Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Wow, was feeling good so decided to do a short walk. Guess I'm not as far along as I thought. I was out of breath just walking a quarter mile and now I need a nap. Damn.

The other thing they didn't tell you--if you lost weight after the surgery (I lost 10# in a week after spine surgery w rib fractures) you will gain it back and then more; the weight you lost is muscle, the weight you gain fat. You have to work hard to get the muscle back and get rid of the fat. All this due to the change in metabolism--from catabolic (tearing down muscle to provide energy for healing) to anabolic (building new tissue at the surgery site) to baseline.

I had my thoracic spine fused for fracture, also acetabular fracture (minor). Neurosurgeon and orthopedist visit me after the spine surgery, both tell me everything is fine. I decide getting up and walking around would be a good idea which I do with no trouble with my wife's help. Only later do the PT and OT come by and tell me that I have to log roll to get out of bed and have to keep weight off the bad leg for 6 weeks. No harm done, but it seems earlier instruction would have been nice. I guess they figured I was too banged up to want to get out of bed, but they were wrong.

I was telling my wife that I would never go into a nursing home--lying around watching TV, reading, and playing with the computer is no life. She pointed out that that's what I'm doing now.j

We need an update from WMD

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Another spine thread: spondylolisthesis surgery

Tomorrow is 2 weeks since surgery and I go see the surgeon to get stitches out and hear from him what is next.

I'd say I'm doing really well. Crazy thing is I'm still exhausted and have no stamina. I walked a mile on Friday without getting out of breath, so decided to try a 3 mile loop Saturday. I made it and didn't hurt my back but had to take a nap afterwards and slept most of yesterday. I had to laugh because it is a super flat easy walk I do 4 times a week with my dog when I don't have time to drive to a hike. Felt like I climbed Everest.

I still am not bending or lifting anything but had to go to a meeting tonight and drove myself there. First time in a car or our in public since surgery. Wow. I didn't realize how much twisting you do driving. I'm sore and exhausted now but think I'm fine.

How are you doing?

Oh yeah, first time in real pants (not sweats) since surgery and they are too tight. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Tomorrow is 2 weeks since surgery and I go see the surgeon to get stitches out and hear from him what is next.

I'd say I'm doing really well. Crazy thing is I'm still exhausted and have no stamina. I walked a mile on Friday without getting out of breath, so decided to try a 3 mile loop Saturday. I made it and didn't hurt my back but had to take a nap afterwards and slept most of yesterday. I had to laugh because it is a super flat easy walk I do 4 times a week with my dog when I don't have time to drive to a hike. Felt like I climbed Everest.

I still am not bending or lifting anything but had to go to a meeting tonight and drove myself there. First time in a car or our in public since surgery. Wow. I didn't realize how much twisting you do driving. I'm sore and exhausted now but think I'm fine.

How are you doing?

Oh yeah, first time in real pants (not sweats) since surgery and they are too tight. Damn.
    pants are probably tight because you're full of shit, literally

Another spine thread: spondylolisthesis surgery

Glad I don’t have to wear “pants.” I’m athleisure almost 100%. lol.. I do have some stretchy faux casual dress style pants that were on sale for $200. Love them.. I hate jeans now except for working.

My back and upper legs feel good. 5 years better at least.
    Fatigue is gone and my mental state is much improved.
    Left calf still numb but, today, I was able to walk with balance like walking a balance beam. That slow; people look at me funny. Even then my ankle still gives out after a while.

Later is weights and 30 minute spin.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    pants are probably tight because you're full of shit, literally
    I am definitely full of shit, but my bowels are working fine.

Tip for protecting the surgical wound: you need to pad the wound for a long time to prevent irritation and pain. What worked for me was gauze pad covered with surgical tape. Durable and comfortable

Thanks for the tip. That area is really sensitive.

Doc said to not do much for a few more weeks but then can start PT. Also gave me a prescription for gabopentin as I still have some nerve pain. Not sure I want to take it. Anybody used it?

Plastic surgical tape. Not paper.

I gave Gaba to may cat last fall. Kept him calm for hours. I wanted to try it but it's expensive! I did take my mom's cat's Tramadol. Worked ok.. I prefer valium.

Thanks for the tip. That area is really sensitive.

Doc said to not do much for a few more weeks but then can start PT. Also gave me a prescription for gabopentin as I still have some nerve pain. Not sure I want to take it. Anybody used it?
    I'm taking 2700 mg/day. I still have nerve pain. I'm going to stop it soon and see if I notice a difference. (Taper it off, not stop it cold.) I've taken it before at much lower doses and it didn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm taking 2700 mg/day. I still have nerve pain. I'm going to stop it soon and see if I notice a difference. (Taper it off, not stop it cold.) I've taken it before at much lower doses and it didn't do anything.
    Damn, sorry to hear you still have nerve pain! Does the Gaba make you sleepy or foggy? Sucks it isn't helping.

I'm back to life finally (working half days in the office) and my back is doing pretty well. Nerve pain isn't too bad, although still there. I'm going to give it some time before starting the Gaba to see if I really need it.

Yesterday I felt like I'd be a cripple all summer or maybe forever. Today I have hope and feel like I may be biking and paddling (easy) in June. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2313.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	283562
    Let the fun continue. Ok, my new goal is back in some action by mid August.

Damn, sorry to hear you still have nerve pain! Does the Gaba make you sleepy or foggy? Sucks it isn't helping.

I'm back to life finally (working half days in the office) and my back is doing pretty well. Nerve pain isn't too bad, although still there. I'm going to give it some time before starting the Gaba to see if I really need it.

Yesterday I felt like I'd be a cripple all summer or maybe forever. Today I have hope and feel like I may be biking and paddling (easy) in June. We'll see what tomorrow brings...
    the gabapentin made me a little drowsy, although less than a good meal. I stopped it and didn't get any worse. Maybe it works for some people, or maybe it's placebo, or maybe it's so docs have something to prescribe that isn't any opiate and isn't over the counter.

After 90 days for fractures to heal I started naproxen again--that made a big difference. (At this point my nerve pain is from my chronic spinal stenosis, not much from the fracture/surgery).

PS I just noticed there are five threads in this forum with new posts today. I think we all need to be more careful.

How you guys doin? WMD? OG?

Had an ESI, doing pretty well.

I've got an awesome PT who is helping me address causes of my back problems and she is helping make my surgery a success. I feel much better than I have in years but still am not very active as I relearn movement patterns for long term Heath. You?