Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I wish they had a cheaper, slightly heavier version of the L138 for (assuming) better chop and heavy snow performance.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    They do/did. Hybrid 138s (R 3.2 F 2) are ~2575 gms per ski. Heaviest ski I own, aside from Spats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ode to the DPS Lotus 138 (and Volant Spatula)

Would that be the Foundation layup now?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I haven’t paid attention to their new names/layups, but yes, I think Foundation is basically the Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    I haven’t paid attention to their new names/layups, but yes, I think Foundation is basically the Hybrid

It is but costs more . Just buy old 138 or lotus 120. If u come to bbi in Utah and have 310 ish bsl you can try some of my suggestions
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

A bro of mine scored some cheap F124's. He's going to sell them after a few days on them because they have no backbone. He said good in soft shit, not so much in anything beyond that. FWIW, he also accuses me of liking 'serious' skis.
    Foundations are built for mere dental assistants.

...Juice, I really don't know anyone that tours on an R/R and I know plenty that have tried it. For strictly staying the deep on easy skin tracks with simple navigation...maybe. Everything is situational but ski touring is about a lot more than going down.

You have goldilocks issues. Nothing is perfect. Set some quiver goals for the season, be don't by Thanksgiving, try to get 10 days on each ski you own (no mid day switching) then reassess next off season. You will be a better skier and will have more fun not obsessing on equipment.

Look around, see who rips. Most likely, the rip on any thing and everything. Get a pair of boots that fit and just go skiing.

see sig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loti.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	364781  
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-25-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    A bro of mine scored some cheap F124's. He's going to sell them after a few days on them because they have no backbone. He said good in soft shit, not so much in anything beyond that. FWIW, he also accuses me of liking 'serious' skis.
    Foundations are built for mere dental assistants.
    I like my pure 124 185 spoon and it’s fine inbounds. Foundation has a different shape and style in 124. I have 197 spoon 124 and I’m dying to try this season. I know I will either love it or hate it. I think old hybrid and DPS shapes are better than the newer styles.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I like my pure 124 185 spoon and it’s fine inbounds. Foundation has a different shape and style in 124. I have 197 spoon 124 and I’m dying to try this season. I know I will either love it or hate it. I think old hybrid and DPS shapes are better than the newer styles.
    Different ski though no?
    The shape itself looks good to me.
    He just said too soft

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    see sig
    Still pissed I was broke when they ran the ' Coreshot' special

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    ...Juice, I really don't know anyone that tours on an R/R and I know plenty that have tried it. For strictly staying the deep on easy skin tracks with simple navigation...maybe. Everything is situational but ski touring is about a lot more than going down.

You have goldilocks issues. Nothing is perfect. Set some quiver goals for the season, be don't by Thanksgiving, try to get 10 days on each ski you own (no mid day switching) then reassess next off season. You will be a better skier and will have more fun not obsessing on equipment.

Look around, see who rips. Most likely, the rip on any thing and everything. Get a pair of boots that fit and just go skiing.
    Dude everytime you address me you treat me like a nooob...

I know what the fuck I’m doing, I know what I’m after. My goals arent your goals.

I have boots thats fit (? From left field), I already rip. I plan to ski 100 days this year at the resort and hopefully 25 BC.

Thanks for your concern, but I do what I want.

¡You dont know me!

Sorry for being a jerk, but these kind of responses are kind of pissing me off. Muggydude and many others have like 30 pairs of skis and barely even ski. I ski 100 days a year and people give me shit when I look for another ski and want it to be dialed.

People who respond like this, leave me the fuck alone. You arent my fucken dad.

This is a gear talk forum, and we are talking gear..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Dude everytime you address me you treat me like a nooob...

I know what the fuck I’m doing, I know what I’m after.

I have boots thats fit, I already rip. I plan to ski 100 days this year.

Thanks for your concern, but I do what I want.

You dont know me

Well there you have it!

Humor me then. What is the application for touring on powder board? Location? Vert? Snow conditions? Laps per day? Days per year? Bindings?

Your internet persona is that of a skier who over things equipment, needs a different set up for every condition, spends lots of money on equipment, yet claims to be tight on cash.

My internet persona in a skier who thinks equipment isn't that important, ski one pair of skis 90% of the time, has one pair of boots, doesn't spend shit on equipment but has the cash if he wanted to.

You might not think you are but you are the AKPM, Goosey, Phish of today's forum. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't but that he now I see it. They all looked in the mirror, made some changes and owned it.

Holy shit. ^^^^ this guys makes me want to leave the forum and never come back.

Way to serious for me. Kind of deuchy and elitist honestly. Can I just be me? Or should I be you?

Please stop acting like you know me. I cant even breathe on here anymore and its really annoying now. I’m just gonna block everybody but friends on here, I get most of my info from them anyway. So much BS lately.

I’m selling my dirtbike, and want a powder ski. I have skied big powder skis before, and want one again. Kill me

Everybody trying to be my dad. Only Norseman and Leavenworth are allowed to do that

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but lots of people giving me shit, I gotta pushback here and there.

Chill out, son.

You ski 100 days a year. That's awesome. Serious question: how many days have you toured in the last 5 years?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Be whatever you want. I don't know you. I can be serious. This is not one of those times. I respond to what you post. You do the same. That's how this place works.

Did you not ask about some 190 Powder Boards for touring? I have a pair in the garage. They are the only quiver ski I own. I don't think I skied them at all last year. I traded Cletus a pair of Dukes for them about 10 years ago. I would never take them touring. This is my opinion.

My advice, take that dirt bike money and use it to travel. It is not a plated 250 by chance is it? I will trade you for some Powder Boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Chill out, son.
    Everybody calling me out and thinking they know me...its kinda of getting to me. Let me do me

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    You ski 100 days a year. That's awesome. Serious question: how many days have you toured in the last 5 years?
    I have only skinned on skis 1 day, but bootpack quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Still pissed I was broke when they ran the ' Coreshot' special
    I stockpiled. I still have 2 unmounted pair of the bamboo sidewalled dark topsheet in a 200 cm.
    I ski my mounted pairs in virtually any condition except icy days, so I'm kind of a fogster philo on the quiver deal.

Same with my bike.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Be whatever you want. I don't know you. I can be serious. This is not one of those times. I respond to what you post. You do the same. That's how this place works.

Did you not ask about some 190 Powder Boards for touring? I have a pair in the garage. They are the only quiver ski I own. I don't think I skied them at all last year. I traded Cletus a pair of Dukes for them about 10 years ago. I would never take them touring. This is my opinion.

My advice, take that dirt bike money and use it to travel. It is not a plated 250 by chance is it?
    I will trade you for some Powder Boards.
    I see what youre getting at, but in a public setting its not really acceptable. You wouldnt walk up to someone at a party and start telling them how to live their life..and how what their doing isnt correct. Its not your place to do that.

And I understand the ski thing, but your saying things like “get proper fitting boots, and watch the rippers ski”, like I’m some noob or idiot..

I have only skinned on skis 1 day, but bootpack quite a bit.
    So you might consider paying attention when people say touring on R/R sucks -- even if it's said in a condescending manner. There are skis that are almost as fun in pow but way more versatile. If you're looking for a pow-touring rig. Otherwise, carry on.

The other problem with pow touring is you generally want to let the snow settle a bit after a storm before you get out there for avy reasons. So you don't often ski pow that's as "bottomless" as you find inbounds. IME, YMMV.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Keep on keeping on, betel! It’s comical how some on here allow your choices to effect them, what appears to me, on a personal level.
    Ski all the skis you want bro. I’m not you, you’re not me so it doesn’t bother me one iota. I dig your take on skis, even when most of the time you never fault a ski, whatever though. Tour in a R/R doesn’t effect anyone in here but yourself. It may be for you and it may kick your ass. Only you will know that.
    Cut the guy some slack and talk tech talk bitches. 2FUNKY has spoken, deal with it. Lol

I wish they had a cheaper, slightly heavier version of the L138 for (assuming) better chop and heavy snow performance.
    I've had several versions of the 138, including one pair of 192 hybrids (R3.2, IIRC - red topsheet, really big tip rocker compared to other 138s). The hybrids did perform a little better on weird windpack/ wind crust type snow, but that may also have been due to the very tall tip rocker on that pair.

The Praxis Pow is similar in general shape and weight, but weirdly, I never really liked my 195s that much. I didn't keep them that long. I liked the Spatula more than the Praxis Pow. I had hoped that the 195 Pow would be a more stable Spatula, but it wasn't -- the Lotus 138 was.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend touring on the 150 Spoon. I have not done it, but I was surprised at how heavy the Spoon was, unmounted, even though it's a "pure" construction ski. All that width starts to add up, no matter how much carbon is in that ski.

I'm with whyturn on his suggestion to buy an older version 138 and/or 120. My main touring ski is the old bamboo sidewall 120, and I've never felt like I wanted to lug something heavier uphill -- or that I was sacrificing something on the descent by not suffering through bringing a larger ski uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    So maybe pay attention when people say touring on R/R sucks. There are skis that are almost as fun in pow but way more versatile. If you're looking for a pow-touring rig.
    These are simply for perfect powder. Wherever I can find it. Not for long tours. I have some Bibby Tours that will be more versatile.

If not in the BC, then where are big fat untracked snow skis acceptable?

A final comment on selecting a touring ski and why I would not want a 138 for that use: most people are not touring on skis that width, which means that skin tracks (either old ones or ones set by your touring partners) are narrower than 138mm, which means that your skis aren't going to fit in those tracks -- so you're going to end up setting your own skin track every single time. And that takes its toll.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.