Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tricks For Exiting Overlap Skiboots

I am not new to owning overlap skiboots and never had anything but a tough time getting my feet out of these after a session and back at the car. I do have my boots in a heated boot bag so putting my boots on is way easy. However, once they are on and cold like a skiboot would be, a real wresting match. Sure, dump the boots and get some three piece boots but not a option for me. So, my current boots are Technica Cochise 130's with Power Wraps. The stock liners were equally hard to exit from as well, so the liners are not the issue. My former overlap boots were tough as well.

Anyway, Any tricks out there that are helpful or am I beating my head against the wall? I know that if I warm up my car and heat my boots on the heater it helps or go hang out in the lodge for a while helps but anything quicker? Thanks...........

Huh...I never have an issue getting off my Cochise. Put in walk mode...flex way forward, hold top back of boot/liner and lift foot out from the heel. Always worked for me.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ski boots are always easier to take off when you're standing up.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I run zipfits in Salomon x-race 130 boots and also recently converted over to a heated boot bag. Steve Bagley at Superior Ski/Christy Sports (Snowbird) recommends putting on and taking off the liners and boots separately.

I’ve been in Zipfits for 10 years and used to suffer with putting on and taking off with the liners in the boots. It’s so much easier to do it separately. Steve also sells what is essentially a big plastic shoehorn (his invention). That combined with the heated boots makes it as easy as putting on a slipper.

As for removal, I just unbuckle the boot but keep the liner closed and slide my foot/liner right out of the shell. Even in a very cold parking lot, it’s a breeze.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Overlap liners seem to make it easier to remove boots vs stock or tongue liners - the overlap parts hold the instep plastic away, which is the part that pinches my foot.

Unbuckle all the buckles first?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    As for removal, I just unbuckle the boot but keep the liner closed and slide my foot/liner right out of the shell. Even in a very cold parking lot, it’s a breeze.
    Yep, this method is best. No match for plug boots on a single-digit day, but works great otherwise.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

A (female) friend of mine has a saying: good ski boots are like anal, painful on the way in, painful on the way out, but magic in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Overlap liners seem to make it easier to remove boots vs stock or tongue liners - the overlap parts hold the instep plastic away, which is the part that pinches my foot.

Unbuckle all the buckles first?
    This.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

OP needs to skip leg day and maybe do some forearm curls.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I always have a cheap plastic Rubbermaid step stool in the floor well of my vehical, I can sit on it lean back against the open door when dealing with boots, sit there and drink a beer and after wards I turn it upside down to put the boots on which catches melting snow & mud
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Ski boots are always easier to take off when you're standing up.
    Oh yeah..i figured that was a given...sorry...

I can barely get me off.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    A (female) friend of mine has a saying: good ski boots are like anal, painful on the way in, painful on the way out, but magic in the middle.
    I like your female friend.

I found the stock Cochise liner (orange generation, at least) is really hard to slide liner while on your foot in and out of the shell. Some weird friction on the heel.

Sit in the bar for an hour and let the boots warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I am not new to owning overlap skiboots and never had anything but a tough time getting my feet out of these after a session and back at the car.
    What size foot do you have? I have trouble getting in and out of my Lange RX130's when they are not warm. Because there are a lot more foot sizes than shell sizes (and the difference is made up with thicker/thinner liners), depending on where your foot size falls on the shell size change-over, you could have more or less difficulty getting in/out. Also, if you have a long foot (like my size 13) the geometry for getting in and out is less favorable so the shell must be stretched open farther. The design of the ski boot is probably based on about a size 10 and simply scaled up/down for the other sizes.

People with small feet probably have the least amount of work to get in/out.

One for overlap boots and one for rear entry.

This thread is a jongfest. Put your heated boot bag on your shoulders and get changed in the lodge.

If you really need to get booted up in the lot get a set of these to help carry your skis:

http://ezshopex.com/skitaker.html
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    ^this
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This thread is a jongfest. Put your heated boot bag on your shoulders and get changed in the lodge.

If you really need to get booted up in the lot get a set of these to help carry your skis:

http://ezshopex.com/skitaker.html
    If I ever see anyone heading up to the hill or lodge like this I'm launching mad snowballs at them. All in fun of course.
    Last edited by ichibaneye; 02-28-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    This is the answer, unless you move to a cabrio boot then it doesn't seem to matter.

I snagged some cheap scorpion 130s from quite a few years back... getting in isn’t fun but the feedback is unreal - makes my KR2s feel like toys. Getting out of them in the parking lot is ridiculously painful... straight pain to the navicular and that was with 30* temps in the parking lot. Had to take the line out with my foot in it. Would laces help?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    tech talk advise of the day!
    you can also leave it in your car upside down packed with snow & beer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tricks For Exiting Overlap Skiboots

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    I snagged some cheap scorpion 130s from quite a few years back... getting in isn’t fun but the feedback is unreal - makes my KR2s feel like toys. Getting out of them in the parking lot is ridiculously painful... straight pain to the navicular and that was with 30* temps in the parking lot. Had to take the line out with my foot in it. Would laces help?

Yes, laces would help for tongue liner. I use way thinner laces than any of the liners come with - not sure if It makes a difference in any way, or not. That’s a sick boot. I wouldn’t get in and out of it without taking the liner and and out with my foot.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 02-21-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Name, phone number and a good time to call?
    ​I am not in your hurry