Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black Diamond AT pole grips

Anybody have luck re-gluing the rubber grips (not handle on the top) on poles? My Black Diamond AT poles both grips are loose and slide down to the locking mechanism. I have tried to glue them using contact cement but no luck. It is difficult to get the adhesive under the grip, any help??

make a bottom stop with a few wraps of 1/2" duck tape strips

alternative, cut them off and replace with hockey tape/twist method

Hockey tape is better anyway.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I use road bike handlebar tape, start at the bottom and wrap up. Nicely insulating.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I use road bike handlebar tape, start at the bottom and wrap up. Nicely insulating.

Yup this ^^ works pretty good

I used tape I took off my road bike cuz the part of the tape that was covered is like brand new so do the wrap to show the unused tape and make sure you get the over lap right ... start at the bottom
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ok, those are ideas, what about the weight of the bike tape? I think I might go with a few wraps of duct tape as a stop.

Bike tape is foam, pretty dang light. I use it as a replacement for the stock grip, not to hold it up. I make it about a foot tall.

Gravity always wins...

Duct tape is good to have though, that would be great if you really like the original grips

Gravity always wins...

I got the older BD flicklocks from before they put those rubber grips on the aluminum upper, I just wrap it like I would wrap a handlebar, I had black handlebar tape so I used black electrical tape to secure the ends, I wrapped bottom to top because I would be pulling down on the tape when I grip it ...same reasons you wrap road bike tape the way you do

its cork tape, its held up for several seasons, it would have been thrown out and so it cost nothing

You could try to use double sided tape like they use to install golf grips. A couple of layers of double sided tape put some solvent on the tape, then slide the grips over let solvent evaporate should hold pretty well. Worth a try.

Everyone uses hot melt glue for pole grips and baskets on nordic poles. I don't know if hot melt glue would work on BD rubber grips but for what it's worth hot melt glue guns sell for $2-3 at Walmart. I would maybe smear a bit of glue on the pole at the lowest point where you want the grip to sit and then try to slide the grip upwards in to place. It would be messy if it's a tight fit because the glue is not very thin.

The glue sets up fast so you have to be fast too. And it doesn't take much glue, but if it doesn't work dunking the pole in hot water will release the glue. Lot's of videos on YouTube.

I would think just a bead of hot glue around the pole at the base of your rubber grip would work as a stop just like duct tape.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

That is some 10 yr old black cork tape from my C-dale road bike and its been on the BD pole for a few years.

You can take the old tape off the bars and rewrap it so you get the new side,

I made a bump at the bottom which is handy to grab onto

secure with electrical tape and bobs yer uncle eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pole.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	225981  

I like that idea.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

RE: Black Diamond AT pole grips

Hi, here is my 5cents worth of info that you might like. I wrap my pole with hockey tape by starting just under the hand grip. Make one full wrap around shaft and then pull out 1 ft or so of tape and then spin the tape roll to make it string-like, then spiral wrap down the shaft to whatever length you like( tape making a screw like pattern) and
    then back wrap tape over itself back up the pole to the grip. Voila, instant professional-looking hand grip.
    The screw like pattern and tape tackiness gives your fingers/gloves good purchase.
    Hope this works for you as as it's my go to method on all my poles that don't have a built-in hand grips.

One more for the hockey tape. I like to wrap rolled tape twice, once in either direction. Unnecessarily artsy photo below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_100445-02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	711.0 KB 
ID:	226040

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Anybody have luck re-gluing the rubber grips (not handle on the top) on poles? My Black Diamond AT poles both grips are loose and slide down to the locking mechanism. I have tried to glue them using contact cement but no luck. It is difficult to get the adhesive under the grip, any help??
    I really like the grippiness of the OEM BD lower grips.

Just inject 3M 5200 under there using your caulk gun. Then work the grip to spread it around (the 5200 will act like a lubricant with it's grease like consistency). Might want to warm everything up to 80-90F before you begin.

Wipe off any excess and make damn sure the grip is where you want it because your not going to get that thing off there again without cutting it off with a sharp blade.

Bump for a couple year old thread. People still liking hockey tape and roadbike handlebar tape? Any other tips?

road bike bar tape is still working fine, the key is to wrap bottom to top so you don't pull down on the exposed edge and rip it all to shit

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    road bike bar tape is still working fine, the key is to wrap bottom to top so you don't pull down on the exposed edge and rip it all to shit
    That makes sense. What do you use to tape the bottom, electrical tape?

yeah post# 14 you can see ^^ a large ball of electric tape over a couple layers of the handebar tape, i think the 3M mastic would work well also, the ball shaped wad is good cuz your hand doesn't slide any further down the pole

one side of used bike handlebar tape will appear brand new and one side will be worn

you wana wrap it so the used side is covered and the new side is exposed

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah post# 14 you can see ^^ a large ball of electric tape over a couple layers of the handebar tape, i think the 3M mastic would work well also, the ball shaped wad is good cuz your hand doesn't slide any further down the pole

one side of used bike handlebar tape will appear brand new and one side will be worn

you wana wrap it so the used side is covered and the new side is exposed
    Any issues with the electrical tape coming undone?

no, zero problems or maintenance, one of the poles has a small nick in the tape as you can see but otherwise fine, I would do it again

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    That makes sense. What do you use to tape the bottom, electrical tape?
    If cut the starting end of the tape at a 45 degree angle, you likely won't have to tape the bottom (starting side). Of course, without a handlebar plug at the starting side, it wouldn't hurt to tape that end too.

Of course, use only Cinelli cork tape

Start at about 2:30 ...

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music