Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Vaguely relevant
    Attachment 225930
    Education is off to the left of sociology.

Algebra education as a civil rights issue: http://www.algebra.org/

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/07/ed...-students.html

Rigor please!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Rigor please!
    [/end thread]
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    all STEM faculty to better understand the logic and motives of postmodern science anarchists before they become ingrained into positions of power in modern academia."
    That is probably the most desperately important priority for the future of progressive, rational, liberal, democratic societies. But I think it may already be too late as the cancer has bloodflow and is irreversibly metastasizing. The seeds of self-destruction are past sprouting. Death will not come quickly, but it will come.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...s-racial-gap-/

Patrick Bergeron. Vonnegut is back

There is a tremendous, unwarranted, unfair, unjust basketball gap that exists between whites and blacks, much to the disadvantage of the former. Simple elementary social justice requires that this divergence be closed as soon as possible; sooner than that if at all feasible. This is a situation that cries out to the heavens for redress.

What are the facts of the matter? First, and most damning, around three quarters of the players in the National Basketball Association are black. This demographic comprises only 13 percent of the overall population. Why pick on the NBA to illustrate this socially unjust gap? Because their players are simply the best on the planet. Whenever a team chosen from their rosters play the best of the rest of the world, as in the Olympics, the others typically play only for the silver medal.

But that is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Even within the NBA, the selection of the very best athletes tilts even more in favor of the black population. Consider the recently conducted All-Star game where 27 of the very best of the best, including LeBron James, Stephen Curry, and Kevin Durant met each other face to face. Of these 27 players, only four were white. Four, only 15 percent. The proportion skews even more heavily if the most valuable players of all the All-Star games are taken into account.

MVPs and numbers are similar for college and high school teams. A brief perusal of March Madness, in which the best college basketball teams in the nation contend against one another, finds that the overwhelming proportion of players are black, despite comprising a mere 13 percent of the overall undergraduate population. This phenomenon reaches all the way down to the high school level. It turns out that there too, African Americans dominate this sport.

What causes this disparity? First, white men can’t jump, and vertical elevation is important not only in blocking and rebounding, but also in the ability to make a shot unimpeded. White men can’t run either, as is well documented in races anywhere from sprints of 60 and 100 meters all the way up to the marathon; it is difficult to overstate the importance of pure speed in basketball.

What should be done about this astronomical disparity? Why, affirmative action of course. The first step, if we want an NBA that “looks like America” would be to fire all black players above the 13 percent level. But that will only partially attain our goals of equity, for the best players will still be African or African American.

Here’s another possibility for leveling the playing field. For those of you who have not been Rip Van Winkling it for a number of decades, you know that a basket behind the line is now worth three points, while layups and short-range jumpers score only two. Well, let us keep that rule in place; but make it four/three for whites! That is, if a white player hits a three-point shot, his team is credited with four points, and for a shorter score, he is awarded with three points. If this does not yield our cherished “equity” we can always bump this up to five/four for whites, while leaving scoring at three/two for blacks.If you think that’s not fair, you miss the point: it’s equitable.

A third possible rule change: If a white player just hits the rim, he gets two points; if he can hit the backboard, one point. Black athletes will get nothing for misses like that.

What about the “airball” that hits nothing whatsoever? A half a point for whites! What could be fairer than that? Surely the admissions department at Harvard would salute this minor rule modification.

But there are still more things we can do. Summer basketball camps for blacks should be forbidden, and subsidies given to whites who attend in their place. Let African Americans take swimming lessons instead; for the disparity in the pool is even more horrendous than that on the basketball court.

It is past time that this sport got woke; it needs a good dose of equity. It is insufficient that players take knees, wear special uniforms promoting social justice, and that stadiums ostensibly support the Black Lives Matter movement. If the goals of “diversity and inclusion” are to be attained, the modest proposals suggested herein should be implemented forthwith.
    . . .

So stupid.

I feel like I have a pretty good perspective on this. My last job was helping create a data science program at an elite liberal arts college and in my current one I'm in charge of starting one at a state school with a lot of poor, first gen, and minority students.

I don't see anything inherently racist in rigor, but it often helps further racist processes, especially when there is a limited number of slots. Programs are set up to get students to a certain place in a certain time, and it's a lot easier if they don't have as far to go. Students coming out of better high schools are often much further along and so it's much easier to get them to an acceptable level of mastery. Given the history of this country, where you went to high school isn't uncorrelated with race and other socioeconomic factors.

So what a lot of programs do is basically start at Step 2 with the intro course. The students who are well prepared do ok, those that aren't wash out. The programs tell themselves that they are selecting on who as talent, but innate talent is a minority of it. Could the students who didn't continue after the first class have succeeded there had they had a lower level intro before that? A lot of them may have! But it's more work to offer that class and doesn't solve the issue of excess demand at higher levels like letting a lot of students wash out in the 101 does, so schools/profs don't have an incentive to do it.

So it's not the rigor itself that is racist/classist. It's the design of the program that essentially selects on prior preparation and it's correlation with everything else in society under the guise of rigor.

The NBA is a poor comparison because of 1. The comparative obvious of physical vs. mental tools and the ease of self-developing the physical skills 2. The ubiquitousness/distribution of decent basketball development programs.

In recent news, more on point with this thread, I keep hearing about school systems discontinuing advanced math and science.

The nba post was clearly humor.

But also, the idea that individual achievement is on the individual. Let them succeed.

Blacks are good at sportsball. Yay for them.

Asians crush math and science. Yay also.

Not too many Asians in the nba.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    In recent news, more on point with this thread, I keep hearing about school systems discontinuing advanced math and science.

The nba post was clearly humor.

But also, the idea that individual achievement is on the individual. Let them succeed.

Blacks are good at sportsball. Yay for them.

Asians crush math and science. Yay also.

Not too many Asians in the nba.
    My last job was at a school that essentially survived on Asian international student tuition. They were generally better drilled than their domestic peers in math when they got there. Were they inherently talented at it...I'm not so sure based on my limited sample. Ha. Some certainly were, but others were very much benefiting from having had a strong educational focus on it earlier in their academic careers.

Surviving on Asian international tuition isn’t an exclusive club. It somewhat describes the big10, among many other schools including I think my alma mater. Education has been one of the larger export products of the us in recent years.

it’s funny cuz my school was supposedly known for rigor, or at least that was the bullshit told, and nobody gave a fuck. Just means yer a cog w/o anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    So stupid.
    What could possibly make someone believe that piece was worth sharing? And then search for a thread to post it in? The mind, it boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    What could possibly make someone believe that piece was worth sharing? And then search for a thread to post it in? The mind, it boggles.
    Hi ötzi, I see you must be new here. Welcome to the TRGs! I would like to introduce you to Core Shot.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I applaud your ümlaut.

What a silly article. Does the author not even realize the NBA All-star players are chosen by popular vote of the fans and not on merit?

Foolish author should know what he's talking about before making poor analogies.

Indubitably.

Damn, just dawned on me who started this whole kerfuffle!

Name:  Gilfoyle-Not.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  Gilfoyle.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  52.5 KB