Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    GMT, yeah it rules.
    Don’t park where that map starts. Park down the road at the other parking spot. Bridge is out at the first spot.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Not sure what I was thinking/smoking/drinking when I set my alarm for 4:30 to bang out 23 miles in Stowe but it was worth it. 3 hours and 2700 vert later I’m totally gassed and will prob be asleep after this can of Foley Bros.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1988.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	236380

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by HankScorpio; 05-21-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Thinking it would be fun? ^^

Speaking of GMT, I decided to head there for some spinning as the cross bike needs the rear tire changed over. I love the big ring climb to the top, 2 miles of Noodling, then another two of Stonewall-Green with a number of stand up and grind intervals.
    Pushing out the last punch to the hut and heard my name called out. Who but the ever fun to hang with TBatt and crew from the 'toga area.

Name:	20180519_122753.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	954.1 KB 
ID:	236405

They started at the wrong farm and after a river walk climbed a less than fun route. Asked if I would lead so off we went for the Labyrinth > Zeebeedo> Fusters > Escalator > Noodles flick fest. Loads of fun at a great venue. 13 miles 1950' vert.
    We hung at the town gazebo for post ride chow and beers, also to stay dry as it sprinkled the last 1/2 hour of the ride which turned to full on rain.

Name:	20180519_142550.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	867.5 KB 
ID:	236408

The trails aren't leaf blown and there is a single track now along the miles of excavator benched trail with the rest growing ferns and tree sprouts. I have never seen so much leaf litter collected on my bike.

Name:	20180519_140423.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	236407

I am going to ride here once a week after work for the next month or so as it is the best place around to grind nonstop for 2+ hours in a big gear and only 40 minutes away.
    If you live close and haven't been here, what's wrong with you?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The ride was all kinds of fun but the inebriated yet ambitious dawn patrol plan made for a rocky wake up. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.

GMT is a hell of a trail network. I overlook it too often even though it’s a easy drive to get there. I snagged a great ride there early last December when they were the only open trails around. I’ll prob schlep down there next weekend with general store sammies to follow.

GMT rocks. The 1000’ vert climb pedals nicely and before you know it you top out to the cabin. The downhill is a blast.

Am I going to regret having a Pivot Firebird for the climb or two? (monster truck 29-er)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Heck yeah. Or we can Enduro across Woodstock- 2 spots right here in town, both worthy destinations. Plus Worthy. See what I did there?
    Yes and I'm very impressed...sounds good except now I'm thirsty and hungry.

For me GMT sets the standard for uphill travel. The berms are so nicely laid out and graded.

There is new parking rules: Parking at Amee Farm and top of Tweed only. Riverside Parking now closed 24/7. Roadside parking prohibited!

The e-mail said parking at the Town Green was an option as well. Truck in the shade and store close for a sammy, like todays Crispy chicken bacon ranch w/ lto. Amee sucks as there is no bridge and full sun, Green parking spoils the best flowing route to ride.
    I hear rte100 is teh suck between Wtby/Stowe with the rebuild?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I prefer the way Ascutney rides in both directions, GMT is sick, but STAB is way more interesting.

Go on now
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I hear rte100 is teh suck between Wtby/Stowe with the rebuild?
    It’s awful. Very course gravel and (understandbly) traffic grinds to 15 mph crawl for several miles.

STAB vs GMT is a tough call. I find the STAB climbs steeper and harder (not a bad thing). STAB trails also have all kinds of unique and varied geography too.

Stab for the win, also two hours vs. forty minutes for me. Definitely no big ring long climbs at Stab and shorter DH sections than Fusters. Off mountain shit is epically fun as well.

Figured the 100 would be a parking lot.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Perry hill to Barnes Hill...are they putting in utilities along that stretch with the road work? Lack of town water/sewer has kept that stretch somewhat scenic, once the sewer line goes in that piece of road will all look like Rt 108.

Been wanting to get to Ascutney for years. Hate putting the pedal bike on the car for more than 20 minutes. Should have hit GMT while doing the Sherburn work with Brooke, but it's hard to motivate after moving rocks for 6 hours.. So much riding in CVT, we're totally spoiled. Between my local and Montpelier area stuff I never ride elsewhere, and only make it to MAMBA country a couple times.

Solid work folks. Bikes are dope. Here's hoping roads dry out sufficiently by mid afternoon. Otherwise, looks like a nice refresher for the dirt and a great weather week ahead. Cheers!

Edit: is the no Riverside parking a 7 days a week deal or just weekends?

Seems fairly black and white, NO parking.

Revised Parking Rules

It used to be that we could fit all the day’s (and I’m talking about a bluebird hero dirt Saturday in midsummer) rider parking, comfortably in the five car capacity upper lot of the Amee Barn and still have room enough for a fairly substantial elephant parade to boot. Welp, those days are long gone, and when Riverside graciously opened their lot for trail parking after tropical storm Irene, they did not foresee the scene we’ve grown into today. Therein lies the paradox: we are elated to be so well ridden, but regulations prohibit us from parking the number of cars at Riverside we are likely to see this year. So we have no other choice but to close down Riverside parking completely to trail users effective immediately. The remaining options are: Amee Barn, Green Trail/Stonewall trailhead on top of Tweed, and Village Green. Parking along any road is strictly prohibited and could get you towed! When all is said and done, the worst case scenario is just a little bonus pedaling, and that is definitely not worth stressing about. Bottom line: Thank you Riverside for accommodating GMT trail users for the last seven years!
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Got it. Thanks for the cut and paste. Quite reasonable all told.

I'm confused and too lazy to look it up: the parking at the wedding place at the bottom of Tweed is the one that is off limits now correct?

I'm not really sure. ^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post

Hate putting the pedal bike on the car for more than 20 minutes.
    Yeah, I'm the same way. Every once in a while when I do though, it's always been really enjoyable. Need to do it more often.

Did a short ride and some more cleaning yesterday. These kooks are creating short cuts which cuts holes into the circuit just f'n everything up. We are trying like hell to maintain one continuous loop and these idiots are making it a clusterfuck. It's hard enough with the old double tracks mixed in. People are making B-lines around features, which is fine, but cutting off sections of trail is bullshit...Especially since they don't maintain or build out there.

GMT parking is confusing so I'll continue to park at the very top/end of Tweed River Dr.

Last stretch of a new single track put in last year. Just flagged and partially cleared the lower section. It's gonna be sweet. From the top of our network, the single track will drop from just over 2400 to just over 1400 ft. A thousand feet of ripping with basically no pedal strokes. That, plus the 902 vert foot front side DH, and the other single track DH just over 800 vert of pure flow. Shit is getting good in the back yard.

One more line to go in that will drop over 1100 verts and the basic build out I started when I moved here in 2007 will be done. Probably by the end of the year. Stoked on trail work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ponyX2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	236606  

Dave, that's in the Northfield neighborhood? I'll be in VT a few times in June so maybe I can get over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I'm not really sure. ^^
    Agreed. When I saw the FB post I thought to myself...um, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Agreed. When I saw the FB post I thought to myself...um, huh?
    I was being facetious. There is no parking at the Riverside Farm on the south end of town which is next to the covered bridge. Parking is not allowed along the side of Tweed River Drive, though in the past I have done this.You can drive past Riverside Farm on Tweed RD and park at the end of the road lot at the beginning of the green trail. I don't like this as it upsets the flow of my ride being at the midpoint of the climb.
    Parking is allowed at the Amee farm on the north end of town requiring a river walk or asphalt to and back from the trailhead at Riverside. Parking is allowed on the town green which is in the center of town where the gazebo is. This is where I'll park, shade and close to the General Store for a cold one.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Dave, that's in the Northfield neighborhood? I'll be in VT a few times in June so maybe I can get over there.
    Yeah. Small network but growing. Uphill....downhill. 15ish miles 2-3 hours for everything. Hopefully by the end of June another couple miles. Everything new or reclaimed this year will probably add 4 miles. Connecting over to Irish Hill adds another several miles of old school single track and a few miles of remote multi-use trail and some scenic dirt road. That ride ends up being 28-35ish and gets close to 6000 verts if you do it all. We try it once a year. Point to point is a fun 4+ hours, out and back is brutal and goes beyond fun and into WTF country for me. Be happy to give you the 3 hour tour.

The first climb is stout. The first DH is now about twice as long. That plus the climb out adds a couple miles. And the Grand Tour. Work day to buff out the connector trails last half of June with some MAMBA folk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paine Ridge Tour.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	617.9 KB 
ID:	236707  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DaveVt; 05-22-2018 at 05:14 AM.