Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Attachment 446554

Attachment 446555

First day on these beauties, so intuitive and fun.
    They will see regular use here, love the heft and crud annihilation.

Thank you, Shane!
    Outstanding!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Loving the license plate. And the spatulas.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Attachment 446554

Attachment 446555

First day on these beauties, so intuitive and fun.
    They will see regular use here, love the heft and crud annihilation.

Thank you, Shane!
    Wait; I have a Spatula-brother at Alyeska??? Welcome! (Although I'm still fairly new to the club myself; my first day was at Eaglecrest in April of 2021.) I was also there with Spatulas on the 6th! Mine also see regular use. My rough gauge is that it needs 6" for the Spats to be able to plane effectively; anything less and it's not worth it.

I actually met the guy who donated the set to Girdwood Brewing, and subsequently tried to convince one of the owners to take his set off the wall so they could be put back into circulation for his friends/family/Girdwood community. He said no.

Opening day last season:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA9A069B-16F3-46B0-9385-786D317ED263.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	410.2 KB 
ID:	447675
    Last edited by Alaska-RWC; 02-13-2023 at 09:50 PM.

I scored these via Gear Swap drama last year. They were immediately fun and easy to ski - I find myself reaching for them relatively often this season. Any day that calls for these is going to be a good day, can't wipe the grin off my face when skiing them.

They ski like nothing else I've ever tried - it's like going from a hardtail to a full sus MTB when it comes to 3d snow. They blast chop, plane up super easy, pivot intuitively. I actually really like them when it's tracked out and heavy - they don't get hooky, they don't get bogged down.

Big thanks to TGR, and this thread, for convincing me to buy Lotus 138s.

Name:  lotus138_1.jpeg
Views: 798
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  lotus138_2.jpeg
Views: 779
Size:  55.9 KB

YESSSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The 138s were the right call for yesterday after 70+ inches of snow since KT was last opened to the public. The carbon heritage 132s were tempting but knowing how fast that mountain was going to get tracked out I wanted the weight of the 138s.

Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I scored these via Gear Swap drama last year. They were immediately fun and easy to ski - I find myself reaching for them relatively often this season. Any day that calls for these is going to be a good day, can't wipe the grin off my face when skiing them.

They ski like nothing else I've ever tried - it's like going from a hardtail to a full sus MTB when it comes to 3d snow. They blast chop, plane up super easy, pivot intuitively. I actually really like them when it's tracked out and heavy - they don't get hooky, they don't get bogged down.

Big thanks to TGR, and this thread, for convincing me to buy Lotus 138s.

Name:  lotus138_1.jpeg
Views: 798
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  lotus138_2.jpeg
Views: 779
Size:  55.9 KB
    Hah! Nice to see these in the wild. As a peripheral player in that drama, I'm happy to report that their sister pair has been getting good use down here on the Eastside. Wind effect, sun effect, no match for em. They have been my go to for low angle pow touring on high danger days, of which we have had a shit load. Can't really imagine not having a ski like this in the quiver now.

tl:dr if you find 138s for $150 fucking buy them

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Hah! Nice to see these in the wild. As a peripheral player in that drama, I'm happy to report that their sister pair has been getting good use down here on the Eastside. Wind effect, sun effect, no match for em. They have been my go to for low angle pow touring on high danger days, of which we have had a shit load. Can't really imagine not having a ski like this in the quiver now.

tl:dr if you find 138s for $150 fucking buy them
    Stoked! Maybe we'll cross paths - mainly been riding these at Mammoth. Best $150 I've spent on skiing. Paid almost as much for the bindings hah.

If anyone needs a 200 C132, there are 3 pair unclaimed, and they will ship right away! Just in time for AK season…

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    If anyone needs a 200 C132, there are 3 pair unclaimed, and they will ship right away! Just in time for AK season…
    No more c132s in 192 lurking around? Damn

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Checking in from the field. 12+ dense wind affected. Right tool for the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.42.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	450353

not sure if I posted this before (I'm not the seller) - new `182cm still in wrapper - $600usd - been posted for awhile so probably could talk them down on price - located an hours drive from YVR or Baker ski hill

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    No more c132s in 192 lurking around? Damn

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    They ski and tour short — don’t be scared

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    They ski and tour short — don’t be scared

Seconded- if I wasn’t exclusively skinning them I’d just as happy with 200’s.

Gravity always wins...

What is the collective's thoughts on the current model of Lotus 138's? II have a line on a pair of 192s with the dark purple topsheets for a decent price. Especially looking for comments vs HLc132. Would be used for touring exclusively. I know there were several different iterations previously but not sure what is best etc.

I have both the purple L138s and the Heritage c132s and if you're deciding between the two the c132 is hands down the better choice for a pure touring rig. Not only will the c132s be significantly lighter, they ski better in pure untracked and consistent snow than the L138s do, its not a huge difference but it is noticeable. I use my L138s for inbounds pow as the weight helps them ski cut up snow as the day goes on and I pull out the c132s for sidecountry and backcountry. Hope that helps.

To be clear I'm assuming you are referring to the purple Lotus 138 spoons.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

138s yesterday. Spats today. Still the greatest soft snow tree ski of all times.

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    I have both the purple L138s and the Heritage c132s and if you're deciding between the two the c132 is hands down the better choice for a pure touring rig. Not only will the c132s be significantly lighter, they ski better in pure untracked and consistent snow than the L138s do, its not a huge difference but it is noticeable. I use my L138s for inbounds pow as the weight helps them ski cut up snow as the day goes on and I pull out the c132s for sidecountry and backcountry. Hope that helps.

To be clear I'm assuming you are referring to the purple Lotus 138 spoons.
    I am referring to the purple topsheet, pure3 spoon model, looks like 2017ish? Also looks like they haven't changed it since which is why I said most current. I checked out the weights, didn't realize how heavy they were in the 192. Guess I'll pass on em and save up for some carbon HL132. Those are the skis I want anyway, but always looking for a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I am referring to the purple topsheet, pure3 spoon model, looks like 2017ish? Also looks like they haven't changed it since which is why I said most current. I checked out the weights, didn't realize how heavy they were in the 192. Guess I'll pass on em and save up for some carbon HL132. Those are the skis I want anyway, but always looking for a deal.
    Both is good too: My c132s are getting switched over to pin bindings soon, I just haven't figured out which ones just yet.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 4.11.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	453.3 KB 
ID:	450570

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    I have both the purple L138s and the Heritage c132s and if you're deciding between the two the c132 is hands down the better choice for a pure touring rig. Not only will the c132s be significantly lighter, they ski better in pure untracked and consistent snow than the L138s do, its not a huge difference but it is noticeable.
    any chance you can elaborate on better in pure untracked? on l138s for mechanized backcountry and while they’re a bit silly wide, i can’t quickly think of any shortcomings. but i haven’t skied older l138s, closest equivalent i’ve skied are protests.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    any chance you can elaborate on better in pure untracked? on l138s for mechanized backcountry and while they’re a bit silly wide, i can’t quickly think of any shortcomings. but i haven’t skied older l138s, closest equivalent i’ve skied are protests.
    The newer 192cm Lotus 138 spoons have a turning radius of 32m and weigh in at 2200+ grams per ski. To me, this means they are easier to lay on edge and carve medium radius turns on cut up snow as the day goes on, and their weight/stiffness lets them blast through chop better than they have a right to. Unfortunately, these two attributes mean that the cross fall-line drifting/slarving of the ski (due to the sidecut) and the flick-ability or quickness (due to the weight) are slightly compromised when compared to a carbon 132 or older generation Lotus 138 (the long sidecut versions). The 132's long turning radius allows for more of a proper McConkey turn while being more intuitive when moving sideways, and the lighter weight construction allows for quickness that is difficult to duplicate with a heavier ski. The c132s weighing a few hundred grams less per ski is quite noticeable, definitely in a good way in consistent deep pow and definitely in a bad way skiing down to the car at the end of a inbounds pow day when everything has been skied off.

I still use the Lotus 138s for inbounds skiing because they don't make me want to go back to the car for different skis quite as quickly as the carbon 132s, its a compromise that keeps me on the mountain longer without having to take a break on a pow day. However, for sidecountry, backcountry, or mechanized skiing where I know that i'll be skiing consistent untracked snow, i'd grab the 132s every time as they are better in those specific conditions.

70 degrees and deep slush? Yes, please!

What are the lightest tech bindings people recommend mounting on Lotus 138s (Pure3 Spoon version)?

I currently have Tectons mounted on mine and the downhill performance is great, but I would like to cut as much binding weight as I can. I use these skis exclusively for touring. I am 5’10” 180 lbs.

I currently have a pair of Xenic 10 that I could mount on these. FWIW, Fritschi only recommends the Xenic for skis up to 105 in width.
    Last edited by Karl_H; 12-04-2023 at 11:18 AM.

Switch to the vipec heel? No need to drill new holes, lighter and very capable.

Mount vipec heels with inserts, keep your tecton heels for lift/cat/heli days.