Olympic rules and regulations?

So I remember years ago when snowboarding became an Olympic sport, they talked about how Burton made an uniform and everyone was supposed to wear and can’t wear any personal stuff except for helmet and goggles...

I know you are not supposed to advertise corporation by the way of logo or stickers....

Can someone please tell me if that’s for the Olympic Games wide or something FIS made it up for what they control: ski events??

I also saw Korean skeleton medal winner painted his helmet to look like an Ironman helmet. Can athletes paint anything on their equipment? Isn’t it considered advertising for Ironman franchises?

Just asking for a friend...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

this is likely copyright infringement rather than advertising.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

And figure skaters can wear whatever they want? Why can’t snowboarders wear what they want instead of white Burton suit?

If no advertising, then what is up with the one ski with a logo adorned ski strap around it for the ski racers in the leader's box? I've always found the, "I've gotta hold my ski up to my face in every photo/interview/celebration to make my spancers happy" pretty damn tacky.

IOC relaxed advertising rules for Sochi ... not sure if that regulatory change has any relation to this discussion, but I do vaguely recall that occurring.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Visa and Bounty spancered Shiffrin and Vonn with commercial but not on the podium. Atomic and Head gets free ride thou.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    And figure skaters can wear whatever they want? Why can’t snowboarders wear what they want instead of white Burton suit?

That space suit was terrible. Who the fuck designed that?

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    If no advertising, then what is up with the one ski with a logo adorned ski strap around it for the ski racers in the leader's box? I've always found the, "I've gotta hold my ski up to my face in every photo/interview/celebration to make my spancers happy" pretty damn tacky.
    Of course it's advertising. Where do you think the money for the Olympic programs comes from? The days when the athletes were independently wealthy amateurs has been over for a very long time. The ski makers support racers to advertise the brand when they win--the purpose is not to win; the purpose is to sell skis. At least with sponsorships some of the athletes can get paid and the rest can at least afford to train. Ever seen a Nascar car?
    Sport is a money making enterprise, like everything else.

As far as the ski--the ski logo has to line up with the skier's face, which means using a dedicated ski for most events, not the skis the winner raced on.

I noticed that some of the skiers are holding a single ski. Blatant in your face and not an 'I just skied a run and need to take my equipment with me' sort of thing.

youve clearly never paid much attention to racing. Podium skis are never true race skis, always the non fis rec version that is handed to them in the finish.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Of course it's advertising. Where do you think the money for the Olympic programs comes from? The days when the athletes were independently wealthy amateurs has been over for a very long time. The ski makers support racers to advertise the brand when they win--the purpose is not to win; the purpose is to sell skis. At least with sponsorships some of the athletes can get paid and the rest can at least afford to train. Ever seen a Nascar car?
    Sport is a money making enterprise, like everything else.

As far as the ski--the ski logo has to line up with the skier's face, which means using a dedicated ski for most events, not the skis the winner raced on.
    this ^^

It should be noted those of you whom are whining about the blatant advertising by the atheletes who happen to be wearing a bunch of logo's are likely doing so from a cubicle SO does your cubical have any logo's on it ... have you given in to the big bucks too ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I noticed some of the long track skaters rocking the two tone Oakley glasses. (I don't normally use the word "rocking" except in the context of getting a baby to sleep, but it seems appropriate to use here.)

Anyone else remember the days when the olympic games were limited to only amateur athletes? Or at least that was the stated intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

The idea was that only gentlemen would compete--Etonians and the like. People who didn't have to work for a living. They wanted to keep out the riff raff--like Jim Thorpe.

olympic or world cup events are a TV show, its big money now, they are spancered by companies that want return on their $$$$$$$ so they want to control what logo's are shown on the tube

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle18275803/

when the olympics came to Vangroovy ^^ in 2010 they were telling any business with Olympic name and symbol in their name to cease and desist using their trademark, including 6 brothers from greece who make pizza
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    youve clearly never paid much attention to racing. Podium skis are never true race skis, always the non fis rec version that is handed to them in the finish.
    Except when the racer picks up the skis they just stepped out of, brushes the snow off and holds it up.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Anyone else remember the days when the olympic games were limited to only amateur athletes? Or at least that was the stated intent.
    Ya I remember racing back in the 90’s

All the Russian German etc skiers had their “occupation” listed as “Soldier”. Not one of them actually did service outside their 2 wk basic. They were paid to ski.

We on the other hand were carded and allowed to receive all of $200 a month from our govt.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The idea was that only gentlemen would compete--Etonians and the like. People who didn't have to work for a living. They wanted to keep out the riff raff--like Jim Thorpe.
    QFT. The amateur label has always been more about marketing than anything else

#harmonyfade

I think speed skaters had personalized helmet too. I guess it’s just FIS being nazi and controlling everything including clothing instead of Olympic wide rule.

But yeah talk about anything else related to Olympic on this thread that doesn’t have its own topic.