Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dogs are really good at finding them. You don't even really have to train them too, since they like them.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Watch along game trails where there are low overhanging trees or near fence lines where deer and elk jump the fences. The added forces make them fall off in those locations.

A couple years ago some horses drowned in the Gros Ventre when a bunch of shed hunters rushed to the river at the strike of midnight to legally gather in the area. My game warden neighbor told me the majority of the shed hunters here are not the typical outdoorsy types, not prepared for dangerous water crossings, blinded by shed fever and counting on the money to pay off the note on their new side by side.

Beyond the decorative appeal, don't a lot of these sheds get ground up for Chinese boner pills?

Somewhere I have a picture of hundreds of deer and elk sheds stacked up in front of a barn, along with a cougar skin. My Grandmother bought a ranch that was previously used to raise elk back in the 1930s. The fences were incredibly high.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post

Beyond the decorative appeal, don't a lot of these sheds get ground up for Chinese boner pills?

I know the velvet is used for medicinal purposes, not sure about mature antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Watch along game trails where there are low overhanging trees or near fence lines where deer and elk jump the fences. The added forces make them fall off in those locations.
    Some people make "antler traps" where they feed the deer. I'm not that serious about wanting them. I just enjoy the "treasure hunt" aspect of finding them while out for a walk.

Spent about an hour down by the river this morning with no luck - wasn't really expecting much as most of the bucks still have their antlers (saw a small band of bucks when I was down there). Honestly Big Daddy could have dumped them anywhere over the 1000 of acres of wheat fields that surround me. I'll look on the hillside later today - I've had luck up there before.

Speaking of the river.... still dismayed at how much it changed course and the tonnage of rocks that were deposited on my land. Absolutely crazy. It's a good 4ft high (the rock bar that wasn't there last summer). Here is a picture I took standing at the new edge of the river looking back at the bank where I place my pump. Last year the river came right up to the bank and ran a good 2-3ft deep (less by the end of summer). I will def. be needing a longer suction hose this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_006828.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	706.7 KB 
ID:	224975

Here's a pic of what was my neighbor's fence:

Name:	WP_006829.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	224976

The river giveth.... and she taketh away.......
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Best I ever found was a matching set of moose sheds while GPS'ing some treatment area south of Kelowna back in the mid 90's. Hooked them together on the field vest/gps antenna (back when the industrial Trimble units were 40lbs of computer, transceiver and antenna), continued my work and back to the truck. They sat around the folks place until a visiting friend from Denmark saw them and inquired. Dad gave me a shout to hear what I wanted to do with them, I said give them away. The Dane was very excited, took them and got the permits to take them home. Guess a nice matching set in Denmark is worth a couple thousand Canuck rubles once mounted. Double points for sheds as there was no animal harmed in the harvest. Shed buyer comes around in June each year here and buys bulk antlers for about $40/lbs

A little hard to see with the snow but there are a few pairs on the fence. Coolest pair was from a buck that is part of the herd wandering around here. He lost one of his antlers fairly early. And we found it. When he lost the other one I was hoping it was going to be close by. He walked around for 2-3 weeks before shedding the second.

I ended up finding it...compared to photos and to the first and I'm pretty sure they're a matching pair with red circle. Very cool.

Name:	DSC06861.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	615.8 KB 
ID:	224979

A previous roommate of mine and a buddy of his track an elk herd year round. They pull enough meat between bow and rifle season to last them through the year. The euro mount we had in our living room was the largest rack I've seen in person, that bull rivals some of the monsters you see mounted above barns or ranch entrances driving around the northwest.

During shed season my roommate would take off work for about 6 weeks and would come back from the woods every few days with a pickup bed full of antlers. He financed his hunting season with the money made from filling up the garage. After the shed, it was time to head south for the summer for river season. Tough life.

watch out for snakes

The shop guys at my LBS are all about it between ski and bike season. They'll drop off antlers by the truckload and make a few K during off-season

The area I hunt is not a wintering area, never found sheds up there when scouting or in season. The elk & deer seem to show up late summer. A close friend does habitat work at a mine near Craig, CO and cleans house. He has brought back thick 6 point elk sheds several times.

We've been able to find a few deadheads, I got a 3x3 this year and my brother found this last year. He was a solid 5x5 until the squirrels got to him.

Name:  snip_20180221153447.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  159.8 KB

Some states have legal shed collecting seasons?
    You're telling me, if I was in a state on not the right date and my dog found something discarded by an animal in the bushes, I could be fined or imprisoned for keeping it? What if it's very decomposed?
    What a weird law.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My dog finds them all the time. usually up north, and almost always 'boo. He's a big fan.

Name:	WP_006825 (1).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	639.5 KB 
ID:	225148
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Just spent a few days backpacking in the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone River. Sheds and skulls abound, and because it's in a national park you can view them and handle them, but you can't take them. Pretty cool trip.

Name:	20190613_133455.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	285986

Name:	20190613_160732.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	285987

Name:	20190614_112920.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	285988

Name:	20190614_125112.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	285989

Name:	20190614_134432.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	285990

Name:	20190615_105719.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	285991

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Just spent a few days backpacking in the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone River. Sheds and skulls abound, and because it's in a national park you can view them and handle them, but you can't take them. Pretty cool trip.

Name:	20190613_133455.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	285986

Name:	20190613_160732.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	285987

Name:	20190614_112920.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	285988

Name:	20190614_125112.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	285989

Name:	20190614_134432.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	285990

Name:	20190615_105719.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	285991
    Cool! Great pics!

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Hiking through black canyon of the Yellowstone in the park has a ridiculous amount of elk sheds as it is a migratory route. There are a couple of huge ones that stick out of both sides of large tree trunks. Just don't try and sneak some out because the park randomly puts transmitters in them as it is illegal to shed hunt in the national park. Have always wanted to find a moose shed.
    .... where did you guys hike yeahman? Been awhile but we did a one day from ? out to Gardiner for something like 26ish miles.(a bit above suspension bridge and ranger station)Always wanted to go back with a pfd and water wings and "float" some sections. So many sheds in that corridor. Also I heard things have changed since land changed hands about being able to hike into Gardiner on that trail.

Edit. Want to say hellroaring.
    Last edited by lifelinksplit; 06-16-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I stick to my 110 acres but I have found the occasional one on the side of the road when I'm in the truck (sitting up higher than the Subaru). I know there are people who come onto my land and hunt down by the river. Kinda pisses me off but it's hard for me to control as the house is set back a half a mile. I can see them with binoculars but I'm not always in the mood to hop in the side-by-side and chase them off besides, they are usually families that live up or down the river out for a walk and shed hunting as they go so it's not as bad as total random people.

Maybe fire off a few warning shots?

Great to see the Yeahman Family doing cool stuff. Those kids will remember that trip for the rest of their lives.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I know the velvet is used for medicinal purposes, not sure about mature antlers.

Some people make "antler traps" where they feed the deer. I'm not that serious about wanting them. I just enjoy the "treasure hunt" aspect of finding them while out for a walk.

Spent about an hour down by the river this morning with no luck - wasn't really expecting much as most of the bucks still have their antlers (saw a small band of bucks when I was down there). Honestly Big Daddy could have dumped them anywhere over the 1000 of acres of wheat fields that surround me. I'll look on the hillside later today - I've had luck up there before.

Speaking of the river.... still dismayed at how much it changed course and the tonnage of rocks that were deposited on my land. Absolutely crazy. It's a good 4ft high (the rock bar that wasn't there last summer). Here is a picture I took standing at the new edge of the river looking back at the bank where I place my pump. Last year the river came right up to the bank and ran a good 2-3ft deep (less by the end of summer). I will def. be needing a longer suction hose this year.

Name:	WP_006828.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	706.7 KB 
ID:	224975

Here's a pic of what was my neighbor's fence:

Name:	WP_006829.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	224976

The river giveth.... and she taketh away.......
    Neighbors have lots more space for their walks under the high water mark!

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Neighbors have lots more space for their walks under the high water mark!
    and this year is a whole 'nother scene!

They lost even more land and fence (didn't set it back much from where they had lost the one the year before). That river has done gone crazy the last two years and now the flow is down to nothing despite our good snow pack. My guess is they are diverting the flow upstream. Going to have to put a call into the water master to find out what's what.

The three or four sheds I've found have all been while dove hunting.

I didn't know there was such a dedicated shed hunting culture. I'd always assumed "shed huntin'" was code for "lookin' for some 'shrooms growin' outta a cowpie"
    Last edited by CS2-6; 06-17-2019 at 02:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    .... where did you guys hike yeahman? Been awhile but we did a one day from ? out to Gardiner for something like 26ish miles.(a bit above suspension bridge and ranger station)Always wanted to go back with a pfd and water wings and "float" some sections. So many sheds in that corridor. Also I heard things have changed since land changed hands about being able to hike into Gardiner on that trail.

Edit. Want to say hellroaring.
    We went in at the Hellroaring Creek trailhead, camped at 1R1 first night, second night camped at 1Y4 past Crevice Lake, day hiked down canyon to Knowles Falls from there (very cool at high water), then hiked out to the Blacktail Deer Creek trailhead where we had our other car parked. Total on my GPS was 23 miles (including the 3.8 mile detour at Hellroaring Creek which was too high to ford). The trail that used to go all the way to Gardiner did get closed, but they recently routed a new trail to Forest Service land. The ranger told me the only map to reflect the change so far is this one on Natural Atlas. He said it was more of a grind up to that TH so that's why we decided to go out at Blacktail. (Which was kind of a grind in itself but maybe not as much.)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Great to see the Yeahman Family doing cool stuff. Those kids will remember that trip for the rest of their lives.
    Heh, yeah, they had a great time, and what they will probably remember most is this snake that buzzed a warning at me from about sixteen inches off the trail as I walked by. My oldest screamed and jumped back and prevented the others from traipsing by. Later it really sunk in how lucky we were nobody got snake bit down there 8 miles from the nearest trailhead with no cell service and having not seen another hiker all day. Funny being always so hyper bear aware in Yellowstone, and then this little guy could have done some real damage if he'd wanted to. We all had pretty fucked up dreams that night in the tent.

Name:  20190615_154050.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  134.4 KB

Dang..... got two 3-point bucks locking antlers in the back yard and neither have dropped so much as one. Come on boys! It's March... shed those things already!