Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Oh yeah, had 3 hours of very magical turns on them, just got less greedy with taking the runs to the bottom vs just lapping the upper lift.

Proud new member of the Spatula club!
    Had a $105 eBucks stash from Christmas shopping, and just couldn’t resist this time.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Proud new member of the Spatula club!
    Had a $105 eBucks stash from Christmas shopping, and just couldn’t resist this time.
    Welcome brother!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Didn’t see this cross posted yet, Marshal is working to remake the original-ish versions of the lotus 138

Bringing Back The Best: Lotii And Other Assorted Love Songs
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=345312

https://heritagelabskis.com/products/c138

Anybody know the recommended edge angles on r1 lotus 138 192cm? I saw that marshal is setting his upcoming c138 at 1:2 (base:side). I’ve been slacking

The conditions you're going to use that ski in = edge angles won't matter at all. More important will be your ability to stay centered or slightly backseat while skiing a groomer runout back to the lift.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ode to the DPS Lotus 138 (and Volant Spatula)

Ha! True, but three times I’ve (accidentally) toured on hard pack with my l138. 1500’ single pitch descent (it’s a great pow run). Beware the first cold and windy storm after the January thaw.

How’s that saying go? Fool me once shame on you….

This is such an informative thread, that is all.

Brings the lawls too — beetlejuice, hope all is well in your life if you’re lurking these days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I picked up a pair of 192 L138 Spoons in the Pure 3 construction. Purple ones. Wondering about mount point on them - I generally ski relatively centered. Go with recommended or move the mount forward?

PSA / heads up....
    not sure if you'd consider this a good price, but they look pretty clean. comments say $650.
    https://www.geartrade.com/item/75853...RoCgDcQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I picked up a pair of 192 L138 Spoons in the Pure 3 construction. Purple ones. Wondering about mount point on them - I generally ski relatively centered. Go with recommended or move the mount forward?
    I've skied them both on the line and at +1.5 and like them significantly better forward. FWIW I'm a directional skier but not an ex racer or "must mash my shins through my boots at all times" type guy and my whole quiver is in the -6 to -12 range

Welcome indeed - need to break mine out of semi-retirement soon!
    "Dude - I'd kick his ass. I can take my ski-off so fucking fast." - Jongsy

Two questions:
    1. Which would be more fun skiing telemark? Lotus 138 or Lotus 148 Spoon?
    2. Can you tour on Lotus 148 Spoon or is it too wide to be efficient in on the uptrack?

Quote Originally Posted by wantriot View Post
    Two questions:
    2. Can you tour on Lotus 148 Spoon or is it too wide to be efficient in on the uptrack?
    Hold your feet a bit further apart? I toured on 128mm wide Protests and it wasn’t too bad.

The wider skis often don't fit in established skin tracks. My usual pow tourer is a Lotus 120 - which is often wider than the skin track before me.

That's really about the only drawback.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The wider skis often don't fit in established skin tracks. My usual pow tourer is a Lotus 120 - which is often wider than the skin track before me.

That's really about the only drawback.
    Yeah, I've toured a bunch on L138s and Protests and have found the same. Super fattys are great if you're breaking trail in deep snow, but you're often half-way breaking trail in an existing skin track, too.

My bad knee doesn't like sidehill skinning on firmer snow with a ski that wide, either.

I tour on l138 on tele. I think they are a load of fun, but not all tele skiers like a lot of tail rocker.

I’m usually breaking trail, with a crew that’s breaking trail, or the skin track is soft, so I’ve never had a problem with the width in a skin track. Traversing on the up on hard snow is tricky because of the width.

Just picked up a pair of 182 L138 spoon Pure3's, the purple ones for the wife, and need to install clamps (Vipec). Is the consensus on the +1 line? More forwarder or more backwarder? She tends to like pretty traditional mounts FWIW. Evidently Christmas never stops for her!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Just picked up a pair of 182 L138 spoon Pure3's, the purple ones for the wife, and need to install clamps (Vipec). Is the consensus on the +1 line? More forwarder or more backwarder? She tends to like pretty traditional mounts FWIW. Evidently Christmas never stops for her!
    I've skied the 192 length of that generation both on the line and at +1.5 and like them way better forward.

I've never skied the 182.

On all the 192s except the R0, I like them on the line. I think my R1s are actually slightly rearward, maybe - 1. No way would I go ahead of the line, but YMMV.

Don't think I've ever seen a mounted thrice ski go for $1,300. ugh.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16573498913...Bk9SR4bjy8z_YA

Hahah that’s wild!! 3 sets of holes in carbon. Someone is feeling confident.

WTF?

$1300?
    3 mounts, but only 2 days on them?
    He moved the third mount to +3.5?!?

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    WTF?

$1300?
    3 mounts, but only 2 days on them?
    He moved the third mount to +3.5?!?
    Controversial opinion I know , but the purple spooned version isn’t R/R. It’s basically a fat 5 point ski like the JJ. I bet This guy was moving the mount point around because they ski funky and tip hook and he couldn’t figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, I've toured a bunch on L138s and Protests and have found the same. Super fattys are great if you're breaking trail in deep snow, but you're often half-way breaking trail in an existing skin track, too.

My bad knee doesn't like sidehill skinning on firmer snow with a ski that wide, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by wantriot View Post
    Two questions:
    I have dynafits on 148 spoons. Yes, they are usually wider than existing skin tracks which is a little annoying, but any day that makes those skis viable you should not be worried about a firm skintrack.