Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yet Another What Car should I Buy

One of my kids needs a car, and I'm thinking about buying him one. I'm looking for the right mix of practical and fun, not going excessively in either direction.

Here are the general constraints, needs, factors I'm considering: He lives in Portland, so mostly urban driving, and I certainly don't want him to have something with high appeal to car thieves. He's an outdoorsman, skiing, backpacking, rock climbing, flyfishing, carcamping, so I think 4WD or AWD are called for. He's a brokeass college student, so decent MPGs (I found a nice local Toyota 4Runner, but 16-18mpgs would prevent him from keeping the tank full). He needs enough room to take 2 or 3 buddies backpacking or skiing, but it doesn't need to be in luxury, and roofracks will be his friend. I'm sure he will road trip the hell out of this car, but it does NOT need to be fast, people his age have time to drive 70 rather than 90. And it needs to cost well under $10k (I'd really like around $5k and then spend a couple more with my mechanic on ensuring reliability). He likes SUV's, and he's a big fan of the Subrau Forester. But in spudland, Subarus demand a ridiculous premium, I think everyone is trying to show solidarity with lesbians.

Some of the ideas I've been toying with: saw an ad for '03 4runner, but the MPG sucks. On the cheaper end (super cheap, in fact), I've run across some nice-looking older Mitsubishi Monteros, but I don't know anything about whether the Mitsubishi engine has much life past 150-200k miles. But there's a big list of small SUVs out there (CR-V, RAV4, Pathfinder, Santa Fe, etc.), are there any in that category that are particularly reliable? Any sleepers in the category that tned to be good deals?
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Subaru.

Pathfinder or Infiniti QX4. Both have good engines and utilize the same Attesa AWD system from a Skyline. They boosted the hp at some point 01 I believe. Better headlight too.

Of course Lexus and Toyota are good decisions but bring more money.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Come on, man, I'll take anything you've got in inventory for $8k.

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    Come on, man, I'll take anything you've got in inventory for $8k.
    Heh... OEM Headers, Cats and mufflers to a Mercedes Benz SLR?

Give him your car and buy my Tesla Model X.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Why not let him buy his own vehicle?

Fucking kids these days...

The red one! Buy the red one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Heh... OEM Headers, Cats and mufflers to a Mercedes Benz SLR?

Give him your car and buy my Tesla Model X.
    My car's a piece of shit. In a moment of weakness, I gave in to Jeep disease and bought a Liberty (it was pretty cheap, looked good, and god do I love Jeeps, but I might as well have just burned my downpayment). Giving him that wouldn't be a favor.

good tip on the Pathfinders, local search shows very reasonable prices compared to similar Toys and Subs.
    edit: but the Pathfinder MPGs suck.

AWD Toyota Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Subaru.
    sadly be careful of the infotainment centre
    My new OB Touring has had problems from day one.
    Had an update done and it's better but ever since they started using harman kardon it's been hit a miss.

Love it all the same. The 3.6 is the way to go for fun factor.

I leased mine and i'm waiting for the 2020 or 2021 model to see if it will be worth changing. Most likely will seeing how my wife's new Impreza platform is a huge difference in rigidity and how smooth it rides makes me believe the revamped OB will be a game changer

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Why not let him buy his own vehicle?

Fucking kids these days...

this^^ or lend him the money,

My kid wanted to borrow $$$ he told me he needed a car to get to his uni coop job cuz it was out of town so no buses go there, so I lent him the 5K his step dad helped him buy a very uncool slush box sunfire.

Junior paid me back completely in 2 large instalments and kept driving that uncool car for a number of years after uni
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

FWIW a Subaru salesman told me this is the last run for the V6 outback. Next model will have an upgrade to a turbo 4 instead

Yet Another What Car should I Buy

Look into used Hyundai SantaFe or Tucson. AWD, reasonable mpg compared to the heavier 4x4 SUV, not too expensive to repair. The Tucson is a little small inside but is a little cheaper. Neither are inspiring to drive, but between mpg, price, and excitement - pick 2, eh?

Chrysler? I thought you were a Honda guy?

Kia Sportage

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    this^^ or lend him the money,

My kid wanted to borrow $$$ he told me he needed a car to get to his uni coop job cuz it was out of town so no buses go there, so I lent him the 5K his step dad helped him buy a very uncool slush box sunfire.

Junior paid me back completely in 2 large instalments and kept driving that uncool car for a number of years after uni
    He doesn't realy have the skillset to choose a car yet. Yes, he has led a sheltered life ,but that's largely because he grew up in a place where he almost never needed a car, so he and his buddies never became gearheads. They could strip and re-build a bicycle like a Movistar mechanic. As to lending him the money, the kid's got enough debt from going to college, and he's already working his ass off at what has turned out to be a pretty demanding undergrad programs. I can afford to do this for him, so can't think of a really good reason I shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Kia Sportage
    Why? I've ridden in one of those, years ago, and it seemed pretty decent. Engines any good? Will suspension and steering hold up over the long haul?

Another vote for Toyota matrix. Or Pontiac vibe, it's a matrix with less resale value
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post

Chrysler? I thought you were a Honda guy?
    The Honda was totally a "dad" car. It was a good choice for a family truckster. Or, at least, it would have been if I'd kept better rubber on it. Leson learned. But now the kids are getting older, and priorities have changed. Also, I'm a jeep guy, not a Chrysler guy. Probably why I hate the Liberty, drool over Grand Wagoneers, and covet the CJ-5 my neighbor keeps in his garage.

Kia and Hyundai are from the same factories. I prefer the trim on the Hyundai and feel the build quality is better, but the components are basically the same between the 2.

If it is for 4 people or under -> plenty of room in a Honda Element w/racks. 2 or under, and you have part time #vanlife.

AWD not as good as Nissan/Infinti, but will get the job done. 2" receiver hitch is available for ~$150, and goes on in 45 mins. Most gear (including bikes) can stay safely inside vehicle at trailheads*.

Will not be fast, and MPG is mediocre, but better than Toyota/Nissan alternatives. Perfect!

Good luck,
    Paul

* Subject to same Window break-in trailheads as all vehicles.

Take a primary reason being getting around Portland off your list. There is plenty of public transport and biking options to get a college student around.

last time i was pricing used awd cars there were a shit ton of nissan rogues for cheap. never been in one and got an a4 anyway though.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Pathfinder, third gen 4runner (95-02), Honda Toaster aka Element, third gen rav4 (05-12) are all worth consideration.

The non-mechanically inclined should steer clear of old subarus.

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    Take a primary reason being getting around Portland off your list. There is plenty of public transport and biking options to get a college student around.
    True, but the public transit options take at least twice as long, and biking three times as long. He has spent the last 9 months back and forth between Brooklyn and L&C and it's a bigger PITA than you might expect.

Several folks have mentioned the Honda Element, they're a little pricey for age and mileage. But one of the things I'm taking into consideration is that on vehicles with well over 100k miles, I might end up replacing the timing belt. The Element has a chain, so no scheduled replacment interval. Is there ever a mileage level at which even a chain should be replaced?