Tell me about Kitzbuhel

A friend wants to go there. I want St. Anton. Who's right?

Could always do both.

It’s in Austria. Hope that helps.

I hear there's a race there.

My buds dad won it twice!

My recollection (Stanton a little fuzzy cause it's been 25yrs) is that Stanton is bigger w/more longer fall line runs, acerage, lifts. More wide open feel but shit tons of east access steeps that don't get skied.

Kitbuhel has also has shit tons of easy access steep shots but is a little less vert for the shots and has less skiable acres, lifts etc. Every skier should hot the race there and enjoy the party at least once.

Ski both, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Cool.

I meant to say hit not hot in my last post.

Also late afternoon drinking at huts on hill, then skiing down drunk and in the dark is good at both areas.

You are totally right to want to go to St Anton. It's one of the standout spots I've had the pleasure of skiing. I can't say much about Kitzbuhel, but I think you are right over your buddy. Kitzbuhel IIRC is famous for its glacier and summer skiing. St Anton (and Lech, Zurs, etc) is out of this world for terrain, access, and scenery. Go Benny!

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    I can't say much about Kitzbuhel. Kitzbuhel IIRC is famous for its glacier and summer skiing.
    Great post, so spot on.

Kitzbühel has a lot more fur cougars so that alone edges out St. Anton by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    It’s in Austria. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I hear there's a race there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Tanner Hall died there.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I heard it's near Chad's gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I heard it's near Chad's gap.
    is that lingo for chad's taint?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    is that lingo for chad's taint?
    More like lingo for newschoolers taint.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Kitz is lower. Nice town though. Stay in St Anton, it is full of drunk Brits, Germans and Scandis. It's got a lot of East and SE facing slopes. It will get mushy and slushy by early afternoon if you are going for spring. Make sure and head over to the other side and ski Lech, Warth and have a beer in Oberrlech. Or, have a glass of champagne and watch the poser skiers lounging and listening to Europop.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

You are totally right to want to go to St Anton. It's one of the standout spots I've had the pleasure of skiing. I can't say much about Kitzbuhel, but I think you are right over your buddy. Kitzbuhel IIRC is famous for its glacier and summer skiing. St Anton (and Lech, Zurs, etc) is out of this world for terrain, access, and scenery. Go Benny!
    That's great and all but which one has the better lodges and ski town?
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    St. Anton: ..... but shit tons of east access steeps that don't get skied.
    awesome! I've aslo heard there is a resident Austrian fairy who gives away free wishes and blowjobs!

Kitzbuhel IIRC is famous for its glacier and summer skiing. Go Benny!
    Yeah, and for Big Wave surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post

Yeah, and for Big Wave surfing.
    Come on, Benny don't surf

No worries. I understood easy. But the irony is that Anton was one of the first areas where people starting tracking everything quite fast.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Definitely St. Anton. I haven't been since the link was opened across Flexipass, but I have heard that lift lines are sometimes really bad getting from St. Anton over to the Zurs/Lech side of things now. Based on that, and based on the fact that I am closer to your age than that of the typical visitor to St. Anton, I would recommend staying in Lech. Or Stuben if you want something cheaper and can deal with someplace that is sleepy. If you stay in Stuben, you get ahead of the hordes moving from St. Anton to Lech, and if you stay in Lech, you are way ahead of them, or even moving against traffic so to speak going over to St. Anton for the day. I've been to the Arlberg 3 x in the last 15 years, staying in Stuben twice and Lech once (you get older and the budget changes), so PM me if you have follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    No worries. I understood easy. But the irony is that Anton was one of the first areas where people starting tracking everything quite fast.
    I was in St. Anton for 8 days in mid-to late-Feb. Insane. It snowed before we got there but didn't really snow much during our week and yet we found fresh tracks every single fukn day and it was all-time. I also heard it "tracks out quickly" and there are "a lot of free rider dudes there" blah blah. Coming from Squaw, I couldn't believe it. The entire Schindlergrat would be one big mogul field by 11am if we were at Squaw, and yet one morning we just kept lapping it with noone else there. Then up to the Valluga and off the back to Zurs for some sunshine and more fresh tracks. I love that place and am already trying to figure out how to get back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Definitely St. Anton. I haven't been since the link was opened across Flexipass, but I have heard that lift lines are sometimes really bad getting from St. Anton over to the Zurs/Lech side of things now.
    everytime we skied from st. anton over to Zurs we just skied over the valluga and down to zurs. we also drove over to zurs from stanton one morning to get an early jump on a big backcountry itinerary off the madloch. i did notice coming back to stanton at the end of the day there is a pretty big bottleneck at Stuben/Rauz when you get off the flexenbahn and transition over to the bubble six pack (Valfehgerbahn?) that takes you back up to a high point where you can ski back down to Stanton. We were with some locals who were moaning about the line (and the chair lift going right into a cold east wind), saying they wanted to take a taxi, or do some roundabout route via other lifts, but it was only a 20 minute euro shovefest. We only did this once. Another time we skied down underneath the highway (through this outrageous couloir) down to stuben, went across to the Albonagrat, skinned 15 minutes up to the Maroikopf and then had fresh tracks offpiste all the way down to luge run leading to the little beer stube at Verwall. Took the bus back to Stanton with a few other very happy people. Austria rules.

As per the recent Dolomite thread, are there good guide books for both or either area?

Well coming from squaw every euro resort must seem “untracked".
    The spoiled euro perspective about “untracked" may differ.

To advertise something of some remotely related people:
    This is enough for days skiing from the lift.
    https://www.amazon.de/Freeride-Map-A.../dp/3905916207

If you want more and some touring:
    By our own resident traveling superstar klar and friends
    https://www.amazon.de/PowderGuide-Ti.../dp/3702232109
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.