Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's Shed Hunting Time!

My favorite time of year! Just noticed the big 4 point buck who likes to hang out in my backyard is sans antlers. Once the herd moves off later this afternoon I'm going to have to go out and have a look around.

The old buck is standing outside my kitchen window watching me right now. Hope he left them somewhere easy to find. I've never found a matched pair.

Found this nice one a couple years ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000942.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	224859
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Nice! Shed hunting is actually getting pretty insane out here in Utah, you have to take an online course, and there is a "season" where you need the certificate. Colorado shut down shedhunting west of I25 until April 30th. Here in Utah it is wild to see how many people will be actively shed hunting on weekends. I worry that this is actually damaging to wildlife in a lot of wintering areas and would support longer shed closures. Someone said it best, we don't regulate thewildlife any more, we regulate humans.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Years and years of hiking in deer and elk country, and I've never found a shed. Then again, I tend to stick to the trails.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Nice! Shed hunting is actually getting pretty insane out here in Utah, you have to take an online course, and there is a "season" where you need the certificate. Colorado shut down shedhunting west of I25 until April 30th. Here in Utah it is wild to see how many people will be actively shed hunting on weekends. I worry that this is actually damaging to wildlife in a lot of wintering areas and would support longer shed closures. Someone said it best, we don't regulate thewildlife any more, we regulate humans.

I stick to my 110 acres but I have found the occasional one on the side of the road when I'm in the truck (sitting up higher than the Subaru). I know there are people who come onto my land and hunt down by the river. Kinda pisses me off but it's hard for me to control as the house is set back a half a mile. I can see them with binoculars but I'm not always in the mood to hop in the side-by-side and chase them off besides, they are usually families that live up or down the river out for a walk and shed hunting as they go so it's not as bad as total random people.

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    Years and years of hiking in deer and elk country, and I've never found a shed. Then again, I tend to stick to the trails.
    Honestly they can be so hard to see. I've been right on top of them before and not seen them until I pass back by a spot. I have found several along wildlife trails that cross my property and one in the driveway. What's really awful is finding them out in the wheat field with the tractor tire.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I have been lucky enough to find a few sheds over the years and even luckier to find a set of 8 point sheds that a friend used to make a wall pocket basket with.

Pro tip, if you look around a rub or scrape you will have a better chance of finding some.
    watch out for snakes

They actually train dogs these days to find sheds.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Not good when you find them with a 4k tractor tire.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Not good when you find them with a 4k tractor tire.
    I've hit more than a few with the mower.
    I usually find singles, only once have I found a pair.

Name:  deer skull.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  442.4 KB

Name:	Image1519078247.192053.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	975.5 KB 
ID:	224867

Only one I’ve found.

Kiddo went on a Boy Scout shed hunt on the Elk Refuge, he found 17 in an hour. He got downright bored it was so easy.
    No one else is allowed to shed hunt there besides the Boy Scouts, for one day a year, for four hours.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

What do people do with them? There's so many deer around here sheds must be all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What do people do with them? There's so many deer around here sheds must be all over the place.
    They get made into things like pipes, key chains, dog chew toys and lamps as well as objets d'art. Mine hang out around the house.

Antler chandeliers are pretty cool if it fits the motif.
    Good dog bones too.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    I've hit more than a few with the mower.
    I usually find singles, only once have I found a pair.

Name:  deer skull.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  442.4 KB
    Technically that would not be a shed set since they seem to still be attached to the skull but very kewl looking with the growth.
    watch out for snakes

They are also food for rodents mostly. Sometimes one can find old shed with chew marks on them.
    watch out for snakes

They can fetch some $ especially if you are a buyer of antlers and sell them to asia where there is a market for kitschy western americana items. I have a few ive found, and will probably go for a training hike through some areas once this recent snow melts to look.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I've stumbled across a couple nice elk sheds over the years, always while hunting for an actual elk.
    Name:  FB_IMG_1519082106273.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  59.8 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1519082046345.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  131.9 KB
    Last year I floated the Middle Fork Salmon River in April with some buddies who are serious shed hunters. I hiked many miles looking but found zilch. My friend Mark found a bunch though. Some people really have the knack for spotting them.
    Name:  FB_IMG_1519082018005.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  58.3 KB

And here i thought you were in search of a shed for your back yard. For lawn mowers n stuff. I was going to say those prefab cedar ones are pretty nice if you have the cash, but this really isn't the thread for that.

Learn something new every day.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I thought it was like a duck blind or something for a minute. A hunting shed.

Hiking through black canyon of the Yellowstone in the park has a ridiculous amount of elk sheds as it is a migratory route. There are a couple of huge ones that stick out of both sides of large tree trunks. Just don't try and sneak some out because the park randomly puts transmitters in them as it is illegal to shed hunt in the national park. Have always wanted to find a moose shed.

I set timber sale boundaries for a few years and I would find sheds all them time. I have left more than a few large elk antlers behind after I got tired of dragging them in the brush. A few years back I would run tree planting projects with inmate crews in Colorado. They were areas that that burned 1-4 years before with hardly any brush. We found tons of sheds and the guys could not take them back to prison. So I ended up with probably 3 dozen antlers. I gave most away. They make great dog chew toys. I think they look cool but hate furniture made with them. Have probably 6 of the best matching sets one huge elk pair in my yard. Squirrels are currently working there way through them now.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Last year I floated the Middle Fork Salmon River in April with some buddies who are serious shed hunters. I hiked many miles looking but found zilch. My friend Mark found a bunch though. Some people really have the knack for spotting them.

Once I spot one on the ground and get that visual in my mind I can usually find more.

Quote Originally Posted by TacocaT View Post
    A few years back I would run tree planting projects with inmate crews in Colorado. They were areas that that burned 1-4 years before with hardly any brush. We found tons of sheds and the guys could not take them back to prison.
    Yeah - they'd make nice shivs.

Initial look-see for Big Daddy's antlers came up empty. It amazes me that for all the time those bucks (usually have 5 or 6) spend sleeping and grazing in the immediate area around my house I never find any close-in. Most of the ones I find are down at the river or along trails they travel.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Once I spot one on the ground and get that visual in my mind I can usually find more.

Yeah - they'd make nice shivs.

Initial look-see for Big Daddy's antlers came up empty. It amazes me that for all the time those bucks (usually have 5 or 6) spend sleeping and grazing in the immediate area around my house I never find any close-in. Most of the ones I find are down at the river or along trails they travel.
    Look for white was the advice I got.

I have 6-8 decent-size bucks living in the vicinity and yet I can't find their sheds in the hills behind the house where I know they hide out. I might find a couple small ones but the big boys are a mystery. I kind of like that. But still. Where ARE they?!

Horns vs antlers...

Name:	IMG_3448.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	224888

It's Shed Hunting Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    They can fetch some $ especially if you are a buyer of antlers and sell them to asia where there is a market for kitschy western americana items. I have a few ive found, and will probably go for a training hike through some areas once this recent snow melts to look.
    Yep. I used to hunt them for 3 months hardcore when I lived in Cody, WY. I made a lot of money in those three months. We hunted mainly Elk sheds. My best season I made 18k in 3 1/2 months. Found several Elk dead heads and a couple sheep dead heads.
    If a guy wants to see some amazing sheds and dead heads, you must go to the Jackson Antler auction. We would sell most of our stuff to a certain buyer locally but would take some stuff there as well.
    I also got into making lamps from deer and elk sheds. Those things sold for a ton of money.