AK - Chugach Conditions

Anyone have any intel on conditions? I feel very greatful that I am lucky enough to be heading there in a few weeks...

Thanks!

How are things up in the Chugach at the moment?

I've heard reports that there was a major wind event which has destroyed a lot of the snow, and heli operators are having to stick to very mellow terrain at the moment

That’s how it was for us a week ago - and socked in as well . No idea now though.

gonna be all time this week
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    gonna be all time this week
    I'm going to be in Girdwood starting Tuesday and the Turnagain avy forecast isn't looking promising. Is it that much better over your way?

things just need to cool off. I dropped some friends off at PNH touring camp yesterday. Talked with a guide I know. He said they had a couple of wind event layers that were problematic. His take and my opinion is this last storm was large enough to take care of some problems. I looked at Turnagain and think if by Tuesday things cool off and leave a half foot it should be good skiing. I doubt anybody is flying today so cannot get any reports. But Valdez could be a solid option if north winds do not ravage.
    off your knees Louie

things just need to cool off. I dropped some friends off at PNH touring camp yesterday. Talked with a guide I know. He said they had a couple of wind event layers that were problematic. His take and my opinion is this last storm was large enough to take care of some problems. I looked at Turnagain and think if by Tuesday things cool off and leave a half foot it should be good skiing. I doubt anybody is flying today so cannot get any reports. But Valdez could be a solid option if north winds do not ravage.
    Good to know thanks. Yeah, I was wondering if the cold temps forecasted would lock up the snow a bit. I just wish you guys weren't dealing with that scary deep persistent layer. That's a little harder to deal with in a new, unfamiliar area.

Up on Thompson Pass at the moment. Flew yesterday, pretty much everything we got onto was wind affected. We stuck to mellow angle mellow terrain and one of the groups that were out managed to kick off a small slide and the skier lost a ski. By the sounds of it there's going to be plenty of wind again to go with the snow tomorrow.

winds ravaged, was really optimistic coming out of that last cycle.
    off your knees Louie

winds ravaged, was really optimistic coming out of that last cycle.
    Truth. Turnagain was hammered, pretty much all aspects and elevations. Hatcher was holding good snow in random places if you were willing to poke around.

Do NOT go to the Chugach right now, and cancel any plans to go until there is some fresh snow that isn't followed by a wind event. Conditions are really bad at the moment.

your still there?
    off your knees Louie

AK - Chugach Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    Do NOT go to the Chugach right now, and cancel any plans to go until there is some fresh snow that isn't followed by a wind event. Conditions are really bad at the moment.
    This what happens when DD buys the Chugach, weather goes to shit.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto