Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I agree. However the case of a professional hired specifically to manage risk is different than the risk you assume when managing your self.

Cases that don't speak to the negligence of an individual, but rather focus on the liability of an organization are not particularly relevant here. Organizational liability and the waiver has been well established.

The ski instructor that was found liable may be a more direct comparison here.
    I know of no case where the ski instructor was found liable. In Braun vs Whistler the waiver/release defeated the case against WB and the instructor

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    This could get interesting in our small community. I've heard about alot this incident as i know the deceased and some others. Curious is the case filed in bc or ab? Would that make a difference Lee?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Filed in BC. It probably wouldn't make a difference

Not a lot of a detail available, so all I can go off of is the obvious facts from the report, pics, and google earth: 2 guides exposed entire group to avalanche hazard at once on a 500m line instead of using safe zones and consequently got all of them caught, many of them injured, and one of them killed.

Seems like this lawsuit will be highly dependent on the details of Canadian law.

In the US, I understand that waivers don't excuse gross negligence.

In some European countries, these guides might be facing criminal prosecution (manslaughter) from my understanding of this incident. The way professional guiding responsibility falls is quite heavy in Europe.

Now I imagine there are a lot of missing critical details we may not learn for a long time with a legal case in progress.

IANAL
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not a lot of a detail available, so all I can go off of is the obvious facts from the report, pics, and google earth: 2 guides exposed entire group to avalanche hazard at once on a 500m line instead of using safe zones and consequently got all of them caught, many of them injured, and one of them killed.

Seems like this lawsuit will be highly dependent on the details of Canadian law.

In the US, I understand that waivers don't excuse gross negligence.

In some European countries, these guides might be facing criminal prosecution (manslaughter) from my understanding of this incident. The way professional guiding responsibility falls is quite heavy in Europe.

Now I imagine there are a lot of missing critical details we may not learn for a long time with a legal case in progress.

IANAL
    That about sums it up. There were several other fatalities with in a few days by snowmobilers in the same region.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

A bit more info to build context.

CAA avy forecast for the day for the Purcells.

http://www.avalanche.ca/forecasts/ar...lls/2016-02-21

I checked successive avy forecasts and found it a bit odd the avalanche incident wasn't reported in the forecast's 'details' section which noted numerous other human trigger, controlled and natural avies over the past week.

I'm interested in learning more about the snow profile details and failure plane. Wonder if the slope was one of the isolated areas with surface hoar on the feb 10th crust.
    Master of mediocrity.