Elan Ripstick 96, Dynafit Beast 98 Black Crows Camox Freebird... feedback?

Looking for a ski for touring for turns in the alps, not hut to hut, so the downhill performance is important, but these are not a 50:50 ski. They will only ever see groomers 10% of the time. I have some Enforcer 100's which I use for resort / sidecountry / very short tours.

I was looking at Elan Ripstick 96, Dynafit Beast 98 Black Crows Camox Freebird as possible options all in the 3-3.3kg range. Wildcards could include Dynastar mythic 97 or legend X96.

No option to demo. There seems to be limited chatter or reliable reviews on the Elan / Dynafits. Anyone got any time on any of the above comparison? Particularly interested in which might perform best outside of the resort as that is where they will spend 90% of their time. Are there any other options that I should be considering?

Me 150lbs, skiing tele with a light (tech/TTS) binding - solid skier but I'm not dropping cliffs and I'm not looking for a super stiff charger here.

My bias is toward the Elans (which can be had cheap), but slightly put off by the relatively wide shovel, and sizing is tricky (174 or 181 - I'd normally shoot for ~175-180). Black Crows seem to be a safe choice but there appears to be a bit of a price premium as they are a bit trendy. Dynafit is perhaps more of an unknown.

T.I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by gritter View Post
    Are there any other options that I should be considering?
    blizzard zeroG 95 or salomon mtn 95, 4FRNT raven, to name a few with solid reviews.

I have 2 sets of the Ripstick 96's, and they're great boards. Very light for the size. I have a air set up alpine, and a pair set up tele (22 Designs Outlaws). If anything, I would say that they ski a little short for their stated length. I'm on 181's (6', 195#), and I am overpowering them, so I plan to grab a set of 188's next year.

Contact me if you'd like to buy a pair of barely used ones - I'll be selling both of mine in the coming days.
    Gravity. It's the law.

A number of tele rip-outs on Black Crows "Freebird" line. Mainly on the Corvus Freebird, but if you contact them directly they will tell you they do not recommend mounting their touring lineup for telemark.

@Smooth Operator: Salomon MTN 95 is a great option but my wife has them and I can't bring myself to have the same skis... perhaps if they changed the topsheets up a bit next year You have the ZeroG 95 if I got that right from another thread, correct? I'm put off by the superlight weight and stiffness of this option - these are replacing some Down 102s which were great in the soft, but just too hard work for me anywhere else and I guess I'm looking for something a touch more easygoing.

@axebiker: good to know on the length for these - reviewed are fairly complimentary but seem to suggest that they get a bit nervous at speed. I guess I can't have everything. Thoughts?

@Viglio - good to know. I'll cross them of the list.

Any fans of the Dynastars, either mythic 97 (lighter) or Legend X96... the mythics perhaps sound like they may ski a little 'locked in' for a versatile BC ski.

Mythic is less locked in than a ZeroG 95. Quicker turning. Rolls edge to edge well.

Quote Originally Posted by gritter View Post
    @axebiker: good to know on the length for these - reviewed are fairly complimentary but seem to suggest that they get a bit nervous at speed. I guess I can't have everything. Thoughts?
    I've really only had them on hardpack conditions so far, and I would not call them "nervous" per se, but they do prefer to be on edge, and are really solid on those edges for a fairly light semi-fat. Obviously a little twitchier than a ski with a couple layers of metal, but feel much more alive.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Camox Freebird / Ripstick and Mythic are interesting to compare. The X96 is a lot heavier and stiffer, therefore different catergory imo. No experience with the Dynafit.
    Camox Freebird: not as lively and grippy as the other two, easy to ski but boring imo, light enough but I just could not get the tips work in all conditions..
    Mythic: great ski, lively, does it all, firm enough to push a little more than other touring skis but a little on the €€€ side at €580 if that is acceptable then go for these.
    Ripstick: the amphibio rocker thing works, versatile, good for bc and tours, inside edge grips when needed, light enough for tours, lively, not sexy but much cheaper to get (€390) [best buy]

Thanks for the replies. Saw a good deal on the Mythics so jumped on that. Will report back in the Dynastar thread once I've logged some miles on them.