Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Any of you skied the ARG II? I know the concept is the same, but jw

ARG II are shaped nice and flex nice... HEAVY like bordering on Spatula heavy. Would be fun inbounds
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    ARG II are shaped nice and flex nice... HEAVY like bordering on Spatula heavy. Would be fun inbounds
    In the video for these from Armada, Hans Smith says something along the lines of how he was remembering skiing Spatulas and other water skis with Shane McConkey, and he wanted to bring these bad boys back.

I just grabbed a pair on sale. I have wanted them since Armada re-introduced them 2 years ago. I had 2012 ARGs, and they were so much fun. I remember those being pretty heavy, but these new ones are longer, heavier, and stiffer for sure. They weigh as much as my Pro Riders (2600-2700 grams/ski), and they aren't much softer. In fact they are stiffer underfoot, but then a bit softer in the tips/tails. Impressive flex for sure.

I am very impressed by the look and feel of these and I can't wait to shred them next season inbounds and out. I plan on keeping these until they die too, I always regretted selling my original ARGs

What should I mount them with? Should I put some Duke PT 16s on them, or should I just stick to alpine bindings, and just use them for sidecountry/cat skiing/bootpacking as well as inbounds?

ARG II

Looks sweet. But it’s too short.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

“I got the degree of Stamp-licker from the Bezuzus Mail-order University”
    Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

186cm true length. I actually like this type of ski a little short. If I’m going longer, I’d rather be on a Supergoat versus a 195cm R/R type ski.

IMHO length (as in, it was too short) was the problem with the Spatula. The 192 L138 solved that problem, and the 200/202 makes it even better in the right conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I haven't skied longer versions, but maybe for me as an untracked pow ski, but I don't ski untracked pow often. If I did, I'd definitely want to try a 200cm version. However for that, I'd still think I'd prefer a Supergoat or C&D.

..what about as an inbounds chop and soft chunder bump masher? That's what I bought these for. I personally loved my original ARGs on soft days inbounds for that sort of stuff. Stay centered and basically just rollerblading through chunky chundery snow

^^ Of course, this is why skis come in different lengths and styles --- just my preference on the full reverse/reverse type ski.

As an inbounds chop/crud ski, the L138 goes through (or over) stuff well, but the firmer the snow gets, the harder it is on my knees on a ski that wide. As floatation becomes less important (i.e. as snow gets firmer), the width becomes less of a helpful factor and more of a knee-torquing deterrent.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

For me, as a tele skier, in inbounds chop/crud, I need to be “on” with my l138’s in terms of balance and centered-ness. It’s rewarding but can be demanding in those conditions. I typically ski my bibby’s if I’ll be spending most my time in chop/crud at the ski hill.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    For me, as a tele skier, in inbounds chop/crud, I need to be “on” with my l138’s in terms of balance and centered-ness. It’s rewarding but can be demanding in those conditions. I typically ski my bibby’s if I’ll be spending most my time in chop/crud at the ski hill.
    I love Bibbys/Wildcats in those sort of conditions too. Such a good ski, I need a new pair of 190s, but am so broke. On top of Billy Goats. Glad I got my ARGs out of the way. I hope they keep making this ski.

ARGs always felt pivoty rollerblade-like in soft but choppy/chunky conditions, not demanding ever. Stay centered, and the skis just do the work while you pivot and jump around at any speed you choose. They are stiff and heavy AF! So fun, one of the best experiences I've had skiing. I've found softer chop and chunk to be their best habitat to be honest. They are obviously pretty damn great in powder too, but the tips float less than underfoot, which is "different" to say the least. Never minded them on groomers, although that feels even more "different"

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The Purple topsheet Lotus 138 Spoons (Pure 3 construction) are identical to the green "Special Edition" 138's, except for the green topsheet. I owned a pair of each, and would occasionally ski on one green and one purple one. There is no difference except graphics.

IMHO, the green topsheet SE is the sexiest L138 DPS produced. I sold my pair to Max Gosey, and he lost one of them on their maiden voyage.
    Makes me wonder where these came from...
    This is the pair I picked up a few weeks ago, from a guy in Nederland.

182 Lotus 138 Pure3 Spoons

Name:  lotus 138 001.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  45.5 KB
    Aggressive in my own mind

Hoarhey; I think those started life as my test pair (if they are 192’s).

And I LOVE that green color too.

edit- I see they are 182.

Ode to the DPS Lotus 138 (and Volant Spatula)

Thanks for chiming in marshal. I’m stoked. Supposedly never skied
    just mounted once for kingpins.

I bought the skis flat

Don’t have them in hand yet

Your test pair was the same color scheme? One green and one purple?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    Just comparing my purple 192 Powderworks 138s to Hoarhey’s 182 Pure 3s and they look quite different (although that could just be my eyes, the different lengths and camera angles etc). Other than moving to the Alchemist layup does anyone know what other changes were made between the Pure 3 and the Powderworks? Just curious.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33D88258-7C7E-4D7A-B753-3B1A311089EF.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	373827

Those look great.
    Maybe yours have less tip taper

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums