Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    What sold you on the non tour from that review?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    As a mostly inbounds ski I don't want them flapping around in crud. The review made them seem far softer.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Damn that just sold me on the bibbys over the tours... Looks like I have to change my brake size as well.
    Just was listening to blisters gear30 podcast! The Bibbys are gone next year!! Replaced by the exact ski with a new name haha.

Put my deposit in today and updated the spreadsheet. Planning to use them pretty much as a pure touring binding so considering Bibby Tour, Black Crows Anima Freebird, and the new Bent Chetler 120. Bibby Tours would be an easy call except for the mostly black topsheets--anyone know how they compare with the Anima Freebirds?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Put my deposit in today and updated the spreadsheet. Planning to use them pretty much as a pure touring binding so considering Bibby Tour, Black Crows Anima Freebird, and the new Bent Chetler 120. Bibby Tours would be an easy call except for the mostly black topsheets--anyone know how they compare with the Anima Freebirds?
    No but everyone (myself included) that wants a pow oriented touring ski would love to know. I'm mounting my shifts on a 104sh ski but if I ever get a second pair, they're going on exactly one of those 3 skiis (where ive narrowed it to as well).

The Bibbys are one of the best skis Moment has ever made, and has a cult following for good reason. The Bibby Tour is just a lighter layup of that ski (by approx 350g/ski), so it's not quite as damp... that said, if it's even 80% of a Bibby it's still a damned good ski.

Atomic keeps changing the Bent Chetler every year. It's always got great reviews, but it doesn't ever really seem to stay the same. IIRC, two years ago the 184 was 2500g/ski... because I guess Chris didn't really tour with it? But last year it was 2400g/ski, this year the ski is 2100g/ski, and for next year the 184 is 1750g/ski... so it's a little inconsistent and you have to be really particular with the reviews you look at. That being said, it's always been a softer/surfier ski meant for powder, whereas the Bibby is a bit stiffer and chargier for cruddier conditions. They're pretty comparable skis but I personally feel the Bibby will be more versatile, and the Bent Chetler will be better for pristine powder lines (which is probably why atomic is gutting the weight).

So... the Bibby Tour (1800g) and the 18/19 Bent Chetler (1750g) are probably very similar skis now. Whereas the regular Bibby (2100g) is gonna be the beefier big brother which will be more similar to the heavier 17/18 Bent Chetlers.

I'm going take the weight hit and go with the regular layup Bibby myself.

No knowledge of black crows myself.
    Last edited by macon; 03-19-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    The Bibbys are one of the best skis Moment has ever made, and has a cult following for good reason. The Bibby Tour is just a lighter layup of that ski (by approx 350g/ski), so it's not quite as damp... that said, if it's even 80% of a Bibby it's still a damned good ski.

Atomic keeps changing the Bent Chetler every year. It's always got great reviews, but it doesn't ever really seem to stay the same. IIRC, two years ago the 184 was 2500g/ski... because I guess Chris didn't really tour with it? But last year it was 2400g/ski, this year the ski is 2100g/ski, and for next year the 184 is 1750g/ski... so it's a little inconsistent and you have to be really particular with the reviews you look at. That being said, it's always been a softer/surfier ski meant for powder, whereas the Bibby is a bit stiffer and chargier for cruddier conditions. They're pretty comparable skis but I personally feel the Bibby will be more versatile, and the Bent Chetler will be better for pristine powder lines (which is probably why atomic is gutting the weight).

So... the Bibby Tour (1800g) and the Bent Chetler (1750g) are probably very similar skis now. Whereas the regular Bibby (2100g) is gonna be the beefier big brother which will be more similar to the older and heavier Bent Chetlers.

I'm going take the weight hit and go with the regular layup Bibby myself.

No knowledge of black crows myself.
    Given these will be touring skis, crud performance isn't a consideration for me. Hopefully they'll always see powder, but realistically, they will also see a healthy amount of windboard and potentially some steep, scoured entrances. The softness and forward mount of the Bent Chetler scares me a little in those situations, but my primary goal is powder performance, and I'm wondering whether the 184 Bibby Tours will float well enough in heavy snow.

The Bibby Tour would be an easy choice except for the dark topsheets--if they're going to collect snow every tour, there's no point in having lightweight skis. Anyone have experience with that given the Bibby Tours have had dark topsheets the last few years?

Anyone foresee any issues with mounting these with inserts?

For anyone wondering on larger brake sizing, here is the new Bent Chetler (120mm underfoot) taken McNutt's photo I am assuming with the 120 brake (couldn't be the 110, could it?)

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 11.57.03 AM.png
Views: 544
Size:  414.3 KB

Update: 25 Pre-Orders

Anyone who was waiting to get closer to 30 or worried we weren't gonna make it (looking at you wwwcllclclclclc!) - stop!

It's March 16 and we have 5 to go.

Anyone have info on using these with inserts?
    E.g. do you have to move the heel to access screws?

I could put this on a few skis if insert screws are easy
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Anyone have info on using these with inserts?
    E.g. do you have to move the heel to access screws?

I could put this on a few skis if insert screws are easy
    Ditto. I'd like to buy more skiis, not bindings

Given these will be touring skis, crud performance isn't a consideration for me. Hopefully they'll always see powder, but realistically, they will also see a healthy amount of windboard and potentially some steep, scoured entrances. The softness and forward mount of the Bent Chetler scares me a little in those situations, but my primary goal is powder performance, and I'm wondering whether the 184 Bibby Tours will float well enough in heavy snow.

The Bibby Tour would be an easy choice except for the dark topsheets--if they're going to collect snow every tour, there's no point in having lightweight skis. Anyone have experience with that given the Bibby Tours have had dark topsheets the last few years?
    Good point with the dark topsheets. I have a pair of 2016 Meridians which have a really dark topsheet as well, and all things considered they do a decent job at mitigating snow accumulation because moment's topsheets are matte and textured (compared to gloss topsheets that ice over).

That said, what are your thoughts on using a rub-on auto wax, pam or rub-on ski wax on your topsheets?

Good point with the dark topsheets. I have a pair of 2016 Meridians which have a really dark topsheet as well, and all things considered they do a decent job at mitigating snow accumulation because moment's topsheets are matte and textured (compared to gloss topsheets that ice over).

That said, what are your thoughts on using a rub-on auto wax, pam or rub-on ski wax on your topsheets?
    This is a great idea. Why couldn't we use some wax, spray on wax or heavy duty scotch guard to mitigate snow accumulation? In theory, it should work.

2 more pre-orders to go. Think it is too late to change brake width? I ordered 110 to go on a 108mm ski which by pictures look way too wide. Should I change to 100?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

2 additional pre orders now. I paid via paypal and other mag is going into the store in Truckee tomorrow. I'll add him to the spreadsheet after he pays

Same question as above ^^, Mounting these on 108s and ordered 110 brake.

For reference, I'm mounting on 116s and ordered the 110 brake... I'm thinking I might have to bend a little, but if not even better.

You can change! Just send an update email with your name and new request and a nice note

For reference, I'm mounting on 116s and ordered the 110 brake... I'm thinking I might have to bend a little, but if not even better.
    Only 2 more millimeters should be doable right? 1mm each way? I mean I look at that on a ruler and it seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    Only 2 more millimeters should be doable right? 1mm each way? I mean I look at that on a ruler and it seems reasonable.
    I would think so. If I were getting a 108 I'd probably go with the 100 brake personally. Worst case you bend it a little and it's all good. Honestly there are a lot of brake options here and the brakes already come with 2 bends (which makes it easier to adjust imo).

Anecdote: I've heard of people buying 95 pivots to fit their 108 skis because the 115 pivot would have left too much room.

I would think so. If I were getting a 108 I'd probably go with the 100 brake personally. Worst case you bend it a little and it's all good. Honestly there are a lot of brake options here and the brakes already come with 2 bends (which makes it easier to adjust imo).

Anecdote: I've heard of people buying 95 pivots to fit their 108 skis because the 115 pivot would have left too much room.
    Well I preordered a 120 for something that will be 118 underfoot. We really need to see some more pictures so we can change orders if needed asap.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Well I preordered a 120 for something that will be 118 underfoot. We really need to see some more pictures so we can change orders if needed asap.
    Look on prior page. There is the new Bent Chetler which is 120. Assume a 120 brake also

Quote Originally Posted by DocChronic View Post
    2 additional pre orders now. I paid via paypal and other mag is going into the store in Truckee tomorrow. I'll add him to the spreadsheet after he pays

Same question as above ^^, Mounting these on 108s and ordered 110 brake.
    2nd mag paid in Truckee. Updated spreadsheet. Girl in Tahoe Mtn Sports mentioned we hit the 20% discount rate.

Quote Originally Posted by DocChronic View Post
    2nd mag paid in Truckee. Updated spreadsheet. Girl in Tahoe Mtn Sports mentioned we hit the 20% discount rate.
    YEAH JONGS!

Congrats to all on getting these cheaper than anyone not affiliated with Salomon for the next 2+ years

Nice. Thanks again for putting this together Margotron!