Another "Need a New Bike" thread- Want a Tallboy

Since it doesn't snow anymore here, I've been riding a lot more. My old Prophet is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm looking at Tallboys.

I rode a couple this weekend at a shop. The build that seems to be the best deal in the '18s is the carbon. Then I see this deal online: Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy Carbon GX Eagle Complete Mountain Bike - 2017 sale $3,119.00 (Reg. $4,799.00 35% OFF). The thing that seems odd is that the frame only has a 5 year warranty, but all the other SC carbon frames are lifetime. Anyone know if there were issues with the '17?

Edit to add: It's just old copy on the site. All 2015 and on have lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by GiBo; 02-20-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Get the carbon TB....it's lively and lovely!

Nothing wrong with pre '`18 carbon Santa Cruz. I've been riding the snot out of my '15 carbon Hightower for 2 seasons and it's as solid as the day I got it.

$3200 is a smoking deal for that, jump on it

$3K for a modern carbon FS with a solid warranty that you already know fits you well? Seems like a no brainer.
    The only questions to consider are whether you're going to upgrade the cheaper bike. If the local bike has a significantly nicer wheelset or fork, and you're an upgrader, you'll likely be better off buying the nicer bike upfront.
    However many are in a shit ton.

If you are looking at Backcountry or other online sites make sure to use Active Junky or a similar product to get a few more % off. Maybe up to 10 site dependent.

Thanks fellas. I'm about to pull the trigger right now. Trying to find codes John_B! And yes, it's BC.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Thanks fellas. I'm about to pull the trigger right now. Trying to find codes John_B! And yes, it's BC.
    If using Active Junky, be sure to check if backcountry or Competitive has a different cash back % currently. They seem to always have the same bike inventory and pricing, but the CB offers vary sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ya, I'm trying to figure out the Active Junky thing. I signed up on their site, but it only takes me to a couple of select deals on BC, not the bike. Not sure how this thing works.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Ya, I'm trying to figure out the Active Junky thing. I signed up on their site, but it only takes me to a couple of select deals on BC, not the bike. Not sure how this thing works.
    First, pause adblock.

Log in to Active Junky, search for the store name (not the bike), see what the current CB % is for backcountry vs Competitive. Click through to whichever store has higher CB. Once there, search for the bike. Don't close out the web page until you finish the purchase (ie don't close the tab, surf around, then come back). You should get an email from AJ a few minutes after you complete the purchase, telling you how much CB you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

AJ is a cashback site. Follow Chup's suggestions and you get money in your AJ account. They send you your money quarterly.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Well shit, I think that's what I did- sans the ad blocker pause. We'll see if it worked.

Edit: It worked! $250 cash back. How the hell didn't I know about this before? I've bought a ton of shit from BC! Thanks Mags. Super excited to get my bike! I'm not much of a stoke poster, but I'll post up pics when I go on my virgin ride when I get her.
    Last edited by GiBo; 02-21-2018 at 01:29 PM.