Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Smithers? Kitwanga?
    Kitwanga is pretty much just a gas truck stop, I'm in Smithers which is a town of 5000 which has lots of amenities including a ski hill

the gov runs the north west section of the province from here most of which IS seriously the middle of nowhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Grew up just west of triangle number 1 and still spend a lot of time there. I could see easily retiring in the vicinity someday.

I've always liked this heat map of McDonalds in the US.

I try to spend a week each per year in the black zone in the middle of Idaho and then southwest Idaho/northern NV. It's good for perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Kitwanga is pretty much just a gas truck stop, I'm in Smithers which is a town of 5000. . . .

the gov runs the north west section of the province from here most of which IS seriously the middle of nowhere
    knew all of that. We bicycled through Smithers, Kitwanga, etc. and up the Cassiar Hwy on a bicycle trip from Missoula MT to Anchorage AK in 1981. We didn't take the side trip to Cassiar, which was still producing asbestos. Mighty Moe's place was a highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    And I thought Elko was in the middle of nowhere...Hard to believe that there's somewhere more nowhere!
    Oh, but does it feel like nowhere....moreso than the top of any remote NV mountain or valley in my eyes.

The road halfway between Austin NV and Battle Mountain NV classifies as lower 48 middle of nowhere, but it's not a small town thus doesn't qualify

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    She works at the Desert Club? That's cute you call her your girlfriend.
    More like, "Eureka"!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I've posted this before, but http://www.moosevalleyoutfitters.com...ge/7918206.htm live about far as you can from anywhere below 60N in western Canada. Came into the Ft St James forestry office and asked to be directed to a place as far from every proper highway as was possible to establish a homestead. This is almost in the middle of the Alcan/Cassiar Hwy loop in north central BC. Amazing country, even if the Kemess mine did put in a big-ass power line through their homestead.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Elko is definitely somewhere when compared to BM,NV
    Ely NV is a lot more nowhere than either. US 50-loneliest road in America, although anyone heading to the Bay from SLT monday might beg to differ.
    At least Elko has a stuffed polar bear, last I looked.

I'll see your Ely and raise you Tonopah

Denio NV belongs in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Rolled into there during a b/c movie shoot at the bar. Still can't figure it out. Definitely belongs. Think there was a recent murder there in the last month or two. Probably took that long for the word to get out.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Hah! On our XC trip we stopped in the middle of 50 outside of Ely to rest and pose for a picture. We went there just to be there.

Name:  Canyonlands N to Reno 8.2..8.3.12 084.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  218.5 KB
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Elko is definitely somewhere when compared to BM,NV
    I spent some time with a girl in Winnemucca. She said I made a mistake stopping in BM when I drove through the previous few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    She works at the Desert Club? That's cute you call her your girlfriend.
    Ha!

Only been once, but I liked Ely. Hell the entire Hwy 50 through Nevada was pretty fucking nice.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

knew all of that. We bicycled through Smithers, Kitwanga, etc. and up the Cassiar Hwy on a bicycle trip from Missoula MT to Anchorage AK in 1981. We didn't take the side trip to Cassiar, which was still producing asbestos. Mighty Moe's place was a highlight.
    Wow, you met Mighty Moe? Nice one Steve, solid work for an out of towner. You drop that one on a Terracite, instant cred.

I worked in Jade City for a summer, and it shocked me how many people on bicycles would ride past. That's a long way to and from anywhere up there. By comparison, nothing in the lower 48 is even close to remote.

The good thing about Battle Mountain is that it is in the middle of everywhere. You can work at the mines that are out of Elko or Winnemucca, and while you might be a bit farther than people who live in one of those towns, you have access to both. I had dinner last night with two engineers who had both moved twice for work, one started in Winnemucca, moved to Elko, and is now back in Winnemucca. The other did the exact opposite. Both over about a 10 yr period.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    I've been to triangle point number one, in the middle of the Frank Church Wilderness.
    I can't say I've been to the "middle" of the Frank Church, but I've been in lots of it. In any event, it's pretty cool that the two most remote spots in the lower 48 are places I spend a lot of time. Guess I'm even more anti-social than I thought I was.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Eagle plains or I guess Inuvik is about the closest I've been to the middle of nowhere. Metro of over 75000 is a foreign concept.

Yup, some of the places in the 48 barely qualify for nowhere in my book.

We slid off the interstate a couple hundred yards from the exit to Colby, KS years ago. We decided to get off the interstate and spend the night. We went to a couple bars, ended up partying with some local girls, and generally had a good time. I can't imagine living there, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    stole the post from my head.

A man with a shitty vehicle can get feeling nervous out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    We slid off the interstate a couple hundred yards from the exit to Colby, KS years ago. We decided to get off the interstate and spend the night. We went to a couple bars, ended up partying with some local girls, and generally had a good time. I can't imagine living there, though.
    I really enjoyed riding through that country on motorcycle trips a few times. Nice people.

Staying near Tatla Lake, BC for a couple nights on some farm seemed wayyyyy out there for me. 3 hours driving in either direction to get cell service, and that was just a couple years ago. I've been to more remote places in BC, but nothing felt as remote as that place.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I worked in Jade City for a summer, and it shocked me how many people on bicycles would ride past. That's a long way to and from anywhere up there. By comparison, nothing in the lower 48 is even close to remote.
    ]
    BC is cut in half by hy 16 and the people you meet tend to be from along the hywy so very east-west centric, we say the narth but really its just the start of the north cuz the whole top half of BC has nothing/nobody and there are really only 2 hyways north either the AK highway or this one 37

If you are riding the length of north and south America which is a thing 37 is the hyway you take, there is FB group that do this and my ski bud was hosting people on their way down thru " warm showers " Right now buddy is within about 2000km of the end of the road at the tip of south america & I havent seen him in almost 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Wow, you met Mighty Moe? Nice one Steve, solid work for an out of towner. You drop that one on a Terracite, instant cred.
    Cool guy. Somewhere I have a pic of him air strumming a gold mining shovel. He was very welcoming. We hung out in his living quarters while he talked our ears off. I enjoyed paging through his many copies of Soldier of Fortune magazine. He had a firewood-powered shower.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post

The good thing about Battle Mountain is that it is in the middle of everywhere.
    Based on our best info, in 1981, we were one of 3 or 4 parties who bicycled from the lower 48 to AK that year.

I've bicycled across NV twice on trans USA trips. Basin and range bicycle touring is my favorite, much better than slogging up the Cassiar and AK Hwy. And it was fun stopping at a whorehouse a couple times to fill our water bottles.

Another nomination for lower 48 small town in the middle of nowhere: Gerlach NV

Biking in south of france a Dutch biker came over to my camp site and said " I see your canadian flags and I want to ask about riding along the coast from vancover to alaska ? To which i pointed out there is no road along the coast there is only a couple of interiour hways and you could ride for days without hitting a town cuz there is nothing and nobody

oh!? maybe I should ride south then

my buddy has been putting up FB picts of Argentina and that looks seriuosly in the middle of nowhere