteristics (elevation, aspect, general location in forecast area).

Important to note was the sustained winds during this last cycle were just barely west of due south ... a lot of places got huge cornices and a lot of places got little to no wind effect as a result of terrain shading. I happened to ski in areas over the weekend that got a lot of shading.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ok fair enough. Sometimes the whole secret this or that gets old when it’s not really a secret... like someone new to Truckee getting all guarded about mountain biking Yogi’s like that even counts as a hidden trail anymore. Granted, the parking issue is a real problem in the winter so I get it.

Anyway... sounds like the snowpack has settled after this storm a lot better than the last one.

There is some more info about the bigger slides observed in thr rose area that the forecaster speculates may be a new persistent problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks for that tidbit!

Graupel on MFCR capable of producing 4’ slab avalanches:
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or.../se-relay-peak

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Some pretty impressive reports coming out of SAC and this forum.