Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Never saw much point in antler decorations, but Gaston does. The only use I know is to give them to your bunnies so they can wear down their teeth. Helps prevent maloculsion in lagomorphs.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Heh, yeah, they had a great time, and what they will probably remember most is this snake that buzzed a warning at me from about sixteen inches off the trail as I walked by. My oldest screamed and jumped back and prevented the others from traipsing by. Later it really sunk in how lucky we were nobody got snake bit down there 8 miles from the nearest trailhead with no cell service and having not seen another hiker all day. Funny being always so hyper bear aware in Yellowstone, and then this little guy could have done some real damage if he'd wanted to. We all had pretty fucked up dreams that night in the tent.

Attachment 286045
    The old hikers adage...First person wakes it up, second person pisses it off, third person gets bit, forth person watches it all.

Glad nobody got bit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Not a fan of most antler mounts, but those urps really pay big dollars for a nice match set of elk or moose. Didn't realize how valued they were until a set I stored at the folks years ago got eye'd by a visiting dane; I told dad just give em away for a for a favour or two from his buddy who brought over his countryman. Turns out even with the permits needed to export, that matched shed was worth well over $1k. Seems sheds are worth even more than a hunter's kill since there's no animal blood involved. I've got a nice moose palm set under the porch waiting for the annual shed buyer. Will cover the parts bill for the sled this winter.

Pretty good find at the end of a recent ski tour:

-Edit: zero idea why this image rotated, looks fine on my end of things. whatever.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200425_135255.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	327838

That's a sweet find GB. It may be worth going back to where you found it and wandering around for another hour or two to try to find the other paddle. Supposedly moose will try their damnedest to knock the other one off once the first goes. Having a matching set of those things would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Pretty good find at the end of a recent ski tour:

-Edit: zero idea why this image rotated, looks fine on my end of things. whatever.

Name:	20200425_135255.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	327838

Name:	GBMoose (2).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	327858
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Woot! Not really hunting per se. Found this beauty outside my back door

Name:	20240206_084347.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	485767
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Nice!

Not a shed but I found this guy a couple of years ago:

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	485812

Found the mate! It was down by my barn.

Name:  20240222_104051.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  43.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Not a shed but I found this guy a couple of years ago:

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	485812
    What a find. RIP, Baphomet. In shape to mount?

A few years back we had the best rideable crust ever for a few weeks. My daughter and I got into some crazy places in the woods that nobody gets to because it's far enough off the trails. We found a hillside covered with them! It was a pita to get to but I went back a few times and grabbed a bunch. Sold them for $20-50 each. That was nice.

Please don't fuck with the animals in early spring. Most "winter mortality" actually occurs in March or April when the animals are out of reserves and unable to keep up on caloric intake. Getting bumped by shed hunters in an extreme case of caloric deficit doesn't help.

#the moreyouknow

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

This year, for the first time in forever, the Nat'l. Elk Refuge in Jackson is limiting access to the annual elk antler pickup.

The Governor signed a bill into law last year that gives only Wyo residents the right to pick up for the first week.

Yeah, a whole week.

The business of collecting on the refuge has gotten so outta hand that they just canned it altogether for commercial collectors.

It'll be a dust bin before the first non wyomingite sets foot up there.

My dog always finds dear/elk bones, just never horns.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I'm still seeing mule deer with both antlers, seams late for them to still be hanging on to head gear?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

In Colorado it is illegal to collect and possess antlers or horns west of I-25 on public lands from Jan 1 - April 30.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Please don't fuck with the animals in early spring. Most "winter mortality" actually occurs in March or April when the animals are out of reserves and unable to keep up on caloric intake. Getting bumped by shed hunters in an extreme case of caloric deficit doesn't help.

#the moreyouknow

The ones I find are in my yard or on my acreage. Only picking if I happen to come across them.

The deer sleep in my front yard and feed in my wheat and corn fields (and eat all my bird seed). They are very accustomed to ppl but yeah, harassing wildlife is never good. For me shed hunting is like beachcombing. You go for walk and maybe you're lucky enough to find something.

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    I'm still seeing mule deer with both antlers, seams late for them to still be hanging on to head gear?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    I've got some bucks who shed weeks ago and some still hanging on.

Had a YUGE 4 point sleeping in my yard today and another smaller one going to town on a lilac tree with his antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    The ones I find are in my yard or on my acreage. Only picking if I happen to come across them.

The deer sleep in my front yard and feed in my wheat and corn fields (and eat all my bird seed). They are very accustomed to ppl but yeah, harassing wildlife is never good. For me shed hunting is like beachcombing. You go for walk and maybe you're lucky enough to find something.
    Yup, no worries. My statement wasn't aimed at you--more of a PSA as most folks think the ungulates are fine if they make it through the snowy seasons.

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Can't even get from the house to the barn!

Name:	20240223_092535.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	487905

Nice barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What a find. RIP, Baphomet. In shape to mount?
    I did a Euro:

Name:	IMG_2733_Original.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	487987

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Nice barn.
    Yeah I think we need some KQ farm pics.