best insulated hydration tube/mouthpiece?

i have an insulated tube, but it freezes regularly. i blow the water back in the bag after i'm done drinking but sometimes it doesn't help. i haven't had a decent mouthpiece/insulated cover ever, really. i thought about trying a hydration vest or something, but don't like the idea of having it under my backpack or having it inside my outerwear if it breaks for some reason.

My system has moved around a lot over the years. Right now, I'm using a skimo botle holder on my pack strap with a 16 oz insulated hydroflask with a quick lid. For a longer day I keep another 20 oz hydroflask in my bag for refills. The vacuum bottles a dd a bit of weight, but seem way more foolproof than any bladder system. On warmer days I'll forego the insulated bottle and use a soft flask.

For XC I use a hydration pack under my wool sweater (and shell if wind or precip is a factor). Only way to keep the tube and mouthpiece from freezing even with blowing back IME. Never had an issue with leakage or breaking from a tumble.
    For more downhill orientated stuff, I just have a bottle in the pack, and stop to get it out and drink. I suppose I could do lift served as I do XC, but backcountry requires a larger pack with gear so under a layer is not an option.

I've found that using a mouthpiece with a valve you can lock really helps. With the regular valve it seems like you can blow the water back up the tube all you want, it tends to come back (probably from pressure on the bladder and gravity) and freeze in the tube/mouthpiece.
    The camelback lockable valves seems to be reasonably airtight and keep the water out of the mouthpiece/tube once you blow it back. These days I just hold the tube up, pinch the mouthpiece to let the water fall all the way back in the bladder, then lock the valve. I haven't had any issues with freezing. I also run an insulated tube inside the shoulder strap of the BCA pack.

On cold days, anything below 20* or so, I never use the right angle type locking things, and blow back the water and use the soft camelback mouthpiece basically as a plug.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I had great results with an osprey bladder, camel pack tube insulator run up in the strap of a Dakine 12L heli pack that I found perfect for resort skiing.
    Training for Alpental

I've struggled with the same issue. For inbounds skiing I rigged up a soft flask with a tube and mouthpiece which I keep in an inside front pocket of my jacket. BC I just use water bottles in the pack. I'm curious about this product but its pretty expensive: https://www.arcticinnovations.com/

An insulated hose running inside the strap/sleeve of a Black Diamond pack works for me, most of the time. If it's under 10 degrees or so, I have to drink a little every other lift ride to keep it from freezing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have a smaller Camelbak (only holds the bladder and has a small pocket large enough for keys and wallet) and wear it under my jacket. It has never frozen or ruptured and I’ve worn it on -20F days.

My DIY solution is an Platypus insulated tube cover (pretty thick) and the mouth piece cover from a Source insulated tube system. Did cut off the zippered Source mouth piece cover and glued it to the Platypus tube cover. Absolutely no freeze issue. Even used it while snowmobiling at 23 degrees below zero (Celsius)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	226739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	226740

I remove my back pack and open my insulated thermos to drink water. Especially on cold days, I feel little needs for the tube and mouth piece. I like it for bike rides, when I can get some water w/o stoping. But have not used one for several years skiing and find I prefer just taking off my pack on the lift to drink. Makes getting the beer out easier as well.

Best solution I found was start off the day with warm 80 or higher Fwater in the hydration pack. And blow back. Still won't work substantially below freezing.

thanks for the feedback. i have
    to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by AngstWerk View Post
    My DIY solution is an Platypus insulated tube cover (pretty thick) and the mouth piece cover from a Source insulated tube system. Did cut off the zippered Source mouth piece cover and glued it to the Platypus tube cover. Absolutely no freeze issue. Even used it while snowmobiling at 23 degrees below zero (Celsius)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	226739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	226740
    seriously! why didn't i think of that? other than the lazy, infirm brain, i mean. i like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I remove my back pack and open my insulated thermos to drink water. Especially on cold days, I feel little needs for the tube and mouth piece. I like it for bike rides, when I can get some water w/o stoping. But have not used one for several years skiing and find I prefer just taking off my pack on the lift to drink. Makes getting the beer out easier as well.
    i drink a lot and the simpler it is and the fewer things i have to fuck up, leave open, drop, etc. the better. sad but true. a good day is not having to open my pack except at lunch.