Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i’m letting my jr achiever drive our 03 pilot when it’s time.
    i think this is a really great vehicle and pray it stays upright.
    Make sur ehe keeps good rubber on it, and it should. AWD is no substitute for good tires.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Actualy had this kind of conversation with lance the local freelance mechanic "what 1st car?" and he figures you can either buy something used that needs or is gona need $$$$ work which will net cost the same amount OR consider the cheapest econo box off the showroom floor with a warranty for around 10K.

Back in the day car repair ran into 2 figures, we did the entire front end on a 62 nova for 67$ now days it can easily cost 4 figures

4x4, SUV are they needs or wants ... really ?

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    He doesn't realy have the skillset to choose a car yet. Yes, he has led a sheltered life ,but that's largely because he grew up in a place where he almost never needed a car, so he and his buddies never became gearheads. They could strip and re-build a bicycle like a Movistar mechanic. As to lending him the money, the kid's got enough debt from going to college, and he's already working his ass off at what has turned out to be a pretty demanding undergrad programs. I can afford to do this for him, so can't think of a really good reason I shouldn't.

I am reminded of that scene in "Out of Africa " where Robert Redford points to the Native with the spear and sez to Meryl Streep more or less " thats my tracker don't do anything for him "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Timing chains wear out just like all moving parts, but could easily go the life of the engine without replacement. The tensioner might need to be replaced along the way though.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    4x4, SUV are they needs or wants ... really ?
    yeah, no kidding.

XXXer, I don't think there are any new cars for $10k. Cheap new cars start around $15k.

And AWD is definitely a want, not a need. When I was 21, AWD barely existed, and 4WD was expensive. These days, you barely pay anything at all to get AWD in the used market. But still, it's a want, not a need, and like the OP said, I'm trying to find that balance between practical and fun, not pushing for pure practicality.

Yet Another What Car should I Buy

But he is right about the AWD and SUV. I received a very hard used family vw scirocco just entering college (aunt's car, and she ran it almost into the ground). Took a bit to get it roadworthy, and then cover the running costs with a pt job and hard summer labour. FWD and zippy, it saw many a forest service road for both pleasure and pain. Good rubber and it was fine in the snow. None of that hurt my university opportunities or summer employment. Scrapped it a year before grad, and picked up Marty McFly's SR5. Life was good and well earned.

OK, if you jtake AWD/4WD off the wants list, what awesome vehicles get added to the list that I should be looking at? There are no reliable Sciroccos left out there in the wild, so what mid-sized wagon/hatchback or even sedan would today's younger crowd love that's in th eprice range I'm scoping out?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I received a very hard used family vw scirocco just entering college (aunt's car, and she ran it almost into the ground). Took a bit to get it roadworthy, and then cover the running costs with a pt job and hard summer labour. FWD and zippy, it saw many a forest service road for both pleasure and pain. Good rubber and it was fine in the snow. None of that hurt my university opportunities or summer employment. Scrapped it a year before grad, and picked up Marty McFly's SR5. Life was good and well earned.
    Similar story... I had a relative who moved for work and didn't want to take their pos vw rabbit with them, so they left it with me. The rear main seal was leaking so the clutch slipped like a mofo, the exhaust was completely rusted out, and the driver's window didn't roll down.

Kids today are getting sprinters...

so what mid-sized wagon/hatchback or even sedan would today's younger crowd love that's in th eprice range I'm scoping out?
    Mazda 3

Largest model, lowest mileage Honda Civic within your price.

Edit, ya - Mazda 3 would be excellent too.

RX330s are great cars.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Similar story... I had a relative who moved for work and didn't want to take their pos vw rabbit with them, so they left it with me. The rear main seal was leaking so the clutch slipped like a mofo, the exhaust was completely rusted out, and the driver's window didn't roll down.

Kids today are getting sprinters...
    Heh. Mine came with 10cm of water in the floor, no brakes, transmission could only find 2nd and 4th. And a fuel distributor issue I never properly resolved. But that little car could challenge the rwd muscle cars of the day on the windy roads around Nelson
    Clutch finally went and the cost to replace wasn't worth the vehicle. 6months of the dirty dog and thumbing it before I found my Toyota p/u.

There are no reliable Sciroccos left out there in the wild
    there never was at any point in time. Fun car though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post

RX330s are great cars.
    my early 1990's Jeep Sport (can't remember 91 or 92) was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
    Made friends with pathfinders and 4runners could not keep up when we went off-roading . Not even close.

XXXer, I don't think there are any new cars for $10k. Cheap new cars start around $15k.

And AWD is definitely a want, not a need. When I was 21, AWD barely existed, and 4WD was expensive. These days, you barely pay anything at all to get AWD in the used market. But still, it's a want, not a need, and like the OP said, I'm trying to find that balance between practical and fun, not pushing for pure practicality.
    http://driving.ca/nissan/micra/auto-...cars-in-canada

I technically never made it out of Highschool but it still only took me like 30 seconds

probably even cheaper in the excited states eh?

if he is that outdoorsy a used 4x4 ford Ranger is a great idea and very reliable
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Actually, you'd be surprised if you keep expectations in check. Here's a perfectly reliable, very economical vehicle that is brand new, with a good warranty...for $8350.
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=476831255
    The little Mitsus are currently the cheapest new vehicles in the US and can there are gazillions of brand new 2018s under $10K.

As much as it'd be fun for him to get an older VW, Subaru, etc., if he isn't much of a gearhead, then it could be a good way to go for a broke college student who doesn't really care about cars and doesn't want to worry about spending half his semesters wrenching. Pains me to suggest new since I'm a staunch advocate of the TGR obligatory 6MT AWD diesel wagon unicorn, but I'll make an exception in this case. Sure, he'd get tons of Portland street cred if he rocking a VW Westfalia or Subaru Brat, but going the vintage route probably wouldn't be the best choice for the reasons you stated. Good luck!

He doesn't realy have the skillset to choose a car yet.
    Well I guess choosing and buying one for him will help build this skillset.

WTF is with parents these days?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Mazda 3
    Or VW Golf or Civic or Fit. Once you scrap the AWD requirement, you get options with good gas mileage. For my money, probably the cheapest Mazda3 hatch with the Skyactiv 2.0 liter I could find, though.

Sorry to thread jack but it seems to fit here.
    What are people’s thoughts on older Honda CVR’s? Third generation 07-11.

Have a chance to possibly pick one up for almost nothing within the year. This would be a third car used for our kids who won’t be driving for a few years though and we don’t need a third vehicle now. Any issues with having a vehicle of this age sit and only be driven VERY infrequently for a few years?
    I may be being cheap here but a basically free vehicle with a known history is hard to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    http://driving.ca/nissan/micra/auto-...cars-in-canada

I technically never made it out of Highschool but it still only took me like 30 seconds

probably even cheaper in the excited states eh?

if he is that outdoorsy a used 4x4 ford Ranger is a great idea and very reliable
    You just led me to cars that are no tsold in the U.S., or, in the case of hte Chevy Spark, when sold in the U.S. have an MSRP well over $10k.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Actually, you'd be surprised if you keep expectations in check. Here's a perfectly reliable, very economical vehicle that is brand new, with a good warranty...for $8350.
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=476831255
    The little Mitsus are currently the cheapest new vehicles in the US and can there are gazillions of brand new 2018s under $10K.

As much as it'd be fun for him to get an older VW, Subaru, etc., if he isn't much of a gearhead, then it could be a good way to go for a broke college student who doesn't really care about cars and doesn't want to worry about spending half his semesters wrenching. Pains me to suggest new since I'm a staunch advocate of the TGR obligatory 6MT AWD diesel wagon unicorn, but I'll make an exception in this case. Sure, he'd get tons of Portland street cred if he rocking a VW Westfalia or Subaru Brat, but going the vintage route probably wouldn't be the best choice for the reasons you stated. Good luck!
    That ad was a bait and switch. The fine print says you can only come close to that price when you use Mitsubishi financing, apply loyalty and military rebates, and doesn't include a $900 "dealer fee."

Sure, I believe that with enough work I'd find a $10k new car, but it would take a lot of work, and it would be a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Well I guess choosing and buying one for him will help build this skillset.

WTF is with parents these days?

Are you aware that some people treat life as something other than an opportunity for yet another lesson? That some people, including parents, just do nice things for each other? You probably are totally unaware that some colleges actually provide really rigorous learning environments, environments that constantly challenge the students to absorb new knowledge, challenge their own assumptions, explore beyond the limits of their existing experiences, and that adding on "gearhead 101" would actually dilute the learning process rather than strengthening it. Right now I want my son learning complex critical reasoning processes and building professional level communication and relationship skills rather than how to figure out whether an alternator is about to shit the bed. If he would prefer to learn about cars, he's quite aware that he can choose to do that instead, but so far he's chosen how to think over how to evaluate mechanical devices.

Buy him an SX4. Cheap, AWD, 4 door, hatch, good mpg, reliable (but parts may be harder to find). Box on top and he’s unstoppable especially with a MT. Overlooked great rig.

Quick search shows this one in Seattle area

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=SX4

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That ad was a bait and switch. The fine print says you can only come close to that price when you use Mitsubishi financing, apply loyalty and military rebates, and doesn't include a $900 "dealer fee."

Sure, I believe that with enough work I'd find a $10k new car, but it would take a lot of work, and it would be a POS.
    Good catch. However, I've had great luck working with dealers and their loss leader ads. They're usually specific to ONE car on the lot with a specific VIN. I'd come in with the ad, and say I want THIS car and this price. Of course they'd say that the one in the ad is sold already. So I'd just let them know that I want a similar one at not a penny more than the advertised price and would buy the car right then and there with no fuss, no muss if they'd honor the price in the ad. I'd end up with a nicer car with extra options at the advertised price. It's really not that difficult. Come on, bro. You're a lawyer by trade, right? I would think that you would absolutely CRUSH it when it comes to the art of negotiating with car dealers. Personally, I'm one of the rare oddballs that enjoys the "dance." One of the best tools at your disposal is paying for a vehicle report (like from Consumer Reports) before you roll in. It states both the so-called "invoice price" as well as the much more accurate "true dealer cost." When they tell me they'd be losing money on the vehicle, I'd be like "nuh-uh" and bust out the report. Plus, they'll always take a hit on a few vehicles if it means the difference between them getting their monthly franchise bonus from the manufacturer or not, which typically amounts to tens of thousands of dollars. Actually, with February being a short month they only have 2 days left to hit their quotas so act fast! February has always proven to be a GREAT month to buy a new car due to that fact.

CR-V, Rav4 or old Jeep w/ 4.0L inline 6

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    V6 outback
    the what? Subie 6 cylinder engines are horizontally opposed, aka flat

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Buy him an SX4. Cheap, AWD, 4 door, hatch, good mpg, reliable (but parts may be harder to find). Box on top and he’s unstoppable especially with a MT. Overlooked great rig.

Quick search shows this one in Seattle area

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=SX4

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This may be the best option mentioned so far.