Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    skared, I do , and I am pretty old school and like riding in pow not on it , any way that wasn't really the question ,
    is the Navi too limp for even tracked out pow ?
    Im just picturing dropping in and being able to lick the tips while scratching my lats with the tails ?
    Any one with in put on the Fischer Pro mtn ?

Are you actually in Ontario?

If so... there's no hope. You might consider giving up skiing...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    See the little box to the right side and under each post? The one that says "Reply with Quote"? That's how it's done. Also, learn the meaning of JONG and wear it with pride, Jong.

As for skis, for where you ski (wherever that is), the Legend X88 might be a top choice. When you travel, the X106 might be a great demo choice, depending on how much snow there is. The X88 is a fine ski for up to 12-16" of new snow. Anything deeper, the 106 would be more fun. Even on groomed, though, the 106 plays well. It has a short turn radius for a big ski and rails on edge pretty well. I don't really like bigger skis on 2D snow myself due to the added knees stress but it's a good ski, even in firmer conditions.
    I knew the little button was there , didn't know where to start the cursor off typing.
    YOu should start a ski clothing line, catch phrase -only the bravest wear JONG , nothing tells your story like a JONG balaclava

Is there any reason not to split the differnce and go to the 96

Only in that in probably 95% of the time, you wouldn't need the extra width and would miss having a bit narrower ski that skis better on harder snow. The 88's are really nice carvers and I think you give some of that up with a wider ski. The 96 would probably be okay for your conditions but the 88 would likely be better, at least for me. Like I said, even in somewhat deeper snow, the 88 works fine for me. For really deep days, demo something wide and save some cash. Or, demo a few and buy something you really like.

I see that you figured out the cursor.... And, I don't wear balaclavas....

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    register on the whistler ski/board swap, people leaving town are selling all kinds of gear
    Which specific swap are you referring to? Like Facebook? Craigslist? WMSC? Or what?

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I know your pain. But really two totally different skis. When we see Eastern skiers at KH on a powder day on carvers we just tell them to rent something that works. Buy something from Corbetts on sale from last years stock. If you want to save money don't go to WB one year and go to Banff , Fernie KH or Revie. Use the $ to buy a ski you will enjoy out west. Something 95 to 105 under foot.
    https://www.corbetts.com/2014-blizza...r-14-bindings/

https://www.corbetts.com/2017-line-s...ens-skis-only/

just think of snow plowing with kids at Glen Eden on something fatish, no fun , just make the ski last longer before you replace , a ski doesn't last years it lasts ski days , 150 days then replace , even longer out east
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

OP - Might want to check out this article. I mentioned the added knee stress with fat skis on hard snow and just, coincidentally, ran into this. http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/yo...b2e4b192c.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Which specific swap are you referring to? Like Facebook? Craigslist? WMSC? Or what?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/whistlerski.boardswap/

Its facebook, you ask to join and they accept you after a few days
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    OP - Might want to check out this article. I mentioned the added knee stress with fat skis on hard snow and just, coincidentally, ran into this. http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/yo...b2e4b192c.html
    I like it, good to read and glad you shared it, although knee strain is something we all consider as skiers, I would have never thought it weighed in on this topic.

still no-one weighing on Fishcher pro mtn ?

Also its pretty neat getting info on Dynastar, you guys all know yoru stuff, everything on the flatland mounds around here are Rossi, Head, and atomic. Most of that being sold at sport check. It's great when the guy fitting hockey helmets goes over and starts talking skis.

....... Get me out of here .......

The NRGY and Navigotor lines are pretty limp...... I get a Nordica Hook up, and they are not bad skis but I find them really easy to fold in tracked out pow, and they lack grip on hard snow as well. They are really fun in trees, bumps, and soft groomers up to moderate speeds.

I wish they would just make the Navigators with the Enforcer construction, it would be a way better skis for most skiers.

IMO the Enforcer 93 is basically better in every attribute than the Navigator 90. Its even better on hard snow. With that said the Fischer Pro MTN 86 is better on hard snow than the E93 but is not better in any other way from the E93.

I could have fun on the Enforcer 93 at holiday valley and holimont, although I would prefer something between 70-80mm underfoot for really hard days but if I had to wittle my 15 ski quiver down to one ski, it would be a 185cm Enforcer 93 mounted -2 with a step in touring binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    The NRGY and Navigotor lines are pretty limp...... I get a Nordica Hook up, and they are not bad skis but I find them really easy to fold in tracked out pow, and they lack grip on hard snow as well. They are really fun in trees, bumps, and soft groomers up to moderate speeds.

I wish they would just make the Navigators with the Enforcer construction, it would be a way better skis for most skiers.

IMO the Enforcer 93 is basically better in every attribute than the Navigator 90. Its even better on hard snow. With that said the Fischer Pro MTN 86 is better on hard snow than the E93 but is not better in any other way from the E93.

I could have fun on the Enforcer 93 at holiday valley and holimont, although I would prefer something between 70-80mm underfoot for really hard days but if I had to wittle my 15 ski quiver down to one ski, it would be a 185cm Enforcer 93 mounted -2 with a step in touring binding.
    like I said in the first post, I want to want the navi but I am pretty sure you just convinced me I don't. So now, E 93's or legend 96
    is the E 93 better in the trees and bumbs than the pro mtn 95 ( not 86)

zipped, You talked me down from the Navi's which after some to time to compress, Is what I realize all I needed.

E93 are for sure better than the Pro MTN 95 in trees and bumps. I have never skied the Legends but have own a Bonafide, Brahma, and have skied the Fischers. The Fischer that you would want isnt out yet..... the Ranger 92 not to be confused the Ranger 90 which is kinda of Meh.

just a word of caution. IMO the Enforcer mount point is to far forward. If you demo them try them -1 or -2. At the line they feel really squirrelly, back alittle they are still nimble and ski pow way better.

and not trying to complicate things but if your willing to buy a new ski, the new Rustler 9 could fit the bill as well.

I just skied a PNW powder weekend on some 95mm skis, not ideal but totally doable and still very fun. 95mm can lay trenches on hard pack any day in the East. I would argue it’s less about width underfoot and more about sidecut profile. I think just under 100, with a lot of sidecut, is a good compromise for both coasts.

I say get the 4Runner, or the red ones. That doesn't work shoot the hostage.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I say get the 4Runner, or the red ones. That doesn't work shoot the hostage.
    LMAO lovit
    actually you made me realize I am just plain old stupid for asking advice here, the salesperson at sportcheck in the city down the road knows all about parabolics and has exactly what I need.
    and they match my boots, which match my pants , which match my coat and toque.
    Can't get a better ski, and today is your lucky day. They're marked down 65%

The more I think as bout this, the more I like the swap board option and two pairs - one in the mid-80s and one in the mid to upper 100's (x106, Backland 109, Soul 7, something more chargey if that suits you more).

Mid to upper 100's is all you'd need to take on your Western trip.

As far as 96 being enough (one ski quiver), well sure, I used to ski knee deep in 207cm skinny slalom skis. It doesn't mean I'd do it now however, and I think you'd find 96 to be on the wide side for Ontario.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by cobblehiller View Post
    the salesperson at sportcheck in the city down the road knows all about parabolics and has exactly what I need.
    and they match my boots, which match my pants , which match my coat and toque.
    You know what you call two ski instructors?

A pair of ball licks
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The more I think as bout this, the more I like the swap board option and two pairs - one in the mid-80s and one in the mid to upper 100's (x106, Backland 109, Soul 7, something more chargey if that suits you more).

Mid to upper 100's is all you'd need to take on your Western trip.

As far as 96 being enough (one ski quiver), well sure, I used to ski knee deep in 207cm skinny slalom skis. It doesn't mean I'd do it now however, and I think you'd find 96 to be on the wide side for Ontario.

... Thom
    This is what works for me. I'm currently on my third pair of Rossi Exp 88 with a pair of Dynastar X88 in waiting in my locker, ready to break out this weekend. All the while, I've had a pair of Super 7 that I got at the same as my first Exp 88 (year before the honeycomb tip design). I so rarely need/use the Super 7 that it just doesn't make sense to get a newer pair of wide skis, although I am getting a pair of X106 in the near future. I just don't need the wider skis except on the rare, really deep day that we get. I used to do a lot of heli/cat skiing but retired out of that 4 years ago so very rarely have the need. Also, I don't like the way the Super 7 skis all that well, other than in really deep snow. I think the X106 will be a much different ski and will be way more fun. I'm pretty sure I'll be using that much more than I ever used the Supers. Anyway, a two pair quiver really is ideal for me. I don't think a 96 would be as ideal to me 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    You know what you call two ski instructors?

A pair of ball licks
    snoq did you think I was serious ???

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/whistlerski.boardswap/

Its facebook, you ask to join and they accept you after a few days
    Thanks for that info!

I've found & joined similar local FB groups in Whistler, but for 2 winters, I've always wanted to find a specific FB group like that! Man, apparently I suck at the internet...

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Shameless plug since I’m probably local-enough to the OP.
    OP, I have a mint set of El Capo 177 ( 107 wide ) with Griffon demo-bindings listed on Kijiji for really cheap. They have very good edge hold on groomers, and plenty versatile as a travel ski. FYI I have a Kastle BMX105 non-HP 181 as my travel ski ( I’m a Kastle fanboy ) but nothing wrong with the El Capo.

- Andy in Waterloo

I just posted this in the Dynastar thread but thought I would put it here, too, since it was relevant to the discussion:

I just skied on my X88's for the first time this weekend. Also got a chance to ride the X106 for a few runs on Friday and just ordered up a pair last night. First, the 88's were really a great ride. They rail the edge nicely, smooth transitions, and rocketed through manky mashed potatoes without bucking. I also was skiing them in about a foot of mostly untracked and they worked just fine in the pow. On Friday, we had received 1" of new according to the report. Of course, that's at the lodge elevation and doesn't account for what's been blown in on some aspects.

Then onto the X106, With about 8" near the top on lee sides of the ridges, this ski felt good, stable, pretty quick turning but it wasn't until the afternoon when we received 6" in three hours that I really got to play with them in some trees and deeper snow. In some areas that were holding just less than knee-deep, what impressed me was how easy they were to release into the next turn. The pin tails really let me get them around fast. They floated well and were also nice and stable in the run-outs to the lifts. I really liked this, especially in comparison to my older Super 7's. These ski much more like a regular ski than the Super 7s and I could get down into the snow instead of floating. With that, they still were really easy to ski. So, I ordered them up and have, after 15 years, moved away from Rossi to Dynastar. Same company so no complaints from the reps. I just liked the 88's better than my Rossi Experience 88's and the 106 was hands down better for me than my old Supers. Really glad I'm making this change.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 03-05-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobblehiller View Post
    Looking for a new ski,
    being a flatlander and looking for one ski that can keep me happy on the Ice and crud at the local mound like blue mountain or Holiday valley, but that is enough ski for spanky's and fraggle at WB.
    I want to want the nordica Navigator 90, I have watched reveiws on it and it really sounds like the ski for me for home,
    short turn radius , quick , light swing weight.
    What I don't know is if it's gonna be enough ski to take west and rip.
    I am also considering the Fischer pro mtn 86,
    or the Dynastar legend X 96 , pretty sure If I lived west, this would be the grocery getter ski but not sure if its gonna be too much ski for home.
    Any Thoughts ?
    if you get up real early you will get a run or 2 and everything will be beat out by 10 am
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

cheers, came in wondering about 96's being enough and looks like its gonna be 88's even.
    or do I get the red one's
    ( actually came in to see if navi's were enough but I guess not even close )