Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

David Wise’s binding troubles...

Blame Look or the plastic on his Fischer Boots?

Fuck it, cuz he got GOLD FOR USA!!!

Fucking moment for the win though! Congrats you Reno fuckers!!!!!

It's cause he's skiing on next years model of the P18.

And we all know they got recalled recently.

Fucking happy he got gold. Audible hell-yeah for his final run.

Were his Fischer boots Vacuums?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    It's cause he's skiing on next years model of the P18.

And we all know they got recalled recently.
    Any more info on that?

What happened? I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    What happened? I missed it.
    The first two of his three runs, he walked out of one binding on what didn't appear to be a particularly hard or offset hit. Then they showed his tech cranking up the DIN.

Third run was perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Definitely not a good look for Look.

Impressive composure on Wise's part after not really screwing up on the first two runs and just crushing the third one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Any more info on that?
    On the recall? or next years P18?

Next years P18 == new throwback colors.

Recall: http://www.look-bindings.com/en-us/product-recall

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Definitely not a good look for his ski tech. That doesn’t happen to properly adjusted pivots.

Impressive composure on Wise's part after not really screwing up on the first two runs and just crushing the third one.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    FIFY
    I asked a question about this in the olympics thread... i get it happening once- super huge pipe, left/right wall differential, super firm conditions - but twice, when the issue seems like din setting? How!?

I got kind of nervous when I watched that tech setting what I assume to be a P18....just relating the amount of turns I saw happening to my background knowledge of that binding.

Glad he didn't need them to release, because it looked like they were being set to "leg breaker".

^^^^^^^ after a point, I was cringing with every turn of the screwdriver.

Don’t racers use 20-22 din setting binders? I think there is precedent in those high settings. Hopefully someone who actually knows something about this (not me) could tell us fer sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Don’t racers use 20-22 din setting binders? I think there is precedent in those high settings. Hopefully someone who actually knows something about this (not me) could tell us fer sure.
    Yep, they do. Sometimes, at least in racing, it's better for the ski to stay on until a catastrophic crash because an unexpected release can be REALLY bad.

I think the most I ever skied at was maybe 15? when I weight 180+ at 5'11.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I had some DIN 24 Markers that supposedly went down to 12. I set them at 12 once and tried to do a torque test and could not get them to release. I couldn't get them to produce elastic travel, I had my coworker stand on the ski on a carpeted floor while I kicked the shit out of the toe and couldn't get them to move.

I tore my knee going otb in moguls at din 17 on some Salomon greensprings, actually released from din 17 and tore the afd. That was 12/7/98 and I remember the entire setup like it happened an hour ago.

For those of you who remember my skiing in Utah, and know me irl...I'm a big man and used to ski pretty fast and hard, and all that was at din 11ish toes and 13ish heels max...from after all those high din days of misspent youth. I kind of think if you're regularly throwing shoes at 11 on a Look Pivot you're one bad mf.

the craziest thing with the whole high din scene is when somebody really eats it in a DH and rips the topsheet off the ski, or a derbyflex off the ski, before the binding releases. I've seen that a few times, blows my mind.

David Wise’s binding troubles...

^haha, nuts!! Your last comment... that’s the release - tearing the binding out of the ski.

But now you make me feel bad/scared- you sound like a reformed maniac in the best way- I ski at 12-14 (200 lbs 5’7 295 BSL) depending on how I feel like skiing on a given day, on 15 Mojos/peaks, Adrenalins 16 and STH2s. Is that equivalent to a 11 din on Pivots, which I’ve never owned because I’m cheap and not a true maggot.

The only time I’ve had release issues was when I fell off a big / pretty wild box feature at Northstar with an old-school STH Equipe 14 that tested out a couple months prior. That should have released, in lucky I didn’t break my leg, that ended my season. These other ones release at those settings, albeit they’ve probably stayed on 1-2x I wished they didn’t but operator error was in full play- smashing riverbeds causing me to go full inverted airborne for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    the craziest thing with the whole high din scene is when somebody really eats it in a DH and rips the topsheet off the ski, or a derbyflex off the ski, before the binding releases. I've seen that a few times, blows my mind.
    Derbyflex, eh? You just dated yourself, but agreed 100% on the sentiment—especially when you see WC footage of someone eating shit in a DH, breaking the ski off ahead of the toe and behind the heel, and then getting up and sliding to the side on the other ski.

I spent a long time skiing at relatively high DIN settings (bad habit of leaning in == GS skis at 13 at the heel on Drivers to try to reduce walking-out incidents). I've walked out of a 9-16 Driver (ca 1997 generation) set at 15.5 in a Super-G, was then doing 40+ towards a gap in the fence and a snowmaking resupply line, and I don't recommend trying it. I moved a similar pair of Drivers (same age, originally on a different pair of skis) to my Lhasas a number of years ago, ended up with a boot-top fracture after finding a submerged rock, stump or such (ski topped, I went over the bars forward and immediately knew something wasn't right).

But yes, even with a Driver at 13, I had more issues with heel release than I did with Rossi turntables (the originals, Geze toe/Look heel combo from 1995) at 8-9ish. I didn't see the runs, did it look like a toe release or a heel release?

Since then, I've skied all-mountain skis no higher than 8; I've got STHs on those Lhasas now and can kick out if I'm standing on hard snow and have my boots properly buckled. The only times they've come off, I've been glad they have—there's a small chance I might have saved it after hooking a rock last time, but skiing out on the other ski rather than going OTB is probably preferable.

My GS skis are turned all the way down to 10, so I just try to keep the speeds up.

FWIW on the Look/Rossi recall, I bought a new pair of skis and binders in September and had the area Rossi Groupe Dealer Services Rep proactively reach out to me via email in November with details. I thought that was some pretty darn good customer service. Luckily, mine were not part of the recall.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I didn't see the runs, did it look like a toe release or a heel release?
    Heel release. Followed by a shot of the tech putting four full turns into the heel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Dropping in and winning it on run 3 after having binding issues on his first two runs is the kind of thing that separates professionals from mere pros. Nice work Mr. Wise.

Wise wasn't the only guy having issues coming out of their Pivots during the pipe final, something my girlfriend noticed before I did. We thought DIN at first, but having mounted and worked on tons of Pivots I'm not so sure. I'm going with insufficient forward pressure. Don't remember if it was after his first or second run but it looked like he had an issue with a brake being bent forward in such a way that it wouldn't be able to retract fully when he stepped back into the binding. That can be indicative of a few things, but the two that stand out for me are, again, incorrect forward pressure, or a really nose heavy switch landing that engages the heel's vertical elastic travel quite a bit, but not to the point that it releases. As your boot's heel moves up through a Pivot's elastic travel, the brakes can droop and if they droop enough they'll catch, particularly on a switch landing. Then it's over for you for that run. For whatever reason it seems like this happens more often if forward pressure is on the lower side of things. Pivots are great, but you do really need to make sure they're properly adjusted. Forward pressure is critical and yeah, the brakes do kinda suck.

Still, beats being the guy who had a Marker Jester heel blow off his ski...

That was amazing. Unbelievable what they’re able to do. That kiwi kid sent it too. Can’t comment on binding din. They’re just in a whole different universe than I . I go 1/2 turn at a time cautiously. Fine line between releasing at the proper moment and releasing unexpectedly

Do much for the cult-classic pivot-heel Look and Rossi bindings.

That shit is shameful on national TV. The fucking maggots and their rhetoric can’t save a Gold-Medal skier from his turn-table-heel-shit-Cleveland-steamer-swizzle-stick release.

Man up, and get Marker Bindings.

Now, we’re his ducking boots Vacu-Plast Fischer Vacuums or were they a non-moldable model. Somebody on this site knows, and if they don’t this site should shit tre fuck down.

Quote Originally Posted by m5dad0 View Post
    Still, beats being the guy who had a Marker Jester heel blow off his ski...
    Right!?!