Crystal Springs Avalanche Death

http://komonews.com/news/local/rescu...rings-sno-park

EASTON, Wash. -- One person is dead Sunday after an avalanche at Crystal Springs Sno-Park near Easton, according to the Kittitas County Sheriff's Office.
    Search and Rescue responded to the avalanche 16 miles west of Cle Elum and five miles south of Interstate 90. A group of five people were in the area when the avalanche hit.

The Sheriff's Office said two people have minor injuries and two others were buried. It is unknown what their conditions are. The fifth person reportedly died.
    RIP
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I was in that area today. Stability felt okay in the trees but I didn't venture higher.

Snowmobiles put a large stress on deep, fresh storm snow. From the picture I've seen, this didn't break on the PWL in the discussion lately, but rather just in the ~2ft of weekend storm snow.

The article I saw made it sounds like a group of 5 snowmobiles who got hit while having lunch. No idea if someone was actually playing around above the rest of the group or what but it sounded like all 5 people may have been caught. My source is local news so take that for what it's worth.

The report that the fatal avy happened "at Crystal Springs Sno-Park" is very misleading. AFAICT, the avy occurred near Mirror Lake, which is below the E peak of Tinkham, frequently accessed by snowmobilers via Yakima Pass. The margins of Mirror Lake adjacent to very steep slopes that often get wind loaded. Calling Mirror Lake a "terrain trap" after a big snow storm is an understatement.