Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    I'll be pulling the trigger today. Leaning towards the convenience of SLC. Big Sky looks most epic but its a pain to reach with only 4 days off. Thanks all for the replies I am a grateful jong.
    Salt lake airport to snowbird 40 minutes
    Bozeman to big sky is only 20 minute longer ride with direct flights from most big cities?

I am guessing the $$$ difference to fly into BZN VS SLC is significant.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    yeah but i got a plan
    and it involves

and way more work than a bum should in order to funds it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Salt lake airport to snowbird 40 minutes
    Bozeman to big sky is only 20 minute longer ride with direct flights from most big cities?
    It's an $800 direct flight compared to 350 for SLC. I try to not let money play a huge factor in my decision making but this is my 3rd trip this year and costs are starting to rack up!

^^^ When you compare that and the deals on lift tickets and Lodging you can get in Utardia it is understandable.

Have fun. BTW, 3rd day of below zero temps with daytime highs of about 5 degrees here in Big Sky country.

At least it is a dry heat.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Jumped on the SLC ticket at 275 round trip from 3/2 to 3/6. It's only a 6 hour drive to Big Sky from SLC I see. This could get interesting!

Jumped on the SLC ticket at 275 round trip from 3/2 to 3/6. It's only a 6 hour drive to Big Sky from SLC I see. This could get interesting!
    And other than the last couple hours, not a bad drive. Just don't do the last 2 hrs in the dark.

NYC-SLC Nonstop? I’ve been watching flights and the cheapest I see (even for those dates) is $400.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    NYC-SLC Nonstop? I’ve been watching flights and the cheapest I see (even for those dates) is $400.
    1 stop. Out of Newark. It was one of those mystery "find out after you've purchased" deals on priceline. I was seeing the same thing as you. Seems like they only get more expensive later on in the month.

1 stop. Out of Newark. It was one of those mystery "find out after you've purchased" deals on priceline. I was seeing the same thing as you. Seems like they only get more expensive later on in the month.
    Not sure if they still do it but some hills would give you a free afternoon pass if you show your plane ticket on the day you arrive. NOT a local and it's been years since I've skied Utah. Maybe Benny can chime in

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Not sure if they still do it but some hills would give you a free afternoon pass if you show your plane ticket on the day you arrive. NOT a local and it's been years since I've skied Utah. Maybe Benny can chime in
    Park City areas used to do this, but they stopped years ago. I don't think any of the Utah areas do this anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Anyone want to ski Brighton or Solitude next weekend? Let me know. I'll be staying in SL and driving up. Down to get a beer or 6 as well.

It's only a 6 hour drive to Big Sky from SLC I see. This could get interesting!
    I have done that drive many a time. It's not bad at all (in ideal conditions) and I've saved a fortune in airline tix before by doing that, BUT "6 hours" is summer driving. I've gotten caught in the middle of a storm and if it weren't for my snow tires and bomber AWD, there's no way I would have wanted to do that. Even then it was pretty sketchy. One morning I was on my way to SLC, the plows were taking their sweet time getting going apparently and there was probably a good 6-8 inches on the highway. A rental car with balding all-seasons? Nope. However, if you hit it during some nice, sunny days, it's a beautiful drive with plenty of cool stuff along the way. Perhaps make a pit stop in West Yellowstone for some snowmobiling! Hit up Jackson. Loads of possibilities.

Timing just turned a whole lot better for SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I have done that drive many a time. It's not bad at all (in ideal conditions) and I've saved a fortune in airline tix before by doing that, BUT "6 hours" is summer driving. I've gotten caught in the middle of a storm and if it weren't for my snow tires and bomber AWD, there's no way I would have wanted to do that. Even then it was pretty sketchy. One morning I was on my way to SLC, the plows were taking their sweet time getting going apparently and there was probably a good 6-8 inches on the highway. A rental car with balding all-seasons? Nope. However, if you hit it during some nice, sunny days, it's a beautiful drive with plenty of cool stuff along the way. Perhaps make a pit stop in West Yellowstone for some snowmobiling! Hit up Jackson. Loads of possibilities.
    I got stopped in West Yellowstone driving from Bozeman to Jackson last Monday for 2.5 hours while they plowed the wind drifts over in Idaho on a nice, sunny, but really fucking cold day. When I drove through that low pass they were plowing, it was still really fucked up by the wind. Pretty, though.