Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Current Ultralight Down Jacket Recommendations

I'm looking at getting an ultralight down jacket, but I am a little concerned about durability. It would be mainly used as a mid-layer, around town and to throw in a backpack for an extra layer. It would not be for skiing in the glades and places like that where it will be instantly shredded.

I don't want anything synthetic. I want real pockets. I want it to to be really light. Some degree of water resistance whether in the down or fabric is a bonus. I'd like some durability of the fabric, but don't expect it to take abuse. 750+ fill count us a must.

I'm currently looking at the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer, Marmot Quasar/Quasar Nova, Patagonia Ultralight. I'd say the Ghost Whisperer is my leading candidate right now, but the 7D x 10D fabric seems like it may be asking to get shredded for the sake of a few ounces. Anybody have any experience with any of these or similar?

I have the ghost whisperer. I like it, it's held up well to a three seasons of wear, but you're never going to find a "durable ultralight" that's an oxymoron. Split the difference and Get a Patagonia nano puff.

Eta: I save my GW for on hill layering only, since it packs up well into my backpack, I never wear it around town or as a everyday item (that's where all the damage happens) Get a cheaper more sturdy puffy for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Feathered friends.
    Stuff usually isn't cheap, but it's really, really nice stuff.
    I've got a puffy [Helios, I think] from 15+ years ago, 850 fill. Dryloft, IIRC. Back then, you couldn't get 700 fill, pretty much anywhere. FF was routinely doing 850 - which I got.

Much later, one of my friends' dads was walking around with some [super sharp] wood lathe tools and brushed up against me - and just opened up the pocket panel. Sent it back to FF for a repair. They repaired it at no cost and sent it back.

Their stuff isn't cheap. But, AFAIK, it's locally manufactured and is just super high quality.
    You might consider the Hyperion - it looks like it fits the bill.
    [Edited to add a linky: http://featheredfriends.com/down-gar...t/jackets.html ]

BTW, I still have that puffy - and IMO it's in great shape. Been on a lot of climbs, around town, and in the back-country.

up here it can be cold so for colder than -10C I use the Rab Neutrino which I really like and for warmer than -10 I use a lighter Faction

both with hoods, both with lotsa pockets, the Faction especialy has a couple of huge cargo pockets inside

I tend to wear some shittier older down jackets in the BC and I keep the purty new ones for around town, or for protection its better to thro a shell over down for the down, but eventualy they all end up leaving a trail of feather, so clear tenacious tape is great for fixing the big holes, for smaller holes I keep a bottle of clear matte nail polish handy, when a hole appears dab a little on the hole and caller fixed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I highly recommend the Mammut flexidown unless you're fat. Jeez, I may have to buy another, as it's on sale.
    here

Hell, all their Mammuts are on sale, maybe one of these is the correct version for you:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 2.55.39 PM.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	225004
    Last edited by plugboots; 02-20-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

AFAIK, the only UL down jacket with full box baffle construction is the Montbell Mirage parka at 12.X oz. Way warmer than the sewn through construction of the other options in that weight class, including the FF Helios that I owned previously. Not exactly a mid-layer, though I have worn it under a shell in a pinch, so it may not really be what you want. Montbell also makes the plasma jkt (4.3 oz, hoodless, no pockets) and plasma parka (8.3 oz, hooded with pockets), which would go on my short list if I wanted a down midlayer because the ratio of fill weight to overall weight is crazy high. The MH Ghost Whisperer looks like a combo of the two, so it may be your personal sweet spot.

So far, no durability issues with the 7D face fabric on the Mirage in 3 seasons of light use, knock on wood. Wife has one, too, and she kept it thrown in the back of the car for emergencies for a few months without issue. If mine got shredded beyond repair tomorrow, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I have a MHW thing, not sure it's a ghost whisperer, think it may have been whatever immediately preceded that one. Anyway it's what you're describing (800 fill down, 2 hand pockets, stuffs up nicely, etc) and it's held up great. It's pretty much always in my pack when touring (or on me sometimes during descent) for the last 2+ years now.
    Nitrous Jacket. I have one too. Replaced my OG Patagonia Down Sweater because the Down Sweater fit like a box, whereas the Nitrous fits really well. I've had mine for... 8ish years? Has held up well. Only wear I've noticed is a tiny bit on one of the cuffs at the little elastic bit. Hasn't done anything, but I've been meaning to dab some Seamgrip on it. REI has it for $154 right now and some other guys I've never bought from have it for $30 less. I'd recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    AFAIK, the only UL down jacket with full box baffle construction is the Montbell Mirage parka at 12.X oz. Way warmer than the sewn through construction of the other options in that weight class, including the FF Helios that I owned previously. Not exactly a mid-layer, though I have worn it under a shell in a pinch, so it may not really be what you want. Montbell also makes the plasma jkt (4.3 oz, hoodless, no pockets) and plasma parka (8.3 oz, hooded with pockets), which would go on my short list if I wanted a down midlayer because the ratio of fill weight to overall weight is crazy high.
    Montbell makes really nice shit. I have a baffled light-ish down hoody from Dynafit, but it's 6 oz more than your Mirage. Really awesome piece. Nabbed it off Evo when they somehow had it down to $90 shipped. Here's Lou's review: https://www.wildsnow.com/11322/dynaf...jacket-review/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I’ve had a lot of puffies, and currently reach for my Patagonia Ultralight sweater more than anything else. If it’s really cold, I grab my REI down/synth hybrid; maybe not as fashionable, but it’s cheap, sturdy, and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Any of the Norrona downs -

I have the Lyngen and its perfect... Lofoten is sweet also....

I am also a hudge fan of Montbell down jackets/parkas.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I also have the ghost whisperer. Found it on sale for a good price. Seems tough enough and kept me warm when I needed it last summer during an all out August lightning/snow storm. Love the hood. Fits under everything very easily so works great as a ski layer when it isn't quite cold enough to bring out a giant puffy. Wife liked it so much she bought one as well. I wouldn't pay full price for it but you shouldn't have to. Also seems very hydrophobic as advertised. Solid coat.

Wife sporting a Western Mountaineering vest. Paid full price and worth every penny.

Name:	20170810-IMG_8068.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	225019

Name:	20170810-P1010235.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	225020

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Montbell makes really nice shit. I have a baffled light-ish down hoody from Dynafit, but it's 6 oz more than your Mirage. Really awesome piece. Nabbed it off Evo when they somehow had it down to $90 shipped. Here's Lou's review: https://www.wildsnow.com/11322/dynaf...jacket-review/
    Thanks for the heads up about the Dynafit one -- hadn't seen it before. Pretty different jackets, though: the Mirage is 5.3 oz fill in a 12.8 oz parka, while the Dynafit is 4.76 oz in an 18.8 oz parka. Obviously, the face fabric accounts for the vastly different fill/weight ratios. Both have their place, but personally I look for a very high fill/weight ratio in my UL puffies and a slightly heavier face fabric on heavie puffies (belay parkas, etc) where weather-resistance and durability are of higher importance.

(I have no affiliation with by Montbell) Since we're doing photos now, jesski modeling hers:

Name:	20347023_325079767916757_4946561203997507584_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	225021
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I am also a hudge fan of Montbell down jackets/parkas.
    Also, also a fan, my MB Highlands jkt is a workhorse. 5 years of being the jacket by the door, and it has only lost some of it's sheen.

Loved my Patagonia down sweater and used it a ton and it held up well. Unfortunately it does not stand up to a house fire, so I need to replace it. Don't know if it on sale, but Patagonia.com sale ends today. The ultra light doesn't have enough down for me as a stay alone piece, but I bet it is a great mid layer. I use my sweater as a midlayer on really
    Cold days and it works very well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Check out Montbell. The superior down T is the most versatile piece I've ever owned. I'm on my second one now after 8ish years of use. The best 100 bucks I've ever spent.
    https://en.montbell.jp/products/good...uct_id=1101470

Wait till the end of season for at least a 40% off deal

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I use the Rab Neutrino
    OP should check this one out. Very light, though not as light as something like the Ghost Whisperer, but the Pertex shell is as, or more, durable as any other 'ultralight' jacket's. I had a Western Mountaineering Flash, which was an awesome ultralight, but the Rab Neutrino was more durable and close in weight so I sold the WM.

Patagonia Nano Puff fits and insulates like a grocery bag, strangely their down jackets seem better in both dimensions.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Yes.

Can't beat the price and they have a good athletic fit. I have a hooded one and it's my daily driver for 80-85% of PNW lowland winter. Walk the dog in it in light rain, still new so has a good DWR. Don't like how there is no drawstring around the waist. Lifetime warranty too.

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like there are quite a few viable options out there and a number of them I had not thought much of. It looks like Steep and Cheap has some good options if you are flexible on color:
    https://www.steepandcheap.com/mens-d...nt&pagesize=80

I may go with the Eddie Bauer option since it is just $80.

Current Ultralight Down Jacket Recommendations

So I went with the men's 800 Ultralight Down Jacket from a company called MyTrails Co out of Boulder. This jacket seemed to hit all my check boxes. I had never heard of this company, but I guess their founder is the same guy who founded GoLite who went bankrupt because of too many retailer mistakes rather than junk products.

https://mytrailco.com/collections/mens-down-jackets

*Jacket has DWR coating.
    *Jacket is light, but not the lightest at 12 oz. There were some features that I wanted that I’m sure added some weight.
    *Trimmer fit rather than regular box cut.
    *Stupid cheap at $89 shipped.
    *Has two hand pockets, an internal pocket, self-stow pocket. A number of the really light jackets had just two pockets.
    *Has 20d shell. This still isn't heavy duty, but the sub-15d counts seemed too flimsy.
    *Elastic wrist bands. Some ultralight jackets didn't have this.
    *Cord adjustment at the waist. Some ultralight jackets didn't have this.
    *800 fill down.
    *I didn't want a hood, but you can get this jacket with a hood.
    *I would have liked the down to be treated for water resistance as well, but I don’t think that stuff is a magic bullet and I live in Colorado where things are relatively drier than other areas.

For the price and features that I wanted it seems like this jacket can't be beat. Hopefully it is nice.
    Last edited by wolfelot; 02-21-2018 at 12:23 PM.

when it comes to choosing puffy jackets my recommnedation is always to wait til mid or late season and buy whatever is on sale at least 50% off

What I bought supposedly retails for $229 and I picked it up for $89 shipped + tax, so ~60% off.

Have the MH Ghost Whisperer vest. Bought it on sale. It's been very durable but I only use under a shell if I'm in the bc. If I skin the resort and don't want to spend time on layers, I'll put it on over my shell. Otherwise it goes from closet to pack to on at the summit under a shell to the pack at the car or trailhead and then into the closet. Very little civilian or town use.