Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    According to the Czechs I was skiing with yesterday, she’s the daughter of a famous Czech rock star, was a child prodigy, and is regular tabloid fodder in her home country.

I love this story
    kinda feel bad for the other lady skiers that have been skiing for so long but c'est la vie I guess and looks like the ante has been upped on the ladies side which is never a bad thing
    skid luxury

Wait, I thought all you skiers were supposed to be "Silenced"?!?!?! I can hear you banging your keyboards from here!

her boyfriend is out borrowing somebody's snowboard right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Please explain how I'm out to lunch. Sure, after my post, it looks like the "borrowed skis" part of the story was exposed as fake news, which changes things. But still...

My point comes down to this: In the Olympic Super-G, did Ledecka outperform her own usual performances? Or did the rest of the pack underperform? Or a combination of both?

In Ledecka's own quote, she said she believes the rest of the pack "didn't risk a lot" and implied that "pressure" affected their performances negatively. To me, in any form of racing, playing it slow & safe is "underperforming".

I believe the rest of the pack can react to this outcome by stepping up their game to even higher levels in the future. I believe Ledecka (and Weirather) demonstrated that the rest of the pack could be at a higher level right now, but they're not. What sucks in ski racing is that by taking higher risks, you can win or get injured badly enough to affect your future performances and potential.

Easy. She's not just a "snowboarder", she ski races on the world cup. You're out to lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Easy. She's not just a "snowboarder", she ski races on the world cup. You're out to lunch.
    I kinda agree. The commentators also mentioned that while she had shown pace in certain sections in previous races, she had never really nailed a run. Regardless i think its a fantastic story, and her disbelieve was fantastic
    Last edited by nortonwhis; 02-18-2018 at 11:16 AM.

I think she was being humble, unlike Vonn, saying that others must have made mistakes instead of saying I was faster than others.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Most skiers are far more aligned with snowboarding than skiing these days. Fat twin tip skis and baggy clothes. Heck, 15 years ago most skiers still wore Roffe pants.

Snowboard gate skiing is a niche sport which is basically skiing anyway.

Agree with the last four posts. Ledecka started skiing at age four, snowboarding a little after.
    Started racing FIS alpine and snowboard at age 15; the minimum.
    Been racing World Cup in both for several years.
    Took a seventh at Lake Louis this year.
    Mentally and technically the sports aren't much different.
    She spends 3 weeks in training blocks with each.

All that said, what a performance on the big stage! And how much time did she lose when she opened up and caught all that air on the last jump?

I agree Ledecka is "not just a snowboarder". I never said that. I'm saying the Women's Super-G competitors didn't compete hard, and the whole event was completely fucked, and those 2 factors combined so that OF COURSE any random could win. Given the way the organizers ran the Women's Super-G event, what's the point of this event, and how can it be taken seriously?

People want heartwarming stories, so the media fed you one. But the story here is that before Men's Super-G, the men get 4 high-speed runs on the terrain (but with Downhill gates setup), and then the men do the Super-G race (on same terrain, but with new Super-G gates set up) after they've already gotten a decent feel for the terrain at high speeds. So the male competitors are given 4 laps to gain confidence, and then they can compete hard in Super-G.

But before Women's Super-G, the women get ZERO high-speed runs on that terrain. All the women get is a <1-hour slow reconnaissance "walk-thru" of the terrain and can see the Super-G gate positions, and then the women are expected to immediately race that terrain at full speed without any high-speed practice runs. No wonder very few of the women competed hard on their very first high-speed run on that terrain! The door is wide open for any skier to push the risk on terrain they've never skied fast on before, compete hard when no one else is, and then win---even if you're not one of the best skiers there.

Vonn called it in advance before the Super-G race---she said Women's Super-G is the event where any surprise random person can win. Shiffrin didn't even participate in this fucked up event---she'd rather wait for the Downhill event where they'll let her take 3 practice runs before she competes hard in the real competition, where it's less likely that any random skier can win. And afterwards, Ledecka told the media how screwed-up the event was ("...All the other girls didn't risk a lot. There must be a lot of pressure on them..."), but the media just buries it and spins it into heartwarming shit for you guys to eat up.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I agree Ledecka is "not just a snowboarder". I never said that.
    That's right, you said this:

Yeah, it's hard to take Women's Ski Racing Super-G seriously when the "competitors" just let a snowboarder show up, borrow a pair of skis, then win gold---who then calls all of them out for not competing hard enough to take a risk. ...And also when the "competitors" let the bronze medal go to a nation of population only 37,000 (Liechtenstein).
    Which is actually even more out to lunch. She's not "just a snowboarder who showed up and borrowed a pair of skis". You sir, are, and have been seriously, out to fucking lunch on this. But whatever, post more stuff.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Wait, I thought Ledecka just walked up to Schiff and said, "mind if I borrow your boards?" Schiff, "no prob, help yourself, just make sure to tune and wax 'em when you're done."

And then Ledecka snagged a bib, and just rolled into the Super G start house, and threw down a run for the ages. Kinda bummed to read that this wasn't her first time on skis. Oh well.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

She shoulda got the grab on that last air to be legit.

I agree Ledecka is "not just a snowboarder". I never said that. I'm saying the Women's Super-G competitors didn't compete hard, and the whole event was completely fucked, and those 2 factors combined so that OF COURSE any random could win. Given the way the organizers ran the Women's Super-G event, what's the point of this event, and how can it be taken seriously?

People want heartwarming stories, so the media fed you one. But the story here is that before Men's Super-G, the men get 4 high-speed runs on the terrain (but with Downhill gates setup), and then the men do the Super-G race (on same terrain, but with new Super-G gates set up) after they've already gotten a decent feel for the terrain at high speeds. So the male competitors are given 4 laps to gain confidence, and then they can compete hard in Super-G.

But before Women's Super-G, the women get ZERO high-speed runs on that terrain. All the women get is a <1-hour slow reconnaissance "walk-thru" of the terrain and can see the Super-G gate positions, and then the women are expected to immediately race that terrain at full speed without any high-speed practice runs. No wonder very few of the women competed hard on their very first high-speed run on that terrain! The door is wide open for any skier to push the risk on terrain they've never skied fast on before, compete hard when no one else is, and then win---even if you're not one of the best skiers there.

Vonn called it in advance before the Super-G race---she said Women's Super-G is the event where any surprise random person can win. Shiffrin didn't even participate in this fucked up event---she'd rather wait for the Downhill event where they'll let her take 3 practice runs before she competes hard in the real competition, where it's less likely that any random skier can win. And afterwards, Ledecka told the media how screwed-up the event was ("...All the other girls didn't risk a lot. There must be a lot of pressure on them..."), but the media just buries it and spins it into heartwarming shit for you guys to eat up.

How did you know we're into eating heartwarming shit? You must be psychic.

And do you really believe that "the women super G competitors didn't compete hard"?
    Did we watch the same race? Everyone was charging. 100%.
    Lebecka was just being humble. Man this is the Olympics. Athletes either gave it their all or choked.
    Vonn would have won if she didn't go powder skiing. She was so hungry they fed her raw meat at the finish!
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 02-18-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Haha!. Mute grab for the style points. Can't wait to see Ledecka crush the DH. FKNA!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    ...Everyone was charging. 100%...
    I disagree. I watched the whole event, and it looked to me like Vonn & Ledecka competed very hard and tried to push it close to their limits of control. It looked to me like Weirather competed medium-hard. And Veith and most others did not compete hard---for example, Veith knows she can get good times without pushing hard because she's so good in many other dimensions of racing performance other than the "pushing hard" dimension.

Who knows why...maybe the pack would have pushed harder if they had gotten practice runs for confidence, or maybe if they hadn't seen Vonn get burned by pushing hard on the very first run of the event, or maybe if some of the athletes weren't still recovering from past injuries. Who knows?

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

...She's not "just a snowboarder who showed up and borrowed a pair of skis"...
    I agree with your statement there. I never said that. That's the 2nd time you implied I called her "just a snowboarder". I did not.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    And she did it on a pair of skis borrowed from mikaela Shiffrin.....

Attachment 224567

czech-skier-steals-olympic-gold-in-womens-super-g-on-mikaela-shiffrins-skis
    She was so unprepared for the win that she had no shorter skis available to pose with.

...And also when the "competitors" let the bronze medal go to a nation of population only 37,000 (Liechtenstein).
    You mean the one who won the Super G discipline title last year? The one who has finished top ten in the overall, Super G, and Downhill for the past 4 seasons and will most likely do so this season?

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    You mean the one who won the Super G discipline title last year? The one who has finished top ten in the overall, Super G, and Downhill for the past 4 seasons and will most likely do so this season?
    Yes, that's what I mean. I believe a competitor like, say for example, the Federal Republic of Germany has the resources to establish a longterm national program that could be much, much stronger than national programs of some other competitors like, say the Principality of Liechtenstein. But instead, they don't care enough to try harder. Germany is a good example here, because they did indeed care enough to try hard in International Soccer when they decided to overhaul their whole soccer program from youth development all the way up to their professional leagues, and pretty much everyone agrees that their new longterm efforts achieved effective results in soccer against their international competitors. Germany tried harder with their longterm national program for soccer, then they had more success, duh. I'm not seeing that high standard of competition among the nations competing for Olympic Women's Super-G.

I disagree. I watched the whole event, and it looked to me like Vonn & Ledecka competed very hard and tried to push it close to their limits of control. It looked to me like Weirather competed medium-hard. And Veith and most others did not compete hard---for example, Veith knows she can get good times without pushing hard because she's so good in many other dimensions of racing performance other than the "pushing hard" dimension.

Who knows why...maybe the pack would have pushed harder if they had gotten practice runs for confidence, or maybe if they hadn't seen Vonn get burned by pushing hard on the very first run of the event, or maybe if some of the athletes weren't still recovering from past injuries. Who knows?

Agree that everyone learned from Vonn's mistake. Other than that:
    You are out to breakfast AND lunch.

The percentages of Alpine Skiing race starters who got DNF for missing a gate so far in this Olympics:

37% Men's Alpine Combined
    31% Women's Slalom
    29% Men's Giant Slalom
    23% Women's Giant Slalom
    21% Men's Super-G
    2% Women's Super-G *** Wow, that's very different from the others! ***

Hey guys, what's your theory for the BIG difference in the DNF rate of Women's Super-G compared to the other events listed above?

Ledecka's theory seems to be "All the other girls didn't risk a lot. There must be a lot of pressure on them." My theory is they didn't compete hard near their personal limits. What's your theory?
    note: Men's Downhill not listed above, because it's a different animal for risk in that its low 4% DNF rate is after 3 days of 3 training runs.
    Last edited by Vitamin I; 02-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.

You must be completely ignorant of WC racing, track conditions slope and course set ups... just shut the fuck up before you make yourself look even more stupid.

The percentages of Alpine Skiing race starters who got DNF for missing a gate so far in this Olympics:

37% Men's Alpine Combined
    31% Women's Slalom
    29% Men's Giant Slalom
    23% Women's Giant Slalom
    21% Men's Super-G
    2% Women's Super-G *** Wow, that's very different from the others! ***

Hey guys, what's your theory for the BIG difference in the DNF rate of Women's Super-G compared to the other events listed above?

Ledecka's theory seems to be "All the other girls didn't risk a lot. There must be a lot of pressure on them." My theory is they didn't compete hard near their personal limits. What's your theory?
    note: Men's Downhill not listed above, because it's a different animal for risk in that its low 4% DNF rate is after 3 days of 3 training runs.
    How many competitors were in the womens SG, and in the mens GS?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    And pull a Lindsey Jacob Ellis...doh!