Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    I mean, running shoes are as personal as a ski boot, and the wrong shoe can fuck you up just as fast as a bad boot fit. So if you have running specialty near you, take advantage of it.

That said, my sordid past includes working in a running store... I supinate on one foot and use superfeet to even things out. If you underpronate a curved last with plenty of flex/grooves should help. I currently run in Nike Pegasus because I get them for free, but they are light, medium cush and have a real outsole that won’t deform if you have a janky footstrike/push-off. I’ll admit I don’t keep up with the free line anymore.

For similar options check out the Adidas Adizero Boston or Adios (Boston will be more versatile)... I always had a lot of luck putting soccer dudes in those. I’m a huge fan of the ASICS Gel DS trainer, and the ex-boss likes the Mizuno Shadow, especially if you use any kind of insert.

With the exception of the Pegasus, these are all pretty firm shoes that’ll play well on mondo or cinder... you might feel it on asphalt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I decided to try the Nike Streak LT 4s. Tried them on locally and loved the way they felt. Very little padding. Essentially a racing flat. I think they'll work for the track but not sure if I can pull off road runs in them - though I'll bet I do that fewer than 8 times per year. Chose them over the NB 1400 due to price and fit - Nike's were super cheap. 1400s are more versatile though.

We shall see. They were out of my size so I had to order them.

Which running shoes?

Thinking I may challenge my Achilles & Calf issues w some tentative return to running. Looking for shoe recs

Narrow, pronated, Flat feet. Asics Gel Kayano were my go to back in the day, but no idea what's good now
    Last edited by mcski; 07-10-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    I mean, running shoes are as personal as a ski boot, and the wrong shoe can fuck you up just as fast as a bad boot fit. So if you have running specialty near you, take advantage of it. ...
    ^^^ this cannot be overemphasized ^^^

It can probably mess you up worse than a bad boot fit.

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I've had Plantar fascitis from buying shitty runners that I had to take a year off for

IME what you save on cheap/wrong shoes can get eaten up in physio and it hurts too
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Which running shoes?

^^^this QFT....was doing a couple marathons a year.....along with 5 and 10K’s...got a real bad case of PF a couple years back from trying to wear those Nike Frees....haven’t run even a 5K since.

Last summer broke my foot, so this is the first summer in awhile my feet are actually feeling pretty good...but only for a few miles. Learned my lesson from the Nike Free disaster, I now go to a “Running Store” in town and they have me in some Saucony, which are feeling good so far albeit only for about 30 minutes.

Asics Kayano is my go to, and I also have a wide forefoot. The cushioning is probably softer than what you want though, from what you mentioned about an old injury. Recently tried some Nike Terra Kiger 5s and was surprised that they were wide enough in the met area up front. Low, lean, firm cushioning but present, good grip. They have too much tread for the road, but felt really great on trail. Arch support is minimal so your form will need to be on point.

For those of you battling plantar fasciitis, try doing a lot of sit and reach type stretching. Sit down, both legs straight and out in front, reach for your toes and pull your feet back. Keep your feet square, don't rotate inward. Modify it as well... reach a hand to the outside of the opposite foot and really open your foot up to the outside. E.g. right hand to left foot, grabbing just outside of your pinky toe. You might feel some fire up the back of your knee. If you do, work that stretch a few times a day until you feel an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ^^^ this cannot be overemphasized ^^^

It can probably mess you up worse than a bad boot fit.

...Thom
    While folks at a running shop can give you advice, only your bodies advice is worth a damn. I appreciate that they corrected my sizing approach, but their attempt to "correct" my pronation fucked my knees for a month after just a few short easy runs.

I've now run consistently for two years after their advice -- in either shoes with very mild stability or fully neutral without injury.

yes on fit and sizing being key....as far as construction i'm really impressed with scott. built super well....always been traditional going brooks, saucony...but these scotts i just picked up are very high quality.

*I test running shoes

FWIW, 2 factors:

A) does it fit well?

B) how does the rebound match your landing? Do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    yes on fit and sizing being key....as far as construction i'm really impressed with scott. built super well....always been traditional going brooks, saucony...but these scotts i just picked up are very high quality.
    How's the sizing on them? I'm a 13 in a lot of shoes, but buy 14 as well. Looking at the Scotts and most only go to 13. Conflicted on buying since returns aren't free.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    How's the sizing on them? I'm a 13 in a lot of shoes, but buy 14 as well. Looking at the Scotts and most only go to 13. Conflicted on buying since returns aren't free.
    If you like a roomy fit, I believe you are out of luck. 1.5 sizes up is where I found my sweet spot. The Kinabalu Enduro runs a little longer but narrow, so that might work.

i bought the kinabalu in my normal size 12 and they fit great...also tried the palini model - that ran long and wide.

I'm a recent fan of Topo Athletic. They have a Altra like fit (wide forefoot) but are more traditional wrt other aspects such as rocker. I have the HydroVenture 2 and UltraVenture, both of which are great and 4mm of drop. I think the Terraventure (same as Hydro but not waterproof) could be a good option as trail shoe. I don't know that much about their road shoes.

I used to have Peregrines but have disliked them more with each model since the 6 (7, 8, ISO). In general, I have a narrow heel but prefer a wide forefoot due to 6th toes from ski boots and the overall free feeling of the toes.

RED...
    watch out for snakes

26"

Quote Originally Posted by phattypowpow View Post
    I'm a recent fan of Topo Athletic. They have a Altra like fit (wide forefoot) but are more traditional wrt other aspects such as rocker. I have the HydroVenture 2 and UltraVenture, both of which are great and 4mm of drop. I think the Terraventure (same as Hydro but not waterproof) could be a good option as trail shoe. I don't know that much about their road shoes.

I used to have Peregrines but have disliked them more with each model since the 6 (7, 8, ISO). In general, I have a narrow heel but prefer a wide forefoot due to 6th toes from ski boots and the overall free feeling of the toes.
    These seem interesting. I developed a wide forefoot/sixth toe/tailor's bunion on one foot (that pretty much looks like auvgeek's on the last page), so I've suddenly had a lot more trouble finding shoes, esp. as I'm prone to sore achilles/plantar fascitis and so the zero drop shoes don't appeal to me. I'm always curious about more options with wide forefoots and greater than 0 drop.

Right now my only pair or running shoes that I really like in the forefoot is Gore Tex lined, so not exactly ideal for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    These seem interesting. I developed a wide forefoot/sixth toe/tailor's bunion on one foot (that pretty much looks like auvgeek's on the last page), so I've suddenly had a lot more trouble finding shoes, esp. as I'm prone to sore achilles/plantar fascitis and so the zero drop shoes don't appeal to me. I'm always curious about more options with wide forefoots and greater than 0 drop.

Right now my only pair or running shoes that I really like in the forefoot is Gore Tex lined, so not exactly ideal for summer.
    Sounds like the Topos could be worth trying for you. All the ones I've owned/tried have the same general fit (wide front, snug heel):

- UltraVenture - 5mm drop, lots of cushion. These are my go-to distance shoes. The only thing missing IMO is a rock plate.
    - HydroVenvture 2 - 3mm drop, medium cushion. Waterproof version of Terraventure 2. Has rock plate but modest cusion.
    - Mtn Racer - 5mm drop, same build as UltraVenture (taller stack). Basically an Ultraventure with a slightly snugger fit and stiffer midsole.

I contacted Topo asking if they could make a Ultraventure with a rock plate and they recommended the Mtn Racer. I did not feel the Mtn Racer had significantly better protection than the UV and did not feel as cushioned. Overall, the UV is my fav and I didn't think I would like a shoe with a tall stack (it's not as crazy as some of the others out there). Only when I'm going long and my feet get tender (fore/midfoot striker) and on rocky terrain does the lack of rock plate become apparent. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Sounds like I'm in a similar boat as you. I actually think I'm a 13.5 but no company makes half sizes that big. I got a killer deal on Scott running shoes awhile back, too bad the 13 was too short for my paws.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Sounds like I'm in a similar boat as you. I actually think I'm a 13.5 but no company makes half sizes that big. I got a killer deal on Scott running shoes awhile back, too bad the 13 was too short for my paws.
    Yeah, I'm a 13.5, too. Bummer the 13 in Scotts won't work. I like the rockered sole they have.

Quote Originally Posted by phattypowpow View Post
    Sounds like the Topos could be worth trying for you. All the ones I've owned/tried have the same general fit (wide front, snug heel):

- UltraVenture - 5mm drop, lots of cushion. These are my go-to distance shoes. The only thing missing IMO is a rock plate.
    - HydroVenvture 2 - 3mm drop, medium cushion. Waterproof version of Terraventure 2. Has rock plate but modest cusion.
    - Mtn Racer - 5mm drop, same build as UltraVenture (taller stack). Basically an Ultraventure with a slightly snugger fit and stiffer midsole.

I contacted Topo asking if they could make a Ultraventure with a rock plate and they recommended the Mtn Racer. I did not feel the Mtn Racer had significantly better protection than the UV and did not feel as cushioned. Overall, the UV is my fav and I didn't think I would like a shoe with a tall stack (it's not as crazy as some of the others out there). Only when I'm going long and my feet get tender (fore/midfoot striker) and on rocky terrain does the lack of rock plate become apparent. YMMV.
    Thanks I may give them a go. Have you ever used their road shoes? Despite being the same brand (Saucony), my road runners seem to bother my feet more than my trail runners, so they're up first for replacement though both will be done at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    RED...
    Actually, in runners, lime green is the fastest! So the only shoe that will work is:
    Name:  ZoomX.png
Views: 608
Size:  323.3 KB

https://store.nike.com/us/en_us/prod...bid=1071116059

Affordable too!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Got myself a pair of Topo Runventures based on this thread--have about 5 runs on them and like them quite a bit. I am coming from a more-minimal shoe and really like the small amount of added cushion while maintaining the zero drop. Definitely agree on the roomy toe-box comments - I am normally an E or EE and they fit me well in the forefoot while also having good heel hold.

Had not even heard of Topo before this thread so big thanks for the heads-up.

Seconded on the topo heads up; I’ve had limited success with altra but need the width, so I’m stoked to try out some topos...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I've been on Topo Runventure 2's since last fall. Definitely a fan.

at this point can we call the altra lone peak the s7 of trail running? too much tip taper, tails wash out on you, floppy, black and yellow