Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Saw a dude at WP/MJ rocking purple 138 spoons with NTNs and no poles.

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Started with Praxis pow and hit grromer and almost splitted. Great in trees but almost killed myself. skied Arg for a few seasons and great fun. 138 pure this season and got backseat. I think I need RR lessons maybe . Or maybe I just need to put bricks in the front pockets of my vest to stay forward.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've caught myself doing that back seat thing, but usually consider it more of a warm-up issue. Except, on tele, I prefer to be on something else when it's pretty cut-up and starting to set-up (typical post storm scenario at resorts in Tahoe) at the ski hill because of the back seat. I think it's a personal technique flaw....

The 138 has allowed me to make conservative choices when avi conditions are not to my liking. I can ski and have fun in lower angle dense forest in CA "powder", where typically, i would be pushing myself down the hill the hull or being very slow and careful because of the depth of the heavy and the density of the forest.

The looseness of the 138's are great! I've really enjoyed descending really dense and wet (saturated) snow, where with other skis (e.g. Bibby), I'd be struggling with not hooking my tips or tails.

Amen. 138’s really are the best 3D snow stick ever.

Can’t believe DPS cut them from the line.

I got Moment Donner Party for 50€, pretty much non skied demo ski. Tried it one slushy day last spring at Riksgränsen and felt so good! Almost like my old Praxis Pow's. I have one pair of Ion's laying around, going to mount these for tree skiing. Fun to go back R-R after many years!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TGR Forums mobile app

Little question since many of you use these skis for touring. Have you bought 140mm skins or does narrower work since it's powder only skis?

I have 140mm skis for the Spoon Still some base exposed at the edges wich is an issue on harder surfaces that I always hope I don't encounter -> so not really a problem but not ideal.
    Keep in mind to get skin that are "thin" and flexible for easy storage. These things can become huge. Split-skins might be the way to go but I never had any so I don't know if they have other disadvantages.

BTW: nice thread. Thank you summit!

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Saw a dude at WP/MJ rocking purple 138 spoons with NTNs and no poles.

Sounds like you found the drunken frenchmen!

Guy at MJ rocks the 138 spoons and that set up every day of the year, was out opening weekend or around there when only Gemini and Arrow were open and he was riding them on bulletproof groomers. Impressive. I've had Protests, Powderboards 150 Spoons and a version of the hyrbid 138's and couldn't fathom this being fun. He is more manly than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Little question since many of you use these skis for touring. Have you bought 140mm skins or does narrower work since it's powder only skis?

I have wall to wall carpeting.

You still want edge to edge skin for sidehilling.

I think 130mm or 135mm will get you that though
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Been no doubt since they were invented.
    Untracked snow orgasm.

But . . . If you have to get back to the lift line ?

Am I crazy that I don’t love my Dps spooned 138 as much as the older shapes? Paddletech = paddlemeh give me a full RR with the new construction. Sidecut sucks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

One thing I like about Summit's thread here is that it reminds me that some people in "the ski industry" are young enough nowadays to have missed the significant introduction of R/R. I guess that means I'm getting old...

For example, I fully support Blister, root for their success, and respect that they're doing things differently their own way---but then they sometimes lose some cred when their testers admit stuff like: ""Funny, I think I’ve spent more time this season on fully-rockered skis than I ever have in my life" as late as May 2017. It almost seems like they missed out on the R/R days and didn't think it was important for their ski testers/reviewers to catch up. ...At least Blister values transparency/honesty, and I respect them A TON for that. I just think we can do even better than that.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    One thing I like about Summit's thread here is that it reminds me that some people in "the ski industry" are young enough nowadays to have missed the significant introduction of R/R. I guess that means I'm getting old...

For example, I fully support Blister, root for their success, and respect that they're doing things differently their own way---but then they sometimes lose some cred when their testers admit stuff like: ""Funny, I think I’ve spent more time this season on fully-rockered skis than I ever have in my life" as late as May 2017. It almost seems like they missed out on the R/R days and didn't think it was important for their ski testers/reviewers to catch up. ...At least Blister values transparency/honesty, and I respect them A TON for that. I just think we can do even better than that.

Their two primary testers, Sam and Luke, are early 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I have 140mm skis for the Spoon Still some base exposed at the edges wich is an issue on harder surfaces that I always hope I don't encounter -> so not really a problem but not ideal.
    Keep in mind to get skin that are "thin" and flexible for easy storage. These things can become huge. Split-skins might be the way to go but I never had any so I don't know if they have other disadvantages.

BTW: nice thread. Thank you summit!
    If you're touring 138's on bindings with a Dynafit-style crampon attachment, then Spark makes a split-board crampon called the D-Rex that is a perfect fit for the 138's in the "Wide" size: https://www.sparkrandd.com/gear/d-rex/
    They're heavier and beefier than your typical touring crampon (unnecessarily so, I think)... but it's the only compatible crampon I found that fits. It does the job if you need to get the fully-rockered profile up through some crap to the goods. The riser blocks are great. However, the teeth have minimal taper in length from 1st to 3rd, and the first seems to drag a tad on release in lower-angle travel - I will likely file the first two teeth a bit shorter before next season. (For people touring fat, but not quite 138-fat, ATK makes a 135mm crampon which I would recommend over the Spark D-Rex "Regular" width for its lightness and tooth profile.)
    G3 Alpinist ski skins run to 145mm, and Pomoca makes the Climb Pro S-Glide for skis in 140mm. In any case, 140mm is the narrowest you can go for edge to edge coverage on the 138 Spoon - it will come right up to the inside of the metal edges at tip+tail widest points. If considering splitboard skins, make sure the tip and tail attachment will work reliably on your ski's profile (likely not).
    The full rocker in combination with sidecut, and the large weight distribution these provide, can result in less bite when skinning in challenging conditions but with the crampons and edge-to-edge coverage I have been making approaches with the 138's frustration-free.
    Happy surfing
    Last edited by VI; 08-14-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    REVERSE CAMBER - REVERSE SIDECUT

Let me tell you about a ski that has chaaaaaaaaaaaaaanged my life. (Imagine me as a street preacher waving around a fat ski).

DPS Lotus 138. It is the shit.

It is really the only ski anyone should be on in soft snow. Even at CO low tide. Why? Because no other ski is more forgiving on breakable crust, rock hits, and shallow snow. It lets you be super light on your feet to avoid/minimize rocks... cool for early season. But the real reason I have them is that there is no better tree ski, no better pow ski, that is also a crud ski. They also turn dust on crust to bottomless.

Sure I rock my EHPs when I want my alpine boots and want to charge hard.

Any other day over about 5/6" I'm on my DPS Lotus 138s, inbounds or not. They make tight trees super fun. They make crud feel like almost untracked. They ski breakable crust like pow. They let you ski longer because they take so much less input. That is why mine are mounted for touring, because you don't need an alpine boot to drive these. they require less boot than traditional ski (more boot doesn't hurt though). They open your beer and make sure your car never runs out of gas!!!

You can be a true soul skier and rip the ski that is the disciple of McConkeys Spatula. Lotus 138. All time best ski ever period.

Drink the koolaid yo! If I could only own two skies at all period, I'd own a DPS Lotus 138 and a something else like a Wailer 112
    Lost me there...

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Been no doubt since they were invented. Untracked snow orgasm. But . . . If you have to get back to the lift line ?
    They're really not that bad, even on soft groomers. Just get 'em up on edge with authority and stay balanced, and you're good to go with short or long radius turns. The old versions might have a 50 or 60M turn radius, but so did a lot of skis prior to the 1990's. Work it.

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Can’t believe DPS cut them from the line.
    They didn't, on the Blister podcast Drake said they'll still do a pressing once a year, even if they're not actively promoting the model.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Lost me there...
    Me as well, But I havent tried the new version. The RPC is a different animal tho. Thats a badass ski

Rocker-1 vs spooned Pure3. Haven't skied the purple people eaters yet, but TBH the profile of the R1 looks better to my eye (flat underfoot, longer/straighter tip rocker to smoothly slice through chop instead of ramming/plowing it).

The Pure3's paddle tip (plus the increased sidecut) is probably to increase edge contact for better carving on groomers. The R1 feels like ski blades on hard snow but who cares, you don't take it out those days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180904_175538~2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	246383  
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-06-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Anyone have any 190ish cm R/R skis for sale?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Wish DPS would bring out their classic shapes with new choices of the current construction. I’d love to try a Rocker 1 L138 with alchemist construction. I own the L138 in R3 and spoon. In perfect snow the R3 is amazing but it gets bucked if there is anything firm underneath the snow. The spooned L138 is interesting, but I dislike the paddletech, it’s not a R/R anymore, just a huge rockered fat ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I wish they had a cheaper, slightly heavier version of the L138 for (assuming) better chop and heavy snow performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I wish they had a cheaper, slightly heavier version of the L138 for (assuming) better chop and heavy snow performance.

light, good, cheap... pick two.

wrong tool for the job. L138 is a pow ski, not a chop ski. I have a pair of heavy AF C&D missiles if you're interested pm me.

Ode to the DPS Lotus 138 (and Volant Spatula)

I just sold some C&Ds. Everyone says that about L138, but I loved my ARGs in chop. I have seen someone say ARG better than donner party in chop, and donner party better in chop than L138. So I dont doubt what youre saying.

These would primarily be for backcountry, but may see 2-3 days of resort use per year on the deep storm days. Custom Protests or PowBoards are probably ideal. ARG never came in a longer length than 185, but they were damp.