Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    wow, i wonder if the value of those numbers would be wildly different based on the eras they played.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    wow, i wonder if the value of those numbers would be wildly different based on the eras they played.
    Trot Nixon career WAR: 21

He played in an era when all star outfielder tended to have an OPS close to or over 1. Bonds, Ramirez and McGuire are all top ten all time in career OPS. Highest 80's guy on the list is Mike Schmidt at #55.

Nixon did hit Rodger Clemens well, though, so I'd put him in the Hall of Fame for sure.

Yeah, I mean, Nixon had success in an era called October, if you want to give him credit for that.

Did Mattingly ever play in October?
    Decisions Decisions

A's now 1 behind the yank for home field for the play in game, looks like it'll happen as the A's have a much easier road to seasons end with the M's just once and the yanks still have the bosox twice and the rays.

I'm liking that.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Lots of hate for Donny Baseball, lol.

I'm a Mets fan so I don't even think he was the best first baseman of his era in New York. Still, there was a brief time where he was one of the very best players in baseball. And "contact hitter", sheesh, 30+ HRs meant a lot back then.

But still, he is a strong member of the Hall of the Very Good, and no way does he deserve entry into the Hall of Fame.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Yeah, I mean, Nixon had success in an era called October, if you want to give him credit for that.
    nixon did well given his at bats, but i don’t see how you knock a guy for lacking the opportunity to come to the plate.

mattingly had one opportunity and hit 420 but they lost.

don sutton so far is the don of dons it seems. what a career.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    A's now 1 behind the yank for home field for the play in game, looks like it'll happen as the A's have a much easier road to seasons end with the M's just once and the yanks still have the bosox twice and the rays.

I'm liking that.
    A's playing better ball than Yankees at the moment. Yankees have a tough remaining schedule, 6/16 against the Sux and a series w/ TB. I think the A's will probably get home field, especially with the Yankees not hitting.

Astros are going to win the AL
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I'm a Mets fan so I don't even think he was the best first baseman of his era in New York.
    Fuck I thought of that last night! Second best mustache too
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Fuck I thought of that last night! Second best mustache too
    Hernandez summary stats:

SUMMARY

Career

WAR

AB

R

H

BA

HR

RBI

SB

OBP

SLG

OPS

OPS+

Mattingly:

SUMMARY

Career

WAR

AB

R

H

BA

HR

RBI

SB

OBP

SLG

OPS

OPS+

Best Stache:

Hernandez gets gnar points for being on Seinfeld
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 09-13-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Mid Sept and we are debating fucking Trot v Donny? I mean, it's a step up in the Don v Don version, but barely.

Not much else to debate. Yankees not pulling their weight.

Mattingly had a ridiculous mustache. In a good way

Yo Ice wake up
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post

Yo Ice wake up
    How'd you know? 9th inning and I fell asleep, yeesh.

Haha I was drinking didn't see you on the interwebs
    Decisions Decisions

Yeah I was super tired and fighting it for a couple innings, I remember the 9th starting and boom, out.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    A's playing better ball than Yankees at the moment. Yankees have a tough remaining schedule, 6/16 against the Sux and a series w/ TB. I think the A's will probably get home field, especially with the Yankees not hitting.

Astros are going to win the AL

maybe not, Astros play diamondbacks this weekend and diamondbacks need to take 2 of 3 or they are probably out of the nl west race considering their recent slide. if they do, that could put the A's back in for the al west race and if the Astros fall to the play in game, it's 50/50 they move on.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

dave wright retires today. he had a great run before the injuries. wish it was the mets ownership stepping down and not him. the city is more interesting with two winners in town and man do they suck.

dave wright retires today. he had a great run before the injuries. wish it was the mets ownership stepping down and not him. the city is more interesting with two winners in town and man do they suck.
    He fits right in with Nomar and Mattingly in the Half Decade Hall of Fame (along with Kerry Wood, Jim Rice, and plenty of others)

yea, i agree.

he fits in pretty well especially with previous generations because he aged and regressed fairly normally. his 7 year peak war of 40 isn’t so far off of the average hof 3b at 43, but he falls a few seasons short of a like in case.

the 200 mil in the bank should console him if he falls off the vote in the first year or two.

My son just told me Judge is off the DL- but only for defense and base running- no hitting yet. I agree about Wright. Hopefully he’s careful with his money

I'm sure he's cutting coupons as we speak.

Nitpicking, but Wright didn't retire today. He's going to come off the DL and make one more MLB start. And even then, he isn't officially retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    He fits right in with Nomar and Mattingly in the Half Decade Hall of Fame (along with Kerry Wood, Jim Rice, and plenty of others)
    Wright had almost a decade of solid play. He had 10 seasons of at least 1.8 WAR, and 8 seasons over 4 WAR.

I'm not sure he belongs in the Hall of the Very Good, because his career was on HoF pace, but ultimately injuries kept him from that.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Wright had almost a decade of solid play. He had 10 seasons of at least 1.8 WAR, and 8 seasons over 4 WAR.
    In his first seven seasons Nomar had 6 years of WAR over 6, two of which were over 7, and one year lost to injury. Then a whole bunch of nothing. Mattingly had some very good and great years then a decline to solid contributor. Wright was similar but somehow managed a nice resurgence after a couple down years. But I think they all have a lot in common. They were guys who looked like Hall of Famers on paper and on the field, more so than guys like Biggio or Eddie Murray who were good for ever, but rarely made you say "wow." Then injury took away what made them special. If those three stay healthy they're among the best players of their era.

Agree with that characterization, it was the half-decade thing that irked me (because as a Mets fan I knew it was longer than that).

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    In his first seven seasons Nomar had 6 years of WAR over 6, two of which were over 7, and one year lost to injury. Then a whole bunch of nothing. Mattingly had some very good and great years then a decline to solid contributor. Wright was similar but somehow managed a nice resurgence after a couple down years. But I think they all have a lot in common. They were guys who looked like Hall of Famers on paper and on the field, more so than guys like Biggio or Eddie Murray who were good for ever, but rarely made you say "wow." Then injury took away what made them special. If those three stay healthy they're among the best players of their era.
    Agreed in general. But people forget how good Biggio was at his peak. Baseball reference has him at 9.4 WAR in 1997, for example. I remember the Bill James essay comparing him to Griffey.

I guess 2b is always under-appreciated and the twilight of his career chasing 3000 hits as a meh corner outfielder left a bad impression.