Ban tackle football before high school?

Thoughts about banning tackle football before high school? (CTE concerns)

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbe...200187369.html

“McCarty cited a Boston University School of Medicine study released in September that found players who participated in tackle football before age 12 experienced more behavior and cognitive problems in life than players who started playing later.

The study showed those who participated before age 12 were twice as likely to have “problems with behavioral regulation, apathy and executive functioning” and three times as likely to experience “clinically-elevated depression scores.”

(FWIW, I played when I was 12-13 and was a starting WR on a Pop Warner team ranked #2 in the country. I didn’t think it helped much with learning to play. AFAIK, I don’t have CTE or depression, but I did likely receive 2-3 undiagnosed concussions while playing.)

I would support that. I wouldn't have prevented my kids from plyaing if they really wanted to, but I'm glad they chose sports with a lower incidence of concussion. And even then, I know that parents pushing kids often leads them to take risks they would otherwise avoid. Our kids want to act like their heroes, but we don't let them party like Johnny Cash, and we shouldn't let them hit like James Harrison.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

I'd support it, with the delusion that it could maybe save on school spending.

However our society has become a bunch of dipshit parents that can barely afford to live vicariously through their kids.

So thinking it's not going to happen.

It might turn out that Texans are actually smart.

Do we really need another ban because life is dangerous? Tell your kids to play another sport, and recognize that there will always be people that like dangerous things... (skiing, cliff-diving, guns, unprotected sex, driving fast, drugs, fast food, whatev)
    https://GearLobo.com
    "Good things come to those who bait"
    My greatest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

let's wait until the kids are large enough to inflict real damage to one another before teaching them how to properly tackle/be tackled

Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    Do we really need another ban because life is dangerous? Tell your kids to play another sport, and recognize that there will always be people that like dangerous things... (skiing, cliff-diving, guns, unprotected sex, driving fast, drugs, fast food, whatev)
    A ban is not likely, but the point is probably to educate people.

What other “all-American” activity engaged in by millions of kids has a study concluding that it causes brain damage? Glue sniffing? Eating lead paint?

What else for kids under 14 has been banned?
    Riding in back of pickups?

cel phones?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    A ban is not likely, but the point is probably to educate people.

What other “all-American” activity engaged in by millions of kids has a study concluding that it causes brain damage? Glue sniffing? Eating lead paint?

What else for kids under 14 has been banned?
    Riding in back of pickups?
    So is it really your job to be the person that "educates" everybody else?

Pretty sure everybody knows that football is dangerous. If you choose not to participate, God bless. If you don't want your kids to play, then don't let em.
    https://GearLobo.com
    "Good things come to those who bait"
    My greatest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Ban football after age 16 would provide a better outcome. In my experience coaching middle school and frosh/soph football for more than a decade dangerous play doesn't really start until HS varsity. There just aren't that many big hits prior to HS varsity and college football is exponentially more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Ban football after age 16 would provide a better outcome. In my experience coaching middle school and frosh/soph football for more than a decade dangerous play doesn't really start until HS varsity. There just aren't that many big hits prior to HS varsity and college football is exponentially more dangerous.
    I guess you're not coaching in San Antonio!
    https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...ed-5190766.php

That’s bad coaching but it will not make the game much more dangerous at that age. Big hit more likely to make them cry than dizzy. Bad coaching like that has a more significant affect on mental outcome imo.

In fact, I was specifically hired to clean up coach behavior at the frosh soph level.

So is it really your job to be the person that "educates" everybody else?

Pretty sure everybody knows that football is dangerous. If you choose not to participate, God bless. If you don't want your kids to play, then don't let em.
    You are “pretty sure everybody knows.” Well, shit, that ends a discussion right there.

Nobody else here has played, coached, or otherwise gives a shit about whether the developing information allows football to remain a viable youth sport...

That makes sense but the information I’ve read is that repeated smaller blows (subconcussive hits) create a potential for brain damage even without bigger blows.

“Ryan Tierney, an Athletic Training researcher and expert on concussion at Temple University, presented research showing that numerous subconcussive hits lead to changes between pre and post functional MRIs (F-MRIs) as well as changes in a neuropsychological testing, such as ImPACT1. Research by Tierney and his colleagues shows repeat head balls from a 25 mph soccer ball — similar to a routine hit to a lineman in a football game — led to subtle changes in the vestibular and ocular-motor systems for up to 48 hours 2,3. Loss or injury to the vestibular system can lead to dizziness or balance issues.

Tierney states, “we now know that the stress on the brain from these low-level impacts can accumulate over time and may lead to problems.” The question now becomes how many subconcussive hits are too many and how should individuals, parents, coaches, and the medical community use this new research in deciding if it is safe for athletes to return to play?”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.phill...ml%3famphtml=y

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    That makes sense but the information I’ve read is that repeated smaller blows (subconcussive hits) create a potential for brain damage even without bigger blows.

“Ryan Tierney, an Athletic Training researcher and expert on concussion at Temple University, presented research showing that numerous subconcussive hits lead to changes between pre and post functional MRIs (F-MRIs) as well as changes in a neuropsychological testing, such as ImPACT1. Research by Tierney and his colleagues shows repeat head balls from a 25 mph soccer ball — similar to a routine hit to a lineman in a football game — led to subtle changes in the vestibular and ocular-motor systems for up to 48 hours 2,3. Loss or injury to the vestibular system can lead to dizziness or balance issues.

Tierney states, “we now know that the stress on the brain from these low-level impacts can accumulate over time and may lead to problems.” The question now becomes how many subconcussive hits are too many and how should individuals, parents, coaches, and the medical community use this new research in deciding if it is safe for athletes to return to play?”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.phill...ml%3famphtml=y
    Dr Ann McKee, Boston University who has been on the forefront of CTE research (also a huge GB Packer fan and the sister of a D3 All American QB) has been talking about sub concussive blows from the get go. A Neuro Pathologist she has seen the brains of O lineman with little evidence of concussions having severe CTE.

nothing like black text on a dark blue background for easy reading

Wanna make the game safer for kids?
    Take away all pads and helmets
    Don’t let anybody play if they weigh more than 100 lbs(before HS) or 150 lbs.(HS)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Dr Ann McKee, Boston University who has been on the forefront of CTE research (also a huge GB Packer fan and the sister of a D3 All American QB) has been talking about sub concussive blows from the get go. A Neuro Pathologist she has seen the brains of O lineman with little evidence of concussions having severe CTE.
    And yet many people didn’t know that and focused on concussions over subconcussive impacts.

131 our of 165 former HS, college and pro players’ brains examined showed evidence of brain trauma.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...w-study-shows/

Do the research
    Publish the findings broadly
    Let people make informed choices
    Come up with ways to make the game safer

I like football. My favorite player all-time is Ronnie Lott. I miss seeing NFL players knock the snot out of each other, but knowing what we know - changes have to be made based on current studies.

come across the 49th, substitute minor Hockey for football and welcome to Canada eh?

But football, hockey, pro wrestling, soccer, Its really all about the repetative concussion thing

even skiing i was in a situation recently where someone fell BC skiing and suffered a mild concussion, they were a little shaken at the time it wasn't really much of a fall from what I could see but but suddenly they had cognative issues, they suddenly had a lot of trouble skiing, they couldn't even figure out where to turn and wanted to follow someone.

of course nobody in the group one of whom was a HC proffesional thot "concussion" the person with the concussion never said anything and didn't know, didn't figure it out until at least a day later,

I later found out it was their fourth concussion

I always use one at the hill but I never used to wear a helmet in the BC ... I'm going to carry one now
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ban tackle football before high school?

Had a kid on the JC swim team get dizzy and wobbly yesterday after swimming 200 fly. He’s not the brightest kid and has some learning difficulties. We sat him down and got the trainer. Trainer said the same thing as me. “You don’t look bad and your color is good.” What was interesting is the trainer said only a few things can cause the symptoms so if he didn’t have some of the signs then we have to narrow it down. We gave him a granola bar and a protein drink.. He swam 800 IM an hour later. I think it was the first time he’d ever competed that hard and it scared him.

People are really bad at appreciating risk. Children and youth are even worse. Some things need to be regulated, particular things with a strong evidence base.

I find it humours when people take offence to the notion. I mean, here is something that is going to have the potential to improve the quality of life for people (who are unable to make educated decisions for themselves) and reduce risk. yet, at the same time the regulation will not have a deleterious on the sport or opportunities for youth.

despite the blind calls of "freedom" you live in one of the most regulated countries in the world. Its ludicrous to think that harm reduction initiatives are somehow an infringement... particularly in the context of minors.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Had a kid on the JC swim team get dizzy and wobbly yesterday after swimming 200 fly. He’s not the brightest kid and has some learning difficulties. We sat him down and got the trainer. Trainer said the same thing as me. “You don’t look bad and your color is good.” What was interesting is the trainer said only a few things can cause the symptoms so if he didn’t have some of the signs then we have to narrow it down. We gave him a granola bar and a protein drink.. He swam 800 IM an hour later. I think it was the first time he’d ever competed that hard and it scared him.
    Do you have hard water where you are? Maybe he got a concussion diving in
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.