Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    at this point can we call the altra lone peak the s7 of trail running? too much tip taper, tails wash out on you, floppy, black and yellow
    I gave mine away after a few runs.

The red ones.

3 pages and no one's told you that yet. This place is losing its experts...
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    RED...
    CS2 is no expert at: reading.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    CS2 is no expert at: reading.
    Ha! Shit... I knew it impossible. I read about halfway through the first page and said "Jesus this tennis shoe talk is boring, fuck this!", so I ctrl+f for "red" and found 40 instances per page. So I ctrl+f for " red " and found zero instances on any of the pages. So I thought I was safe.

Apologies to SB. I beg forgiveness from the Community.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

I think we've moved past the OP's original question a year and half ago and are discussing running shoes generally, right?

In that vein, I know nothing about stack height or heel-toe drop, but I really like Hoka Speedgoat 3s that I recently picked up and am using in conjunction some Hoka Torrents (lighter, wider, mid-cushioned). I previously had some kind of quasi-minimalist Scarpas. Anyhow, I got the Speedgoats for longer runs and was interested to see what a max cushion shoe is like. After only a little time on Tahoe trails (often rocky with lots of vert), I love them. I love the plush cushion and rockered sole, especially on sustained downhills where my feet often take a beating. One of the downsides I read about max-cushioned shoes is "not being able to feel the trail." I've never really understood this because I've never really wanted to feel every pebble and pointy rock on my the soles of my feet, particularly during 10+ mile runs. Anyhow, I haven't had any problems.

In sum, I like the Speedgoat 3's and their fat cushioning, particularly on longer runs. YMMV.

One more thing. I picked up some HOKA recovery sandals a couple months ago. They are nearly as ugly as Crocs, but man are they f'ing sweet after long days of foot punishment running, climbing, or skiing.

Last edited by AKbruin; 08-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I think we've moved past the OP's original question a year and half ago and are discussing running shoes generally, right?

In that vein, I know nothing about stack height or heel-toe drop, but I really like Hoka Speedgoat 3s that I recently picked up and are using in conjunction some Hoka Torrents (lighter, wider, mid-cushioned). I previously had some kind of quasi-minimalist Scarpas. Anyhow, I got the Speedgoats for longer runs and was interested to see what a max cushion shoe is like. After only a little time on Tahoe trails (often rocky with lots of vert), I love them. I love the plush cushion and rockered sole, especially on sustained downhills where my feet often take a beating. One of the downsides I read about max-cushioned shoes is "not being able to feel the trail." I've never really understood this because I've never really wanted to feel every pebble and pointy rock on my the soles of my feet, particularly during 10+ mile runs. Anyhow, I haven't had any problems.

In sum, I like the Speedgoat 3's and their fat cushioning, particularly on longer runs. YMMV.

One more thing. I picked up some HOKA recovery sandals a couple months ago. They are nearly as ugly as Crocs, but man are they f'ing sweet after long days of foot punishment running, climbing, or skiing.
    We're like brothers! I love Speedgoats; I have V2 and V3. I got a pair of those recovery slides as a gift and I love them. I even have a dog that looks similar to yours!

Those sandals look cool, but $50! Fucking hell!

We're like brothers! I love Speedgoats; I have V2 and V3.
    Fucking love my Speedgoat 2s for all the reasons AK mentioned. Most versatile trail shoe I've had so long as you're not doing and legit scrambling. Smarty: Is the v3 noticeably different than v2? Supposed to be more stable in forefoot and heel, which would be nice.

I don't love typical Hokas for trail running. Too much stack/padding for me, but those Torrents are my current favorite shoe. Will be picking up a new pair soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Fucking love my Speedgoat 2s for all the reasons AK mentioned. Most versatile trail shoe I've had so long as you're not doing and legit scrambling. Smarty: Is the v3 noticeably different than v2? Supposed to be more stable in forefoot and heel, which would be nice.
    I dunno....the fit is a little different (very little), butthe ride feels the same to me. I was glad bc the keep screwing up the Clifton. I’m waiting on a pair of Rincon to see if they got it figured out. But the SG is figured out and they were smart enough not to mess with it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

We're like brothers! I love Speedgoats; I have V2 and V3. I got a pair of those recovery slides as a gift and I love them. I even have a dog that looks similar to yours!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Those sandals look cool, but $50! Fucking hell!
    I've been wearing Adidas Adilette shower sandals since roughly junior high in 1990. (Suck it, flip-flops.) They are great, but the Hokas are well worth it, even at twice the price. Try them on if you get the chance. They feel decadent.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I don't love typical Hokas for trail running. Too much stack/padding for me, but those Torrents are my current favorite shoe. Will be picking up a new pair soon.
    So the stack height on these is reasonable? They look a bit high compared with my Perrigrines which are approaching end of life.

5-6mm drop seems to be my sweet spot.

Time to check both these & the Topos out.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    So the stack height on these is reasonable? They look a bit high compared with my Perrigrines which are approaching end of life.

5-6mm drop seems to be my sweet spot.

Time to check both these & the Topos out.

... Thom
    Yes. Similar stack to peregrines or even a bit less. More durable for me than Peregrines which I shred pretty quickly. Fit is also similar with a wider forefoot than many Hokas. I rotate between the Torrents and Saucony Xodus Isos which are bomber (except the first version) but a bit heavy with the same fit as Peregrines. Keep in mind that many Sauconys run a half size smaller than they did a couple years back.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

I worked the turn around/water station for a local mountain marathon it took us a 2.5 hr hike to the top of a pass just to hand out the water and I seen this guy come running up to the top in Teva's which suprised the hell of me so I could see that his toes were all deformed or maybe his foot got injured or sft but i don't think his foot would fit in any runner ... definalty a YMMV moment

every foot is different I was in Nike Triax then Saucony Stabil grid after I had the plantar facitis and now after training my self to forefoot strike The La sportiva wildcats trail runner fits me so well and works fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yes. Similar stack to peregrines or even a bit less. More durable for me than Peregrines which I shred pretty quickly. Fit is also similar with a wider forefoot than many Hokas. I rotate between the Torrents and Saucony Xodus Isos which are bomber (except the first version) but a bit heavy with the same fit as Peregrines. Keep in mind that many Sauconys run a half size smaller than they did a couple years back.

anyone know if the new peregrine ISO is more durable than in the past?

I've just been buying old peregrine 8's for $50 online and killing them in 200 miles. Love the shoe but it's starting to feel wasteful. Will have to check out the hoka torrents

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    anyone know if the new peregrine ISO is more durable than in the past?

I've just been buying old peregrine 8's for $50 online and killing them in 200 miles. Love the shoe but it's starting to feel wasteful. Will have to check out the hoka torrents
    I'd be curious to know as well. I had the same experience and moved on. I prefer the Hokas regardless, but I like to swap between two different pairs.

I'd be curious to know as well. I had the same experience and moved on. I prefer the Hokas regardless, but I like to swap between two different pairs.
    No personal experience, but I've heard lots of good things about the Peregrine ISO. Waiting for the closeouts. I have 600 miles on a pair of 7s and their still going strong. A few holes in the outer mesh, but nothing big. What wear are you seeing on the 8? I've debated buying a cheap pair, but they get mixed reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    No personal experience, but I've heard lots of good things about the Peregrine ISO. Waiting for the closeouts. I have 600 miles on a pair of 7s and their still going strong. A few holes in the outer mesh, but nothing big. What wear are you seeing on the 8? I've debated buying a cheap pair, but they get mixed reviews.
    My Peregrine ISOs were short lived. If you do buy a pair go up half a size or try on.

[QUOTE=I've seen black diamonds!;5735354]My Peregrine ISOs were short lived. If you do buy a pair go up half a size or try on.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app I love the grip of the Peregrine so may try the Torrent you mention as well as the Xodus, which was already on my radar.

Bummer to hear that about the ISOs.

I bought a cheap pair of peregrine 8's exactly one month ago. On a 20 miler yesterday, one chunk of tread tore off, and on the other shoe I blew out two layers of the upper at the toe pinch. This is exactly what happened with my last pair, albeit closer to 300 miles in the past. 300 miles for $50 isn't bad. $50 for one month / maybe 150 miles is pretty terrible

I tried on the hoka torrents yesterday and they're just too narrow for me in the toe box

Anybody running in these swiss ON cloudventures? Hard for me to get past the gimmicky-ness but they fit nice

I really liked the midsole and outsole of the torrents, but found the toebox was too narrow and it was hard to get a good heel lockdown. I've found the inov8 terraultra g260 to be a good alternative. The midsole is a touch thinner / more flexible, but the upper is much better. Good heel lockdown and a nice wide toebox. I use them for day to day trails and ultras.

I had three pairs of Hokas. They lasted longer than any other running shoes I've ever had by far. But ultimately, I think all that squish allowed too much wobble that translated to my knees and hips. After that I went a lot more minimal. I now have Merrell Trail Gloves -- zero drop and zero squish. After a painful hip injury las fall I thought my running days were over. But I recently started up again with the Trail Gloves. I live in Sapporo now and run along the Toyohira River next to my house. I stick to the grass and avoid the paved path as much as possible. I go slower and never touch the ground with my heels and that results in a lot less pain. They are helping me rebuild my running technique. After running 50-70 miles a week for most of my life since age 8 I'll never run high miles again. But when I don't run at all, my legs get weak and my knees actually hurt more. My spouse insists that I call what I do now "jogging". I go along with that since my pace is barely faster than walking. But walking doesn't do for me what jogging does. Psychologically, if I don't call it running, I won't be tempted to get competitive or try to go faster than a 13 minute mile pace. I still love it.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    ... But when I don't run at all, my legs get weak and my knees actually hurt more. My spouse insists that I call what I do now "jogging". I go along with that since my pace is barely faster than walking. But walking doesn't do for me what jogging does. Psychologically, if I don't call it running, I won't be tempted to get competitive or try to go faster than a 13 minute mile pace. I still love it.
    This sounds like my rebuild except for the "failed" attempts at going minimalist / forefoot striking.

Being in crap shape the last two touring seasons really pissed me off.

Slow and steady ... I'm taking Matt Fitzgerald's (80/20 HRM training) advice to heart.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Looking back over this thread I see some disagreement regarding red vs lime green shoes. I used to think lime green shoes were faster until I noticed what David Rudisha was wearing against a field of all lime green shoes in the 2012 Olympic 800 meters.

mic drop

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Saucony is replacing my peregrine 8s w ISO’s cus my shoes blew up. Surprisingly legit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums