Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

A variety of factors led to me getting out of the house later than intended. Combined with crap trail conditions (i was overly optimistic...) and some intestinal distress meant I just screwed around on some rocks vs. driving more to get to non-crap condition trail.

Note to self; get up earlier tomorrow, drive south.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

You could go just a little bit east also. I'm hearing that Waldo is dry and good to go. Or... apparently they're done grooming for the season (last snowcat run was Saturday morning) at the xc ski winter park at Fahnestock so the packed trails are open to us for fat bikes now. It should get just cold enough tonight to firm things back up so I think I'm gonna hit an early ride there in the morning. It may be the last good snow ride of the season locally. I drove through there today and there's still a foot or more on everything but southern exposures where it's mostly torched.

Debating about a long road/dirt ride out towards Adams, or heading down to the cape for some mtb. If the rain coming isn't much then the cape should be good.

Build yer base. Ride gravel and pavement. Don’t push it and try to ride MTB in March.
    What gives? Riding MTB in March? Are you fucking kidding me? Go skiing or buy a road squid.
    Go on Now
    crab in my shoe mouth

March can work in some spots with a less snowier winter, thankfully not a problem we found this year!

Been looking at 50 basement miles a week lately, really excited to get outside soon...

When I lived in Boston, mountain bike season usually started by mid-late March. Some light snow years, we rode straight through the winter.

I've been gravel grinding and getting the legs back but its no substitute for trail riding.

I was able to ride out the door until Dec. 12 last fall. The frost came out in a lot of areas before the Nor'Easters hit, still a lot of snow around so likely not riding trail until mid-late April around here, which is ok, plenty of summer on the way. Adding more Stans this morning, very excite!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Build yer base. Ride gravel and pavement. Don’t push it and try to ride MTB in March.
    What gives? Riding MTB in March? Are you fucking kidding me? Go skiing or buy a road squid.
    Go on Now
    What those guys said. Some Marches have been fine, some not. There are several spots near me that are good to go already, I just picked the wrong spot yesterday. A bit more drive time and I'd have been good.

Plus, I figured with it being so early season and all, I'd be less likely to run into some asshole "sharing" music from a bike-mounted speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Adding more Stans this morning, very excite!
    I've been using the wife's rowing machine - finding it actually much preferable to the bike on the trainer.

Topping up all the tires with Stan's today sounds like a good diversion.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    What those guys said. Some Marches have been fine, some not. There are several spots near me that are good to go already, I just picked the wrong spot yesterday. A bit more drive time and I'd have been good.

Plus, I figured with it being so early season and all, I'd be less likely to run into some asshole "sharing" music from a bike-mounted speaker.
    Settle down, Francis.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Settle down, Francis.
    Settle down, Beavis.

OR

Lighten up, Francis.

Get it straight man, it's not rocket surgery!

Well played.

I’ll wait in the car.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Anyhow. Back to business.

Much more of my local daily driver stuff ought to be good to go by this weekend/early next week. Of which I have a five day stretch off. Nice. Riding and getting the garden/yard shit going will be the order of the days. I know I could drive a bit more to get to some stuff now, but am loath to drive more for still somewhat iffy conditions.

Settle down, Beavis.

OR

Lighten up, Francis.

Get it straight man, it's not rocket surgery!
    or rocket appliances

Anyhow. Back to business.

... but am loath to drive more for still somewhat iffy conditions.
    Like I said, head to Waldo. Not far at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Like I said, head to Waldo. Not far at all.
    I know, but by the time I was done yesterday...after stopping at the new Broken Symmetry Brewpub, further riding was not happening. And today I had house shit to do.

It's about half snow and half dirt now on the coast...and my dog had 4 deer ticks today. Wtf

Seems like a couple of days of relative warmth melted most places around here out and dried them up pretty quickly. Today looks good for a ride but another 3-5" tonight/tomorrow and a few days of rain this week won't help it stay that way.

On another note, just in case you hadn't heard, Unior Tools is making a strong push into the US and is stocking a nice selection of their bike tools now. They're shipping out of a warehouse in upstate NY so most everyone here is only a day or two out. www.uniorusa.com

18 NE - Go on, ride when it's wet

Rode Wompatuck yesterday and Russel Mills this morning down around Boston. No mud, no snow, just a bit of down fall. Amazing how fast it dries out down here.

Back up to VT to wait out the melt and mud. Looks like gravel grinding in between rain this week.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by HankScorpio; 04-01-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Seems like a couple of days of relative warmth melted most places around here out and dried them up pretty quickly. Today looks good for a ride but another 3-5" tonight/tomorrow and a few days of rain this week won't help it stay that way.

On another note, just in case you hadn't heard, Unior Tools is making a strong push into the US and is stocking a nice selection of their bike tools now. They're shipping out of a warehouse in upstate NY so most everyone here is only a day or two out. www.uniorusa.com
    R u rep'in their stuff? How's their little stand? I've been using a makeshift one for too long now.

Yup. Currently the only rep in the US

The Gator? It's sufficient. I haven't spent any time using it other than fiddling around with it in the office. It seems that the clamp will hold pretty much any bike securely and it's balanced well enough that I don't think it will tip over unless you're being a moron. The tool tray should hold a beer pretty well so there is that

Yup. Currently the only rep in the US

The Gator? It's sufficient. I haven't spent any time using it other than fiddling around with it in the office. It seems that the clamp will hold pretty much any bike securely and it's balanced well enough that I don't think it will tip over unless you're being a moron. The tool tray should hold a beer pretty well so there is that
    Right on!

Rode and cleaned today. Super casual...brought beers...exactly 3.15 hrs in the woods.
    Last edited by jackstraw; 04-02-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Or, like 3:15 elapsed with a blazing avg of 3.8 for the monstrous vertical gain of 250 feet.

Take more laps
    crab in my shoe mouth

Or, like 3:15 elapsed with a blazing avg of 3.8 for the monstrous vertical gain of 250 feet.

Take more laps
    Ha!

How was you 28 minute walk of 1.7? Epic?

lapper kook

edit - it was 243 vert, not 250. Somehow I managed 29.8mph on the fat tires...that is not accurate. I cannot see elapsed time anymore. All I know is my wife was wondering where the hell I was coming home just in time to shower and get to easter dinner.

And Buttah, maybe I'll bring my bud I rode with over to OL or stuperstar and school you on how to ski bumps. Exprobro
    Last edited by jackstraw; 04-02-2018 at 07:44 AM.

And another ~7" to add to the general sogginess that is spring around here