Ski Baggage on Alaska Airlines

Hoping to hear peoples experience taking ski baggage with Alaska Airlines - I'm flying up to Anchorage later this month. Has anyone had experience with them checking the contents of a ski bag to see what items it contains?

I'll be flying with two sets of skis (they only allow for one set in a ski bag), and I'm hoping that I can get away paying for one ski bag only. I've never had other airlines check whats inside a ski bag, and I'm hoping that Alaska is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Hoping to hear peoples experience taking ski baggage with Alaska Airlines - I'm flying up to Anchorage later this month. Has anyone had experience with them checking the contents of a ski bag to see what items it contains?

I'll be flying with two sets of skis (they only allow for one set in a ski bag), and I'm hoping that I can get away paying for one ski bag only. I've never had other airlines check whats inside a ski bag, and I'm hoping that Alaska is the same.
    I’ve put in two pairs and have never had Alaska check although I’ve only done a couple trips with them. The only way I would think you might run into issues is going over 50 pounds.

That being said you never know who is doing baggage so small chance you get a total asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Generally, keep it under 50lbs and your fine. I’d refrain from trying to check the boot bag deal.

Just landed in LAX from PDX with two pairs of skis and everything else up to 50# . They don't care <50#. Advise not packing your bourbon with skis.

Just flew from Vancouver. One roller bag with three pairs of skis, two poles, jackets for padding and a boot bag with helmet, etc. Was >50lbs and they counted it all as one piece of luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Just flew from Vancouver. One roller bag with three pairs of skis, two poles, jackets for padding and a boot bag with helmet, etc. Was >50lbs and they counted it all as one piece of luggage
    Cool!
    How the hell do you get all of that under 50lbs? Two sets of of ski's and a pair of boots and I'm already pushing the limit of 23kg's

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Cool!
    How the hell do you get all of that under 50lbs? Two sets of of ski's and a pair of boots and I'm already pushing the limit of 23kg's
    That's a greater than sign. It was around 70lbs total

Check their baggage policy online. You can get a free boot bag for boots/helmet only. I believe the ski bag can be up to 100lbs for the normal baggage fee ($25). They should not be checking your luggage to see how many pairs of skis.

I've been really happy I chose Alaska as my preferred airline a long time ago. Best evah. I've flown into Vancouver on Alaska with nine or ten pairs of skis in a ski bag and paid only $50 overweight charge. I've been banking my miles with Alaska since '94 and have been very pleased with them. I didn't fly them for two years and my miles disappeared a year ago cause the miles policy changed. I wrote them an email and bitched and they gave me back my miles and two more years to use them. They lost my bags on a ski trip once and they cut me a check for like $1500 at the counter. Then they found my bags a few days later. I used to be gold on Alaska's mileage plan and can say they treated me like royalty and gained my loyalty.

Been on AK air twice in past month
    They don't care about how many skis, and setting the end of a 61 lb bag on my boot bag to get to 49 was noticed but not called out. They cool, and a case of wine or military bag is also free.
    They rock.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

I just took AA from Oakland to Seattle and my bag was about 60ish pounds. Lady printed the baggage ticket and didn't even bat an eye

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

They can/will charge $75 for an oversized bag 50-100lbs.......but as others have stated a lot of times they just don’t care and it’s $25. Their site has good description of the oversized baggage details.

On a trip last year to BC to tour the Powder Hwy last year, me and my buddy’s ski bags both somehow didn’t get on our connecting flight from Seattle to Calgary. Our duffle bags made it and we always carry on our ski boots. Alaska didn’t know where are skis were, or when they would arrive in Calgary. We explained that we rented an RV, and we weren’t waiting around and that since we now read to rent skis, your paying for it. So we demoed skis at Lake Louise and Kicking Horse. Skis were eventually located and Alaska had them driven out to us at Revi. Flying home I asked for credit on our baggage fees for the flight up since our skis didn’t make it. Very nice lady at the gate said, “No worries” and it was done. Later we submitted receipts for two days of rentals ($170) and were given vouchers of equivalent value. They were cool and lived up to their promises.

No problems with skis, poles and clothes in ski bag flying through Seattle to Steamboat last year...

No problems with being over weight or 3 sets of skis in the bag but I did notice they check the bag pretty thoroughly for contraband. The interior bottom liner is a snap in nylon and it's usually been unsnapped when I get it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    No problems with being over weight or 3 sets of skis in the bag but I did notice they check the bag pretty thoroughly for contraband. The interior bottom liner is a snap in nylon and it's usually been unsnapped when I get it home.
    That's TSA not Alaska

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

It's all about the weight limit. Alaska has been great about this for my gazilllion flights with them.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Check out this blog post from Alaska Airlines https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ipment-update/

It says "Yep, that’s right – starting July 19, most sporting equipment that may exceed our normal checked baggage weight and dimensions flies for only $25"

Figured I'd bump this up but American finally updated their oversized (in length) sports equipment policy. Now only costs $30 unless you go over the weight limit. I don't think you need to have a boot bag included anymore now too.

Thank fucking god.

Used to get fucking destroyed when flying AA, $260 round trip for baggage fees if I wanted to carry-on my boots.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/amer...ical-gear.html

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Now only costs $30 unless you go over the weight limit. I don't think you need to have a boot bag included anymore now too.

Thank fucking god.
    You no like the the boot bag?!

That's the best loop hole out there. Last year on alaskan, I flew with a ski bag and my 80 L backpack. Ticket counter guy is about to charge me for another bag when i point out that is my boot bag. He goes that doesn't look like a boot bag to which I replied, "well my boots are in there." Said that works for him, then made a comment about no one flying with skis to alaska in late May anyways and comp'd the ski bag fee. So I'd say Alaskan Airlines are pretty rad, the free beer/wine on their flights in years past was a nice touch too.

Just flew Alaska last weekend to Reno. Had 1 pair of skis, boots, ski day pack and my outerwear wrapped around the skis (for cushioning) all in a Dakine roller bag. None of the check-in agents ever asked to open the bag or check the insides. Only thing they checked was weight, and I was at 40 lbs with all of the above so no issues. Honestly a much more seamless process then I was expecting. My ski bag even came out at the oversize bag pickup at the same time as all the other luggage (in less than 20 minutes thanks to Alaska's bag guarantee). Highly recommend Alaska for ski travel!
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique