Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Is this Powder Board for boot packing or touring? When I think of backcountry skiing I think AT, maybe we have a terminology problem. Sidecountry?

What is your current quiver?

I'll play. 184 Freerides Flex 4 Carbon, 188 Quixotes Flex 3 Enduros. Both inserted for Wardens & Ions. Maelestrale RS all day everyday.

May be in the market for some new boots but I am gonna prioritize an air bag back (Probably BCA as I don't want to deal with refills when traveling by air and my friend has the pump).

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Keep on keeping on, betel! I dig your take on skis, even when most of the time you never fault a ski, whatever though.
    Only if they cant ski bumps!

I know tho, I’m working on being less enthusiastic and point out more flaws with skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    If not in the BC, then where are big fat untracked snow skis acceptable?
    Heli skiing. Cat skiing. Sidecountry/slackcountry, even inbounds, on select days in the PNW. Though, perhaps those days are numbered with population growth and the popularity of skiing.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Ode to the DPS Lotus 138 (and Volant Spatula)

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Is this Powder Board for boot packing or touring? When I think of backcountry skiing I think AT, maybe we have a terminology problem. Sidecountry?

What is your current quiver?

I'll play. 184 Freerides Flex 4 Carbon, 188 Quixotes Flex 3 Enduros. Both inserted for Wardens & Ions. Maelestrale RS all day everyday.

May be in the market for some new boots but I am gonna prioritize an air bag back (Probably BCA as I don't want to deal with refills when traveling by air and my friend has the pump).
    Im sorry. I obviously was the one being a jerk. You just tryna help me become ski master Velo.

Just woke up and sick today..cranky

My inbounds quiver is

188 PB&J
    191 Monster 108
    191 Katana
    189 Rx heavy #5
    189 Billy Goat
    190 Wildcat
    196 Governor

Boots: Lange ZB plugs, Rossi WC 130 (Lange RS 130 rebranded), and Salomon Ghost 130

And 190 Bibby Tours with mtn labs for OB

I sold almost half my skis from last year, in order to get used to the skis I have and not be switching all the time. I will be demoing a tonnnn of skis this year though, so that may screw it up anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Heli skiing. Cat skiing. Sidecountry/slackcountry, even inbounds, on select days in the PNW.
    The DPS team seems to tour on fattys. I just want to be cool

I could ski ARGs inbounds no problem. In fact I like them on inbounds pow days. They can ski bumps!

Not even a chuckle at the lame dad joke?

The entire DPS team seems to tour on fattys. I just want to be cool
    I would tour on a L120. I might even tour on an older L138 with the flatter rocker profile, but it'd have to be a special day and I'd have to be touring a lot to want to add it to the quiver with Tectons or whatever.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If not in the BC, then where are big fat untracked snow skis acceptable?
    Speaking personally...Jackson Side Country, Targhee, Silverton, any time at Winter Park where I think I can get some rope drops, ski some untracked trees and go to work. Even in those conditions, I think you give up very little to your favorite 110-120 ski. I love R/R but I don't think it is a powder shape. I think it shines in variable conditions. For example, I prefer Megawatts over Powder Board for knee deep blower but think Powder Boards dominate slush bumps and other off piste spring conditions at the ski area.

Again, I think we have a terminology issue with what "backcountry" means to you. To be "backcountry" is touring Berthoud Pass or somewhere similar for soft snow with <$3K vert per day. Those Billy Tours are probably great for that. They would do fine on longer spring days although there are better options.

Oh...and if a party is sitting around in college hitting the bong knocking back Molson XXX, they yeah...I'd act like this. TGR is a giant shit slinging partry, always has been. Between the bullshit there is a tremendous amount of good information shared by some people good peeps. Whether the juice is worth the squeeze in a personal decision but to get you pantys twisted because you think I'm breaking the decorum of the internet is pretty laughable.

I mean you no hard and I certainly ain't telling you what to do. In my opinion, you crossed the line with some of the veiled ON3P comments and I called you on it. That's it.

You guys misunderstand me

Everybody trying to be my dad. Only Norseman and Leavenworth are allowed to do that
    Son,

I know a young man like you needs to sow his wild oats before settling down with a long term lover like your dad and I have. We both understand that not everyone can find the embrace of a goat enjoyable.

Since you're going to whore around, let me give you a little advice. First of all, don't settle for less than you really want. I have messed around with a lot of bigger bodied rides, and I can tell you that most only bring temporary satisfaction. Constant cycling of companions can leave a person feeling hollow and a bit lost... not to mention all that attention can do a real number on the wallet. While pendulous tips and a fat midsection seems like a recipe for a good time, I can tell you that you'll get tired of the bullshit when the going gets hard. Multiple times these lovers have put me flat on my ass, almost as if I was bambi on ice. Another caused me Nancy Kerrigan levels of knee pain after a long walk across a steep hard slope to get to the soft windloaded goods. But I will admit to you, before I met the goat, I have a few good times with the wide rides.

If you must dabble, wait for the right moment to purchase a pair of 202 Lotus 138 Pures. Mount them with an alpine binding. I would suggest STH16s as they are light and burly. (Yes, I know both your Dads are Pivot 18 guys, but the Pure is so light it's a waste to put a big metal binding on them.) Yes, I know you think you want to tour on a big ski, but trust me when I say you don't.

Son, if the snow is so deep that your need a 138 underfoot ski, I'm worried you don't have the experience to assess the right conditions while touring. It's a different animal than resort pow. I don't want to see you get caught up in the wrong situation. A big ride and limited time reading wild snow can lead to some real emotional or physical damage. Both your dads have made mistakes in the past that could have ended badly. We don't want to see you make the same mistakes as us.

Let me tell you another thing about touring, when chasing thinner beauties up the skin track you'll find that you have to work twice as hard, recutting what others have already plowed through. Not to mention the wider types have quite an appetite to collect snow, making something that seems light very heavy, especially in our coastal goop.

If you want to get in to touring, get a lightweight touring ski in the 102 - 108mm width range, with a tech binding. I know for a fact that you can make those work in the deep stuff and have a blast while learning the sport of backcountry travel.

Son, I'm so proud of you for hitting 100 days a season. Just like your dad did back in the 00s on foam core BD Verdicts.

Love,

Dad #2

LOL!

Tech Talk strikes!

The sneaking cobra that rears out of the weeds to bite your ballsack just as you were starting to reel in a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I stockpiled. I still have 2 unmounted pair of the bamboo sidewalled dark topsheet in a 200 cm.
    I ski my mounted pairs in virtually any condition except icy days, so I'm kind of a fogster philo on the quiver deal.

Same with my bike.
    I still have old guard 200 lotus 120 flex 3 bamboo. Amazing ski. So many good memories.

Picked up a red sled 200. Obviously they are better, since they are red.

But seriously, very similar ski except slightly easier, since not flex 3. Not that the bamboo ones were hard to ski. Lotus 120 is awesome.

The only 138 I had was the o.g. Red stripe. Fun ski, but not enough platform underfoot for me to haul ass back to the lift. But man, the pivoty slidey slarvy was amazing.

Dreaming of someday getting 202 138s for magic days.
    . . .

Everyone asks me what it’s like to have two dads.. I tell them it’s incredible.

Attachment 246575

Alright you guys win. Again. No husky brusky skis for me

Dads #1 & #2 showing now to do it although I'm not sure if #2 has the true credentials for multiple reasons! Big skis like big girls...pretty much. Despite the downsides, some people just can stay away. Beetle, you know the only one with problems. Look at this guy, he must have the price of a small car wrapped up in powder skis.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Here is my current fat quiver and if u want to know where I ski u have to come to UT and I will show you

Current ski quiver
    189 pon2oon
    189 Pontoon
    183 empire 127
    189 Blizzard spur 125
    185 lotus 124 spoon
    191 renegade
    184 lotus 120
    186 kusala
    186 Kusalhasa Fat 120
    189 Billygoat 116
    186 billygoat 116
    186 countdown 110

Whyturns quiver is a masterpiece. One day I hope I can be that cool

Meh, he can only ski one set at a time.

I dont see you guys giving whyturn any shit!?!

You guys must really care about me. Awww. I have like 60 dads actually. Luckiest man alive right here

I'm pretty sure I've flipped some shit at him. I think he lived in SoCal at the time. At least now he is Utarded. I honestly don't understand it unless it is just collecting for the sake of collecting like cars or art of something. How to you even decide what skis to throw in the truck? I could sell all but one of WhyTurns skis and go the the Alps for 2 months. That's what I'd do.

It’s a September love fest

Can I be the read headed step child? I too know not much about touring

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I could sell all but one and go the the Alps for 2 months.
    Maybe I should start listening.. I want to start going to AK once a year.

Am I still allowed at BB¡?

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    It’s a September love fest

Can I be the read headed step child? I too know not much about touring
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ad.php?t=79349

Am I still allowed at BB¡?

Name:  The_Prodigal_Son_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  84.2 KB
    We will accept you with open arms, son.

The Backcountry Jong title was perfect! Why did you guys get rid of that title!?

I am a backcountry JONG.

i represent a very small sample size, but one located near tahoe. i tour in tahoe and the western slope (usually more on the western slope because it's a shorter drive). my favorite touring skis are my 2007/2008 (?) r1 192cm lotus 138. i weigh 150. i have a flexible full time day job, kids, and property, so life is full, i don't buy skis often, and my tours are often short (mornings or dawn patrol). i try to get after it when the snow is 3d (only needs to be a handful of inches), which means i grab my l138.

when avi conditions are not to my liking, i ski lower angle stuff. at one of my spots, the low angle is dense second-growth forest. even in very deep snow, the l138's are great in that forest. i can't get other narrow skis to plane-up enough to get downhill momentum for that forest to be much fun for me in the deep dense maritime snow - i've had to push myself downhill in that forest on narrow skis in those conditions

when avi conditions are mo better, i'm in more open terrain having a grand time. i've accidentally skied them on windscoured hardpack several times, i survived w/o slide for life. i often skate with them on flat/uphill snowmo packed FS roads - it's a PITA, but not a deal-killer. i've also descended super deep isothermal south facing late spring snow, it was great (and a bit sketchy because it was probably too late in the day).

in the skin track, it's not been a problem for me. the width has not been an issue in existing tracks, because of splitboards or because it's a soft powder track. also, i'm breaking trail often. i've toured a few times where it's deep/light enough that my poles were useless (sinking down below the handles), but i'm only knee-thigh deep with the l138. friends with me tried to take lead breaking trail and were well past their waist (wallowing) on narrower skis.

i once loaned a friend my l138's, and he got about 30 touring days on them in a month and a half time during a great spring tahoe powder cycle. he loved them. during that same timeframe, he also skied some l120 and a few other models of fat skis with acceptable weight for him. he ended up searching far and wide and found a pair of r1 l138 for himself. he felt all others were a compromise for powder-oriented touring.

at the time, i bought the L138 because they were light for their size and on sale.

peeps on this forum have taken my l138 love, bought some for themselves, and seem to have been disappointed. different strokes....

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I still have old guard 200 lotus 120 flex 3 bamboo. Amazing ski. So many good memories.

Picked up a red sled 200. Obviously they are better, since they are red.

But seriously, very similar ski except slightly easier, since not flex 3. Not that the bamboo ones were hard to ski. Lotus 120 is awesome.

The only 138 I had was the o.g. Red stripe. Fun ski, but not enough platform underfoot for me to haul ass back to the lift. But man, the pivoty slidey slarvy was amazing.

Dreaming of someday getting 202 138s for magic days.
    I don't like the red ones: too much rocker; I love, love LUV, the edgelength on that older profile and wished and have asked for that ski to be made again. Alas, no Buster Highmen model ….yet

Broke them last Monday:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loti.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	364785  
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-25-2021 at 09:29 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks, NM. Betel can ski very well in difficult conditions. Everyone can technically ski more better.

It’s often a beater fest in the well-traveled backcountry here in NE, at least in the spring when I’ve been out there. Lots of dudes rockin sick touring gear who blow at skiing IMO.