Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    otto parts, the Purple spoons you are referring to are the purple Pure3 Lotus 138 spoons, correct?
    Or the Alchmist Lotus 138 spoons?
    not alchemist (or powder works)
    think I got first year of when they got spooned-“regular” Pure 3

I haven’t done side by side with other but pretty stoked with them when I can use in appropriate conditions-certainly wouldn’t change a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Cool. Otto. Sounds like you have the purple pure3 lotus 138 spoons

I have the same but in the midget version

Aggressive in my own mind

OK, I'm gonna throw a little turd in this punch bowl...how does the Armada ARG/ARG II compare with the dentist 138's? Never been on either but my interest is being piqued by this thread, and the fact that Armada is coming out with an UL version of the ARG II next year. Hope it's in appropriate size(s). Also, does the R/R design need to be pretty stiff to work well for guys north of 200lb. I'm going to be doing a bunch of low elevation/ low angle meadow skipping in marginal snow (often pretty heavy and crusted) over the next couple of years and want to make the best of it.

Ode to the DPS Lotus 138 (and Volant Spatula)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    OK, I'm gonna throw a little turd in this punch bowl...how does the Armada ARG/ARG II compare with the dentist 138's? Never been on either but my interest is being piqued by this thread, and the fact that Armada is coming out with an UL version of the ARG II next year. Hope it's in appropriate size(s). Also, does the R/R design need to be pretty stiff to work well for guys north of 200lb. I'm going to be doing a bunch of low elevation/ low angle meadow skipping in marginal snow (often pretty heavy and crusted) over the next couple of years and want to make the best of it.
    In my experience, the bigger you are, the more you are going to want/need an r/r design that is longer than 190-ish. They are “unique” and fun to ski on the right day, but something like a Protest does the same thing and is more versatile. I think spending over $1k for 138’s is a little silly.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I'm kinda wondering if an L138 in a 182cm or ARG II UL might be super fun for my wife at 5'9" 145lb. She doesn't do steep anymore but does like the whole hippy pow touring deal. Seems like this kind of board could extend her season quite a bit. Got her a pair of Woo2's this year so this seems like the logical next step for when things get a little deep and heavy at lower elevations. For me, yeah, I can seed the need for 190+ and stiff. I've got a pair of L124 Spoon Alchemists for the resort/heli but would like to try an R/R board for low elevation touring with the wife. Have been keeping an eye out for some UL build Protest 192's for myself...or Kusala carbons.

I personally don't think low angle is the right environment for the 138. If I was putting together the ultimate low angle wiggle setup it'd be Line Pescados, bar none.

138s excel in mid to steeper terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I personally don't think low angle is the right environment for the 138. If I was putting together the ultimate low angle wiggle setup it'd be Line Pescados, bar none.

138s excel in mid to steeper terrain.
    i love my 138s for meadow skipping - float on top and keep your speed up in low angle terrain. great for early season to avoid rocks with shallow snowpacks, great for the 4" fresh days when you want to avoid hitting the mank lurking below.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    i love my 138s for meadow skipping - float on top and keep your speed up in low angle terrain. great for early season to avoid rocks with shallow snowpacks, great for the 4" fresh days when you want to avoid hitting the mank lurking below.
    Me too.

Pescados might float better at 2mph with those giant shovels (haven't skied them, just speculating) but L138s work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I138s excel in mid to steeper terrain.
    Yesssssss, moar steeeeeep pls.

I've found my Protests to excel at low angle pow skipping.
    5'8" 185 lbs, and that's with the 177 length
    Aggressive in my own mind

No experience with the pescado. I’ve had exceptionally awesome meadow skipping experiences in Sierra snow and mank with 192cm l138 and fully rockered protest (18x?). I also use 185(?) bibby’s a lot, and the l138 is much more fun for me on the low angle. Telemark, 155lbs.

Yes for 138s fucking slaying steep 50deg AK cream

Yes for 138skeeping speed up and not bogging down in the meadows and you can play and pop on them. Pow covered glacier flatter AK runouts to a PZ? Yessss

Yes for 138s in CO early season keeps you off the rocks and floats (and deflects well, as in up, instead of digging into a hazard or going under a log).

Yes for 138s floating sea of facets when you are CO meadow skipping.

138s for almost everything!

Don't know the Pescado, but I do remember really also liking Lotus 120s in the flats because the fat tip pintail worked really well for that, so a swallow would too.

ARGII felt awesome in the shop, but they are almost Spatula heavy. Fucking boat anchors! Might be fine for lift served days. UL version sounds nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    Quote Originally Posted by old mexico View Post
    I called and was told there was more tail rocker by a British gent. Besides that it’s essentially same profile as the powderwork

Interesting that they said that. I emailed DPS and they’ve told me the rocker and shaping is identical to the Purple 138 Powderworks Alchemist Spoon
    Last edited by Jimty; 12-15-2021 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Jimty View Post
    Interesting that they said that. I emailed DPS and they’ve told me the rocker and shaping is identical to the Purple 138 Powderworks Alchemist Spoon
    Looking at the photos there does seem to be a little different in the tip and tail taper but it’s hard to know if it’s just the photo playing tricks or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yes for 138s fucking slaying steep 50deg AK cream

Yes for 138skeeping speed up and not bogging down in the meadows and you can play and pop on them. Pow covered glacier flatter AK runouts to a PZ? Yessss

Yes for 138s in CO early season keeps you off the rocks and floats (and deflects well, as in up, instead of digging into a hazard or going under a log).

Yes for 138s floating sea of facets when you are CO meadow skipping.

138s for almost everything!

Don't know the Pescado, but I do remember really also liking Lotus 120s in the flats because the fat tip pintail worked really well for that, so a swallow would too.

ARGII felt awesome in the shop, but they are almost Spatula heavy. Fucking boat anchors! Might be fine for lift served days. UL version sounds nice.
    Yes for this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah If you really want a pair of 138s a guy in montrose Is selling a pair of powder works 182/ pure3 192 on Craigslist. Both brand new except the 192s have been mounted for wardens.

$1399 for any ski is not worth it. But it is the dentists powder ski after all so they’re ‘selling quick’

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Looking at the photos there does seem to be a little different in the tip and tail taper but it’s hard to know if it’s just the photo playing tricks or what.
    I thought that too from the pics… Although the purples in the pics are in the shorter length, so maybe that’s it

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    I've found my Protests to excel at low angle pow skipping.
    5'8" 185 lbs, and that's with the 177 length
    The Praxis Powderboards are also terrific at low angle pow skipping, as you would expect. Even better are the old Bluehouse Mavens, soft, 139 underfoot, reverse camber with just the tiniest bit of sidecut. I tele the 190 PB and the 190 Mavens at 165lb. The PBs are better at everything else other than low angle. The Mavens are now my very early season, very low snow, stay off the rocks on low angle terrain skis.

So are Powderboards pretty much an across the board equivalent of an L138? I realize that they are both R/R, just want to know if there is any other practical differences besides brand.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    The Praxis Powderboards are also terrific at low angle pow skipping, as you would expect. Even better are the old Bluehouse Mavens, soft, 139 underfoot, reverse camber with just the tiniest bit of sidecut. I tele the 190 PB and the 190 Mavens at 165lb. The PBs are better at everything else other than low angle. The Mavens are now my very early season, very low snow, stay off the rocks on low angle terrain skis.
    Every iteration of the Maven was different flex wise(last version had updated rocker/camber profile, mainly how tips/rails rise). Gold version was/is not soft(my Proto mavens may be the stiffest ski I own).
    I also have PB's and absolutely love them, but totally disagree with the PB's outperforming the Maven. The Maven is way more versatile.
    Fuckin love my gold Mavens, seriously cold dead hands ski!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Every iteration of the Maven was different flex wise(last version had updated rocker/camber profile, mainly how tips/rails rise). Gold version was/is not soft(my Proto mavens may be the stiffest ski I own).
    I also have PB's and absolutely love them, but totally disagree with the PB's outperforming the Maven. The Maven is way more versatile.
    Fuckin love my gold Mavens, seriously cold dead hands ski!
    A stiffer maven would be alot of fun and hold up better at speed I'd imagine. There is one other area where even my soft mavens outperform the PB, and that's getting back to the lifts on groomers. That tiny bit of sidecut really makes a difference. But I usually only ski my PBs on storm days. The mavens were my first fat ski and first R/R and truly rocked my world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    So are Powderboards pretty much an across the board equivalent of an L138? I realize that they are both R/R, just want to know if there is any other practical differences besides brand.
    PB’s were intended to be a modernized-ish spatula with traditions torsion box design rather then stainless steel cap design. L138 usually have a hint of sidecut and are much lighter. The different versions of the l138 had different rocker profiles, tip and tail taper, and internal construction.

Apologies in advance if it’s been explained, couldn’t find any discussion on it.

Can someone elaborate to me if there’s a real difference between the older 138s with different flex. I’m a bigger guy and ski faster/ more aggressive than average. Would it be a problem to be on flex 2 vs 3. I found a 202cm length in flex 2 so I’m just curious since I’ve never been on the older dps skis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lotus1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	961.4 KB 
ID:	400624

Name:	lotus2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	400625

Name:	schweitzer-mainhero-1920x1000-sunnypowder2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	400626

20" in 24 hours
    20 degrees to 33 degrees to 23 degrees during the event
    40 MPH winds post storm

202 138s ate it up

(Except the bulletproof groomers at the very very bottom runout, we won't talk about that part, nor me nearly doing the splits on said bulletproof groomers.)

Worth the splits?