Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thing is the new bolt pattern is 114.3x5 so older wheels won't work

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Thing is the new bolt pattern is 114.3x5 so older wheels won't work
    2015 and newer WRX rims are the same.
    Otherwise hub centric rings is the way to go with other OEM wheels from honda or mazda as an example if you don't like the limited selection of 5x114.3 et55 56.1mm aftermarket rims.

^ nice looks like between mazdas and hondas I have a good selection of ~et50 rims. I'm used to mounting over sized hubs without hub rings anyways.

2004 sti wheels are expensive because they are the only year of 5x100 sti bbs wheels. The later ones are cheaper. Like, I'm looking at a set of 18" BBS STI wheels from an 08-14 right now, with tires and tpms sensors, for $680 on a facebook group. Located in seattle btw

For reference:
    1990-2014 Legacy/outback: 5x100
    1993- present Impreza: 5x100
    1998 - present forester: 5x100
    2005+ STI: 5x114.3
    2015+ WRX: 5x114.3
    2015+ Legacy/outback: 5x114.3
    Tribeca: 5x114.3
    SVX: 5x114.3

What a clusterfuck.

School me on outbacks

2006 OBXT 5MT. 256,000 original owner miles here. Original turbo. Burns a quart of oil between oil changes, has since 70k. All wyoming, Utah, Colorado miles. Starting to rust a bit but I’ve never waxed it, work at a salt mine and only wash it when I cannot see through the windows. Have had to replace every door handle, 1 O2 sensor, all four coils and 1 other sensor. 3 cv boots (I subscribe to the exhaust temps taking out the passenger side every 60-100k).

Never had a misfire except when I had the coil packs go - corroded, hit ice off a 18wheeler on I80 and ripped skid plate off, salt eventually did the coils in two years ago.

Smoked a small pronghorn at 60mph dead center of front bumper. Small scratch.

All maintenance done by myself except clutch at 170k. Didn’t need a clutch, but plastic throw out bearing finally went, mechanic said I had plenty of life left.

I have experienced the ghost walk. It sucks. It’s scary. OBXTs have a bastardized suspension in my opinion. I will not take my kids on icy roads with it.

Anyone who wants to understand the issues around the 2.5 turbo read up on legacygt.dotcom.

I checked my banjo bolts at 150k. 1 small chunk of metal.

Key to these engines I believe is sticking to 3k oil changes and checking your oil often.

Dam spark plugs take longer to change than the timing belt but should be changed every 30k.
    Last edited by wapiti hunter; 04-25-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    ^ nice looks like between mazdas and hondas I have a good selection of ~et50 rims. I'm used to mounting over sized hubs without hub rings anyways.
    Check out https://www.wheel-size.com
    You have more options.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti hunter View Post
    Dam spark plugs take longer to change than the timing belt but should be changed every 30k.
    Tip for anyone changing spark plugs on a Sube: either get locking sockets, or duct tape your spark plug socket to the socket extension. If you lose the socket down in the spark plug tube (which pretty much will happen if you don't heed this tip), it really will take longer than a timing belt change.

This is my spark plug socket

The thing with foresters and outbacks is that the crossmember, and therefore engine, is spaced down relative to the chassis rails. making the spark plugs harder to access compared to a standard wrx or whatever. Pull off the pitch stop, undo the motor mounts (two easily accessible bolts), and lift the engine up a bit to save yourself a much bigger hassle. Note- this only applies to the DOHC engines (turbo, h6, new FB20/25). With an sohc the spark plugs are easy to access as they come in at an angle from the top.
    Last edited by jamal; 04-29-2018 at 03:34 PM.

School me on outbacks

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Tip for anyone changing spark plugs on a Sube: either get locking sockets, or duct tape your spark plug socket to the socket extension. If you lose the socket down in the spark plug tube (which pretty much will happen if you don't heed this tip), it really will take longer than a timing belt change.
    WAY over thinking it, there.

All you need is a 9” piece of vacuum or fuel hose. Push it over the plug terminal and pull them right out.
    Also works great for starting the new plug in the hole.

Damn, wrong quote... I thought you lost the plug, not the socket. Never had that problem.
    But your magnet tool wouldn’t pull the socket? Big fat magnet on the extension will pull about anything.
    Last edited by powdrhound; 04-29-2018 at 07:42 PM.

School me on outbacks

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Yup. Did that a few times then busted out the tape.

Also x2 come from below with car up on ramp rather than from above.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    But your magnet tool wouldn’t pull the socket? Big fat magnet on the extension will pull about anything.
    Issue is it happening when it’s still attached to a plug that is partially or completely threaded in.

I have a hard time visualizing why it's hard to get the extension back on, but they make locking extensions

School me on outbacks

Read the spark plug thread on legacygt. Your talking 1.5-2.5hours to change 4 plugs. Shit you not. It’s not horrible and not a show stopper but if it was a complete snap it wouldn’t be a 56 page 837 post thread...

The last tip given latest in the thread is a good one - don’t use a spark plug socket as the final socket.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-12070p56.html